Topics

DXView, Database updates, DX lookups & Rotor control enable feature request

Dave AA6YQ

Steve K2SN's recommendation below has been added to the "Commercial Interfaces" section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingKenwood>

Thanks, Steve!

Dave, AA6YQ

In connecting my TS-990 to a computer I had problems with both FTDI and Prolific chipsets. The problem was solved by following the recommendation of:

Leo Fahmie KJ6HI DM03

Amateur Radio Technical Support

Service Division / Communication Sector

JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation

Long Beach, CA 90810

kcc-amateur@...

Hours: M ~ F 8:30 ~ 4:30 P.M. PST

Phone: (310) 639-4200 voice prompts 4, 1

Leo said:

If you plan to use a DB-9 to a USB cable to connect to your PC from the

DB-9 serial connection on back panel of the TS-990S I would only recommend one cable.

RT Systems USB-63

This cable works on ALL Kenwood HF transceivers with a DB-9 serial connection including the TS-990S, and TS-890S.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/USB-63-Programming-CAT-Cable-p/usb-63.htm

I followed his instructions with excellent results.

73, Steve K2SN

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Morrison
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:46 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] DXView, Database updates, DX lookups & Rotor control enable feature request

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:31 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ If that's the case, the device driver is defective. Can you use a USB-to-serial-port-converter and connect to the controller's serial port?

Its actually sort of odd. It doesn't use the usual gang of USB to serial chipsets like FTDI or Prolific. Basically its a generic device called "USB Serial Device (COMx)". It doesn't require any drivers, all you do is plug the usb cable in and it loads the generic MS Windows usbser.sys driver. The power switch on the controller is a cold boot, there's no power left on the controller when its switched off. There is no device detection when the USB cable is connected until power is applied to the controller. Even then its a bit different, it didn't detect like a normal device when first attached and it doesn't do any type of search each time the controller is powered back on. It simply disappears and reappears each time.

When it disappears and reappears, its doing something that's confusing Windows, because DXV must think that port is still open and can't talk to it. Toggling the Enable in DXV fixes it, and I'm not sure what to think about the double clicking of the direction.. but it always takes two clicks the first time.

Charlie
N5WE

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Stephen Rabinowitz

In connecting my TS-990 to a computer I had problems with both FTDI and Prolific chipsets. The problem was solved by following the recommendation of:

Leo Fahmie KJ6HI DM03

Amateur Radio Technical Support

Service Division / Communication Sector

JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation

Long Beach, CA 90810

kcc-amateur@...

Hours: M ~ F 8:30 ~ 4:30 P.M. PST

Phone: (310) 639-4200 voice prompts 4, 1

Leo said:

If you plan to use a DB-9 to a USB cable to connect to your PC from the

DB-9 serial connection on back panel of the TS-990S I would only recommend one cable.

RT Systems USB-63

This cable works on ALL Kenwood HF transceivers with a DB-9 serial connection including the TS-990S, and TS-890S. 

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/USB-63-Programming-CAT-Cable-p/usb-63.htm

I followed his instructions with excellent results.

73, Steve K2SN

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Morrison
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:46 AM
Subject: Re: [DXLab] DXView, Database updates, DX lookups & Rotor control enable feature request

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ If that's the case, the device driver is defective. Can you use a USB-to-serial-port-converter and connect to the controller's serial port?

Its actually sort of odd.  It doesn't use the usual gang of USB to serial chipsets like FTDI or Prolific.  Basically its a generic device called "USB Serial Device (COMx)".  It doesn't require any drivers, all you do is plug the usb cable in and it loads the generic MS Windows usbser.sys driver.  The power switch on the controller is a cold boot, there's no power left on the controller when its switched off.  There is  no device detection when the USB cable is connected until power is applied to the controller.  Even then its a bit different, it didn't detect like a normal device when first attached and it doesn't do any type of search each time the controller is powered back on.  It simply disappears and reappears each time.  

When it disappears and reappears, its doing something that's confusing Windows, because DXV must think that port is still open and can't talk to it.  Toggling the Enable in DXV fixes it, and I'm not sure what to think about the double clicking of the direction.. but it always takes two clicks the first time.

Charlie
N5WE

Charles Morrison

+ AA6YQ comments below

Its actually sort of odd.  It doesn't use the usual gang of USB to serial chipsets like FTDI or Prolific.  Basically its a generic device called "USB Serial Device (COMx)".  It doesn't require any drivers, all you do is plug the usb cable in and it loads the generic MS Windows usbser.sys driver.  The power switch on the controller is a cold boot, there's no power left on the controller when its switched off.  There is  no device detection when the USB cable is connected until power is applied to the controller.  Even then its a bit different, it didn't detect like a normal device when first attached and it doesn't do any type of search each time the controller is powered back on.  It simply disappears and reappears each time.  

When it disappears and reappears, its doing something that's confusing Windows, because DXV must think that port is still open and can't talk to it.  Toggling the Enable in DXV fixes it, and I'm not sure what to think about the double clicking of the direction.. but it always takes two clicks the first time.

Charlie
N5WE

Charles Morrison

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:18 PM, Stephen Rabinowitz wrote:
I have a similar setup. Connecting the Green Heron to the computer with a DB (I forget the exact name) rather than a USB fixed the problem.
73, Steve K2SN

Sent from BlueMail
On Mar 28, 2020, at 10:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

I figured switching to the DB9 on the back would most likely fix the problem.  The port its plugged into on the comp won't disappear when the controller is powered down.

Charlie
N5WE

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 09:26 PM, Charles Morrison wrote:

Perhaps a bad choice of wording.  It doesn't change the fact that this scenario is repeatable, but I'll get used to unchecking and rechecking the enable box each time I turn the controller on.  The bottom line is that with this controller I can't power it off and back on without either exiting and restarting DXV, unchecking and rechecking the enable box or as Steve says in the next message, use the serial port.

Dave, AA6YQ

Charles Morrison

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 09:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
+ Closing DXView's Configuration window has no impact on anything. Unchecking Enable will close the serial port, checking it will re-open the serial port. If clicking the bearing button twice is required, that peculiar to the rotator.
Thanks, checking and unchecking does preclude closing and reopening the config dialog.  I hadn't tried that.
+ No other Green Heron user is reporting the need for that.
I can't comment on that, but its completely repeatable EVERY time with this RT21 connected via the USB port (which as you know disappears when you turn it off).  If I leave DXV running and power it off and back on, DXV cannot send a direction to the controller without (now I know) unchecking and rechecking the Enable box in the config.  Perhaps most of them are like Steve and use the serial port, or open and close DXV.  Just thought I'd ask.

+ DXView can't "lose the port". It can direct Windows to close the port (when you uncheck, the Enable box), and it can direct Windows to open the port (when you check the Enable box). Everything else is the responsibility of Windows, the serial port device driver, the serial port, and the rotator controller.
Perhaps a bad choice of wording.  It doesn't change the fact that this scenario is repeatable, but I'll get used to unchecking and rechecking the enable box each time I turn the controller on.  The bottom line is that with this controller I can't power it off and back on without either exiting and restarting DXV, unchecking and rechecking the enable box or as Steve says in the next message, use the serial port.

Charlie
N5WE

Stephen Rabinowitz

I have a similar setup. Connecting the Green Heron to the computer with a DB (I forget the exact name) rather than a USB fixed the problem.
73, Steve K2SN

Sent from BlueMail

On Mar 28, 2020, at 10:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

The Green Heron RT21 that I have is an older serial model and its usb port also disappears when you power it off. But I have a different problem. Art's issue is that he forgot to turn it on before starting up DXV. So the "Enable on Startup" fixes his issue of re-finding the now powered on port when he starts DXV. The issue that I have is that I'm leaving DXV running continuously. The issue is when you turn the controller off and the port goes away, DXV doesn't re-establish communication with the controller after you turn on.

With DXV left running, when I return to the shack and turn the controller on, I have to go into config in DXV, uncheck (regardless of the Enable on Startup), close config, go back into config and check enable, and then hit the bearing button TWICE. Then it will reconnect to the USB port and send the coordinates.

+ Closing DXView's Configuration window has no impact on anything. Unchecking Enable will close the serial port, checking it will re-open the serial port. If clicking the bearing button twice is required, that peculiar to the rotator.

I'm not sure what to ask Dave to do, but I'm thinking the TWICE clicking of the direction button has some input. Maybe if the rotator is set to Green Heron, each rotate request checks the port, if available resets the data (is that what the first click does?), then sends the rotate command.

I haven't checked the serial port on the back of the controller, but given the previous thread I'm guessing its related to the fact that the Green Heron's port disappears when its turned off. DXV loses that port somewhere along the way and when you turn it back on, it won't communicate with it until you go through the above procedure to disable and reenable and send the request twice.

+ DXView can't "lose the port". It can direct Windows to close the port (when you uncheck, the Enable box), and it can direct Windows to open the port (when you check the Enable box). Everything else is the responsibility of Windows, the serial port device driver, the serial port, and the rotator controller.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

The Green Heron RT21 that I have is an older serial model and its usb port also disappears when you power it off. But I have a different problem. Art's issue is that he forgot to turn it on before starting up DXV. So the "Enable on Startup" fixes his issue of re-finding the now powered on port when he starts DXV. The issue that I have is that I'm leaving DXV running continuously. The issue is when you turn the controller off and the port goes away, DXV doesn't re-establish communication with the controller after you turn on.

With DXV left running, when I return to the shack and turn the controller on, I have to go into config in DXV, uncheck (regardless of the Enable on Startup), close config, go back into config and check enable, and then hit the bearing button TWICE. Then it will reconnect to the USB port and send the coordinates.

I'm not sure what to ask Dave to do, but I'm thinking the TWICE clicking of the direction button has some input. Maybe if the rotator is set to Green Heron, each rotate request checks the port, if available resets the data (is that what the first click does?), then sends the rotate command.

I haven't checked the serial port on the back of the controller, but given the previous thread I'm guessing its related to the fact that the Green Heron's port disappears when its turned off. DXV loses that port somewhere along the way and when you turn it back on, it won't communicate with it until you go through the above procedure to disable and reenable and send the request twice.

Dave, AA6YQ

Charles Morrison

Since I just picked one up at the hamfest, I'm reviving this old thread:

The Green Heron RT21 that I have is an older serial model and its usb port also disappears when you power it off.  But I have a different problem.  Art's issue is that he forgot to turn it on before starting up DXV.  So the "Enable on Startup" fixes his issue of re-finding the now powered on port when he starts DXV.  The issue that I have is that I'm leaving DXV running continuously.  The issue is when you turn the controller off and the port goes away, DXV doesn't re-establish communication with the controller after you turn on.

I'm not sure what to ask Dave to do, but I'm thinking the TWICE clicking of the direction button has some input.  Maybe if the rotator is set to Green Heron, each rotate request checks the port, if available resets the data (is that what the first click does?), then sends the rotate command. 

I haven't checked the serial port on the back of the controller, but given the previous thread I'm guessing its related to the fact that the Green Heron's port disappears when its turned off.  DXV loses that port somewhere along the way and when you turn it back on, it won't communicate with it until you go through the above procedure to disable and reenable and send the request twice.

Charlie
N5WE

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
Thanks, Art. It’s the absence of the specified serial port caused by the non-existent USB connection that causes DXView to disable rotator control. I'll provide an option to work around that.

Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of ART SEARLE via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:39 AM

+ What do you have selected in the Model panel on the "Rotator Control" tab of DXView's Configuration window?

DXView ver 4.3.6

Model:
Green Heron
Hygain
MDS
Rotor-EZ

USB connection, Com2, 4800, 8, 1, None

Scomm version 9.1.12

The rotor is a 10 year old Ham IV

I don’t know how old the Green Heron is. It is a model RT-21 ser #01052.

73, Art, W2NRA

Dave AA6YQ

Thanks, Art. It’s the absence of the specified serial port caused by the non-existent USB connection that causes DXView to disable rotator control. I'll provide an option to work around that.

Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of ART SEARLE via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:39 AM

+ What do you have selected in the Model panel on the "Rotator Control" tab of DXView's Configuration window?

DXView ver 4.3.6

Model:
Green Heron
Hygain
MDS
Rotor-EZ

Scomm version 9.1.12

I don’t know how old the Green Heron is. It is a model RT-21 ser #01052.

73, Art, W2NRA

On Nov 12, 2018, at 10:50 AM, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Feature request: To enable rotor control from main DXView window.

When doing paperwork and not running the whole DXLab Suite I often open just DXView to do database updates, or Data lookups. I often forget to turn on my rotor. This disables rotor control. So I have to hunt down the enable box again.

Not a biggie. Just a minor annoyance.

+ From DXView's Main window, it takes 2 mouse clicks to reach the Configuration window's "Rotator Control" tab; that doesn't justify replicating a configuration option on DXView's Main window. But I would like to understand why starting DXView with your rotor powered down disables rotor control.

Dave, AA6YQ

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

ART W2NRA

DXView ver 4.3.6

Model:
Green Heron
Hygain
MDS
Rotor-EZ

Scomm version 9.1.12

I don’t know how old the Green Heron is.  It is a model RT-21 ser #01052. 

73, Art, W2NRA

On Nov 12, 2018, at 10:50 AM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

When doing paperwork and not running the whole DXLab Suite I often open just DXView to do database updates, or Data lookups. I often forget to turn on my rotor. This disables rotor control. So I have to hunt down the enable box again.

+ From DXView's Main window, it takes 2 mouse clicks to reach the Configuration window's "Rotator Control" tab; that doesn't justify replicating a configuration option on DXView's Main window. But I would like to understand why starting DXView with your rotor powered down disables rotor control.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I have the same thing occur. I use a Green Heron rotor control and if it is not powered up the USB port does not exist when DXView is started.

+ Oh, I see. I'll think about adding an "enable rotator control at startup if possible" option to deal with that.

+ Thanks, Paul!

Dave, AA6YQ

On 11/12/2018 9:50 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, AA6YQ

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Paul W5PF

Dave,

I have the same thing occur. I use a Green Heron rotor control and if it is not powered up the USB port does not exist when DXView is started. As you say not hard to to go to config to re enable it.

73 and thanks,

Paul W5PF

On 11/12/2018 9:50 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, AA6YQ

ART W2NRA

73, Art, W2NRA