Topics

Backup app for W10 (Re: [DXLab] Windows 10 Blackscreen

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 1:12 PM w6de <w6de@...> wrote:

Every computer system will fail someday. Usually the disks fail before the computer itself--but the computer WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL! You should consider a computer system as a consumable and plan on replacing it before it does fail. At six years old it is already obsolete and already giving you issues, you should replace the computer now, rather than waiting for the disaster to arrive. he
I can't live with that level of fear. I *won't*.

I ran a 2006 Dell P670 tower at N5UWY from about 2014 until 2017 (it
was a cast-off from work). Replaced it with a NUC, which was a
revelation on several levels (it's mounted on the VESA mount on the
back of my display now). I don't fear it's doom any more than I did
the Dell.

Since neither PC was my daily driver (that's a 2015 Macbook Pro with a
Retina display) I only ever backed up my DXKeeper DB and my TQSL
certificates (and config) because these days both applications make it
far too easy to back up that stuff (to Dropbox in my case).

I don't fear my Macbook's impending doom either, but that I *do* back
it up because Time Machine makes it way too easy.

Now then ... what is the Time Machine equivalent of Windows 10? Time
Machine is just part of OS X and has been for years at this point.
It's always backing your stuff up but it only protects you against
accidental deletions until you plug in an external disk. When you do
that, it makes a bigger backup that is obviously not on the same disk
(like the all-the-time backups) giving you some resiliency against the
failure that keeps some of you up all night. The restore interface is
fabulous, too.

If I can find a similar application for Windows 10, I will very likely
use it. But what is it?

+ AA6YQ comments bellow

[...]

+ A continuous automatic backup mechanism pretty much has to be provided by an Operating System service. I'm not aware of Microsoft providing this capability.

+ I suggest the following actions to reduce your fear:

1. terminate all DXLab applications except the Launcher, and direct the Launcher to populate a Workspace with your DXLab application settings

2. direct TQSL to backup its settings to a .tbk file

3. Configure a local backup and recovery application to create a daily backup to an external drive of
- the Workspace created in step 1
- the .tbk file created in step 3, your log file(s)
- the Override List (if used),
- the Special Callsign List (if used)
- and band or mode definition files you've customized

4. Configure the local backup and recovery application's retention policy to balance risk with disk space consumption (at minimum, I recommend a 7-day retention)

5. Configure an off-site backup and recovery application to create a daily backup of the files listed in step 3 on a cloud-hosted site, with a retention policy that balances risk with space consumption

6. after making any permanent change to a DXLab application, terminate that application and direct the Launcher to update the Workspace created in step 1 with the application's settings

+ The details are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/BackupRecovery>

+ This will enable you to recover without data loss from computer failure (computer won't power up, damaged hard drive, Windows won't boot, can't access files) and from local disasters (flood, fire, etc.)

+ Recovery from a serious failure will require repairing or replacing failed hardware, re-installing Windows, re-installing DXLab applications, restoring files saved in step 3 above, and directing the Launcher to restore the DXLab application settings save in steps 1 and 6. The recovery process can be accelerated by replacing step 3 above with a daily "image backup" to an external drive; this reduces recovery to "copy the most recent image backup from the external drive to your computer's hard drive" and boot Windows.

+ There are other steps one can take to reduce the probability of catastrophic failure, e.g.

1. power your computer from an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) that protects against voltage transients

2. install proper lighting protection

3. use RAID (redundant) disk arrays that tolerate a single drive failure

Rick Boswell

Fear motivates us to sometimes take unreasonable precautions. I have been at the PC game since acquiring a Mac in 1984. Went over to DOS and Windows around 1990. To date I have never had an "incident" (hardware, software bug, virus, etc) resulting in data loss and have never had to resort to using a backup to recover. That said, I am persuaded to take some precautions. I run Win 10 exclusively now on 10 different computers and do back up the ones I consider "critical," but not all computers. I use a two tiered approach. My serious backup software is Acronis True Image: excellent reviews, flexible.  and never a problem. I also use the Windows system image tool (found under the Backup & Restore section in Control Panel). These are setup to automatically create a backup weekly a few days apart. Nothing I do on a computer requires more than two backups per week. Both of these can be scheduled to run as often as you like. Given my experience, seems like overkill, but easy enough to do.

Rick
K8EZB

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

[...]

My writing could have been more clear, I guess: I don't care. :-)
The only thing that would make me sad if they were to disappear would
be my DXKeeper DB and my TQSL certificates and configs so I back those
up. Everything else is disposable.

But if there were a Windows back tool that was as simple to use at
Time Machine, I'd probably use it. I see "File History" and it lets
me backup to an external disk so I will look at that ... I assume
it's an actual backup tool (judging from the settings) and not some
magical Microsoft fake backup thing.

Buck

DxLab can be configured to automatically back up to DropBox every time you exit the program. A 5 Gig DropBox account is free and more than ample to hold the DxLab data secure and offsite. If your computer is stolen or lost in a fire, an in-house backup is gone.

k4ia, Buck
K3# 101
Honor Roll 8B DXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 2/23/2019 4:03 PM, Rick Boswell wrote:
[...]

John H. Long Jr.

Where do I go to get the FREE 5 Gb DropBox?

John H. Long Jr.
KW7A
1370 N 150 E
Nephi, UT 84648
USA

(435) 888-LONG

DxLab can be configured to automatically back up to DropBox every time
you exit the program. A 5 Gig DropBox account is free and more than
ample to hold the DxLab data secure and offsite. If your computer is
stolen or lost in a fire, an in-house backup is gone.

k4ia, Buck
K3# 101
Honor Roll 8B DXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 2/23/2019 4:03 PM, Rick Boswell wrote:
> Fear motivates us to sometimes take unreasonable precautions. I have
> been at the PC game since acquiring a Mac in 1984. Went over to DOS and
> Windows around 1990. To date I have never had an "incident" (hardware,
> software bug, virus, etc) resulting in data loss and have never had to
> resort to using a backup to recover. That said, I am persuaded to take
> some precautions. I run Win 10 exclusively now on 10 different computers
> and do back up the ones I consider "critical," but not all computers. I
> use a two tiered approach. My serious backup software is Acronis True
> Image: excellent reviews, flexible.  and never a problem. I also use the
> Windows system image tool (found under the Backup & Restore section in
> Control Panel). These are setup to automatically create a backup weekly
> a few days apart. Nothing I do on a computer requires more than two
> backups per week. Both of these can be scheduled to run as often as you
> like. Given my experience, seems like overkill, but easy enough to do.
>
> Rick
> K8EZB

d_ziolkowski

Dropbox.com

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019, 11:42 John H. Long Jr. <john@...> wrote:
Where do I go to get the FREE 5 Gb DropBox?

John H. Long Jr.
KW7A
1370 N 150 E
Nephi, UT 84648
USA

(435) 888-LONG

DxLab can be configured to automatically back up to DropBox every time
you exit the program. A 5 Gig DropBox account is free and more than
ample to hold the DxLab data secure and offsite. If your computer is
stolen or lost in a fire, an in-house backup is gone.

k4ia, Buck
K3# 101
Honor Roll 8B DXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 2/23/2019 4:03 PM, Rick Boswell wrote:
> Fear motivates us to sometimes take unreasonable precautions. I have
> been at the PC game since acquiring a Mac in 1984. Went over to DOS and
> Windows around 1990. To date I have never had an "incident" (hardware,
> software bug, virus, etc) resulting in data loss and have never had to
> resort to using a backup to recover. That said, I am persuaded to take
> some precautions. I run Win 10 exclusively now on 10 different computers
> and do back up the ones I consider "critical," but not all computers. I
> use a two tiered approach. My serious backup software is Acronis True
> Image: excellent reviews, flexible.  and never a problem. I also use the
> Windows system image tool (found under the Backup & Restore section in
> Control Panel). These are setup to automatically create a backup weekly
> a few days apart. Nothing I do on a computer requires more than two
> backups per week. Both of these can be scheduled to run as often as you
> like. Given my experience, seems like overkill, but easy enough to do.
>
> Rick
> K8EZB

Buck

https://www.dropbox.com/individual

Buck, k4ia
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 2/25/2019 11:42 AM, John H. Long Jr. wrote:
Where do I go to get the FREE 5 Gb DropBox?
John H. Long Jr.
KW7A
1370 N 150 E
Nephi, UT 84648
USA
(435) 888-LONG
DxLab can be configured to automatically back up to DropBox every time
you exit the program. A 5 Gig DropBox account is free and more than
ample to hold the DxLab data secure and offsite. If your computer is
stolen or lost in a fire, an in-house backup is gone.
k4ia, Buck
K3# 101
Honor Roll 8B DXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com
On 2/23/2019 4:03 PM, Rick Boswell wrote:
> Fear motivates us to sometimes take unreasonable precautions. I have
> been at the PC game since acquiring a Mac in 1984. Went over to
DOS and
> Windows around 1990. To date I have never had an "incident"
(hardware,
> software bug, virus, etc) resulting in data loss and have never
had to
> resort to using a backup to recover. That said, I am persuaded to
take
> some precautions. I run Win 10 exclusively now on 10 different
computers
> and do back up the ones I consider "critical," but not all
computers. I
> use a two tiered approach. My serious backup software is Acronis
True
> Image: excellent reviews, flexible.  and never a problem. I also
use the
> Windows system image tool (found under the Backup & Restore
section in
> Control Panel). These are setup to automatically create a backup
weekly
> a few days apart. Nothing I do on a computer requires more than two
> backups per week. Both of these can be scheduled to run as often
as you
> like. Given my experience, seems like overkill, but easy enough
to do.

> Rick
> K8EZB

KA9JAC

FYI
its only 2Gb

On 2/25/2019 1:52 PM, Buck wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/individual

Buck, k4ia
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 2/25/2019 11:42 AM, John H. Long Jr. wrote:
Where do I go to get the FREE 5 Gb DropBox?
John H. Long Jr.
KW7A
1370 N 150 E
Nephi, UT 84648
USA
(435) 888-LONG

    DxLab can be configured to automatically back up to DropBox every time
    you exit the program. A 5 Gig DropBox account is free and more than
    ample to hold the DxLab data secure and offsite. If your computer is
    stolen or lost in a fire, an in-house backup is gone.

    k4ia, Buck
    K3# 101
    Honor Roll 8B DXCC
    EasyWayHamBooks.com

    On 2/23/2019 4:03 PM, Rick Boswell wrote:
     > Fear motivates us to sometimes take unreasonable precautions. I have
     > been at the PC game since acquiring a Mac in 1984. Went over to
    DOS and
     > Windows around 1990. To date I have never had an "incident"
    (hardware,
     > software bug, virus, etc) resulting in data loss and have never
    had to
     > resort to using a backup to recover. That said, I am persuaded to
    take
     > some precautions. I run Win 10 exclusively now on 10 different
    computers
     > and do back up the ones I consider "critical," but not all
    computers. I
     > use a two tiered approach. My serious backup software is Acronis
    True
     > Image: excellent reviews, flexible.  and never a problem. I also
    use the
     > Windows system image tool (found under the Backup & Restore
    section in
     > Control Panel). These are setup to automatically create a backup
    weekly
     > a few days apart. Nothing I do on a computer requires more than two
     > backups per week. Both of these can be scheduled to run as often
    as you
     > like. Given my experience, seems like overkill, but easy enough
    to do.

     > Rick
     > K8EZB

---
https://www.avg.com

Norman Heyen

Is there an explanation about just how to setup DXLab to auto-save to Dropbox? That would be much better than me trying to remember to save settings manually.
Thanks!
Norman

On February 24, 2019 at 5:12 PM Buck <RadioK4ia@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike, K9UW

Hi Norman,

DXKeeper > Config > Log Tab > Backup folder panel

73,

Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI

[...]

Thanks Mike,
I thought there might be a way to save the backup directly to Dropbox. All I see is a directory path. I don't see a way to make the connection to Dropbox. Running DXK 14.8.5 if that matters.
I've got another app that has a menu item to save directly to Dropbox, not saving to a Dropbox folder on the desktop and all of that.
Norman

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 3:26 PM Norman Heyen <n.heyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Mike,
I thought there might be a way to save the backup directly to Dropbox. All I see is a directory path. I don't see a way to make the connection to Dropbox. Running DXK 14.8.5 if that matters.
I've got another app that has a menu item to save directly to Dropbox, not saving to a Dropbox folder on the desktop and all of that.

Dropbox sets up a directory path like any other disk in Microsoft
land. You put it in there, you're done. Assuming you run the Dropbox
program at boottime so that the archive is there.

Buck

It has been a while since I did this but here goes:

Download Dropbox to your computer and register for the free account. Then direct DxLab to do the backup to the Dropbox folder on your computer. Dropbox will grab whatever is in the folder and back it up to the cloud. You can go through the Dropbox app and delete old backups periodically to clear it out.

You can earn more space by referring friends. If you have more than one email address, you can earn more space by referring yourself.

Buck, k4ia
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 2/25/2019 4:26 PM, Norman Heyen wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the clear explanation, I'll get this setup today. I've had a Dropbox account for years but seldom use it.
Thanks!
Norman