Topics

2nd CAT serial port to feed Flex PGXL frequency data

Jeff AC0C

Dave,

I've got a Flex PGXL which will accept frequency data from a CAT feed in the specific form of the Kenwood IF command.  That's the IF+11digits+semicolon sequence.

I'm trying to drive a physical serial port on my computer that's tied to the PGXL serial port and feeding the serial port with the 2nd CAT feed.  I'm assuming that commander when pointed to a real serial port has no problem to work that way (instead of feeding a virtual port).

By using the very handy MSGS feature in commander it looks like all of the CAT protocol in commander use the FA command instead.

So two questions for you if you can...

1. Confirm commander's 2nd CAT serial port will drive a physical serial port on the PC

2. Can I add somehow an option to use a CAT protocol that would feed the Kenwood IF response string out to this port?

Thanks!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com

I've got a Flex PGXL which will accept frequency data from a CAT feed in the specific form of the Kenwood IF command. That's the IF+11digits+semicolon sequence.

+ When configured to use the Kenwood protocol, Commander sends frequency updates using the FA command, not the IF command. The IF command includes all sorts of information besides frequency - like mode, split, and RX/TX status.

I'm trying to drive a physical serial port on my computer that's tied to
the PGXL serial port and feeding the serial port with the 2nd CAT feed.
I'm assuming that commander when pointed to a real serial port has no
problem to work that way (instead of feeding a virtual port).

+ Correct.

By using the very handy MSGS feature in commander it looks like all of
the CAT protocol in commander use the FA command instead.

+ Correct.

So two questions for you if you can...

1. Confirm commander's 2nd CAT serial port will drive a physical serial
port on the PC

+ It can.

2. Can I add somehow an option to use a CAT protocol that would feed the
Kenwood IF response string out to this port?

+ Please post a description of the IF command contents as expected by your amplifier, and I will send you an extended new version of Commander that supports it via the Secondary CAT port.

# More AA6YQ comments below

I've got a Flex PGXL which will accept frequency data from a CAT feed in the specific form of the Kenwood IF command. That's the IF+11digits+semicolon sequence>snip<
+ Please post a description of the IF command contents as expected by your amplifier, and I will send you an extended new version of Commander that supports it via the Secondary CAT port.
# Thanks for the IF command documentation. I've sent you a new version of Commander whose Protocol selector on the "Secondary CAT Port" panel includes a new "FlexRadio PGXL" option. Please let me know how it goes..