Topics

VP6D Bearing and Distance

Mark Robinson

If I look at DXWatch it tells me that Ducie Island is  at 272 degrees and 1870 miles from my QTH in Raleigh NC.  This information comes from the QRZ database.  If I look at DXView it gives me the same information.

If I actually measure it on DX Atlas, the bearing is 223. degrees and Ducie is  5148 miles away approximately  give or take 50 miles or so.

I presume that the QRZ database is incorrect.  Does DXView get it's data from the QRZ database ?

73 Mark N1UK

If I look at DXWatch it tells me that Ducie Island is at 272 degrees and 1870 miles from my QTH in Raleigh NC. This information comes from the QRZ database. If I look at DXView it gives me the same information.

If I actually measure it on DX Atlas, the bearing is 223. degrees and Ducie is 5148 miles away approximately give or take 50 miles or so.

I presume that the QRZ database is incorrect. Does DXView get it's data from the QRZ database ?

+ No, DXView gets the location of Ducie Island (Grid CG75so) from DXLa's DXCC database (unless you've defined an override that specifies a different location), and gets your location from the QTH panel on the General tab of DXView's Configuration window.

+ What grid square is shown in DXView's Main window when it's showing you that the distance is 1870 miles.

Mark Robinson

The grid square is shown as DM42mk .    Is it picking up the Tucson Arizona address.    DX Watch is showing the same distance

73 Mark N1UK

On 23-Oct-18 8:56 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

If I look at DXWatch it tells me that Ducie Island is at 272 degrees and 1870 miles from my QTH in Raleigh NC. This information comes from the QRZ database. If I look at DXView it gives me the same information.

If I actually measure it on DX Atlas, the bearing is 223. degrees and Ducie is 5148 miles away approximately give or take 50 miles or so.

I presume that the QRZ database is incorrect. Does DXView get it's data from the QRZ database ?

+ No, DXView gets the location of Ducie Island (Grid CG75so) from DXLa's DXCC database (unless you've defined an override that specifies a different location), and gets your location from the QTH panel on the General tab of DXView's Configuration window.

+ What grid square is shown in DXView's Main window when it's showing you that the distance is 1870 miles.

Mark Robinson

It  is fixed....did you fix it Dave?

73 Mark N1UK

On 23-Oct-18 9:26 PM, Mark Robinson wrote:
[...]

Dave Fugleberg

I worked them twice last night on FT8 - 20 and 40 meters. Both were logged automatically into DXKeeper. The first QSO was logged as DM42 and the second as CG75. I didn’t notice it until after the second QSO. Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue described here...just another data point.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:41 PM Mark Robinson <markrob@...> wrote:
It  is fixed....did you fix it Dave?

73 Mark N1UK

On 23-Oct-18 9:26 PM, Mark Robinson wrote:
> The grid square is shown as DM42mk .    Is it picking up the Tucson
> Arizona address.    DX Watch is showing the same distance
>
> 73 Mark N1UK
>
> On 23-Oct-18 8:56 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> If I look at DXWatch it tells me that Ducie Island is  at 272 degrees
>> and 1870 miles from my QTH in Raleigh NC.  This information comes
>> from the QRZ database.  If I look at DXView it gives me the same
>> information.
>>
>> If I actually measure it on DX Atlas, the bearing is 223. degrees and
>> Ducie is  5148 miles away approximately  give or take 50 miles or so.
>>
>> I presume that the QRZ database is incorrect.  Does DXView get it's
>> data from the QRZ database ?
>>
>> + No, DXView gets the location of Ducie Island (Grid CG75so) from
>> DXLa's DXCC database (unless you've defined an override that
>> specifies a different location), and gets your location from the QTH
>> panel on the General tab of DXView's Configuration window.
>>
>> + What grid square is shown in DXView's Main window when it's showing
>> you that the distance is 1870 miles.
>>
>>            73,
>>
>>                      Dave, AA6YQ

It is fixed....did you fix it Dave?

+ If you type VP6D into DXView's Main window and strike the Enter key, the grids square shown will be CG75so, which is correct; the source of this grid square is DXLab's DXCC database.

+ If you have DXKeeper configured to use QRZ as a callbook, but haven't checked the "Ignore geocoded grid squares" box (Configuration window, Callbook tab), then DXKeeper will log a QSO with VP6D as being in grid square DM42mk because it will accept the grid square that QRZ computes from the "Tucson AZ" address it maintains for VP6D. Computing a grid square from an address is referred to as "geocoding"; this technique is generally not accurate enough for pursuing grid squares for awards like VUCC, which is why DXKeeper provides the option to ignore geocoded grid squares. This scenario (wrong address) is another reason to check the "Ignore geocoded grid squares" box.

+ If you select a Log Page Display entry for a logged QSO, DXView will display the grid square logged with that QSO. So if you have a logged QSO with VP6D in DM42K, DXView will display that grid square and the distance to it from your QTH.

+ There is nothing for me to "fix".

[...]

---
https://www.avg.com

Mark Robinson

Thank you Dave,

I will check ignore geocoded grid squares tomorrow morning.

73 Mark N1UK

On 23-Oct-18 11:02 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

K7IU - Marv

There may be someone posing as the Dulcie group.  Check their online log to see which of your QSOs was actually logged by the DXpedition.

Mark Robinson

I checked the log and I already had  "Ignore geocoded grid squares" checked.

My first VP6D QSO's have no grid square (the field is blank) , the next bunch have DM42mk  and my last 30m FT8 qso has CG75 as the gridsquare.

I don't know how that happened.  My log was populated using the capture screen or automatically with FT8.

[...]

Pat

I learned some new.. tnx for the heads up on the  ignore grid check.  Cool!
I learn something at least once a week with DxLab.. tnx Dave!
Murf
n7uvh

Salvatore Besso

Ducie is CG75oh and not "so" final.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

I checked the log and I already had "Ignore geocoded grid squares" checked.

My first VP6D QSO's have no grid square (the field is blank) , the next bunch have DM42mk and my last 30m FT8 qso has CG75 as the gridsquare.

I don't know how that happened. My log was populated using the capture screen or automatically with FT8.

+ Does the logged grid square correlate with the means by which the QSO was captured?

Mark Robinson

Basically all my first QSO's from 20 Oct 11:39 GMT to 22 Oct 9:39 have Grid 1 blank.  These are cw and ssb

22 Oct 9:50 to 24 Oct 02:30 GMT show Grid 1 as DM42mk. These are FT8, ssb , cw and rtty

After and including 24 Oct  03:04 GMT all QSO's show Grid 1 as CG75. These are FT8, ssb, cw

I did e-mail QRZ about this on the 24 October

73 Mark N1UK

On 24-Oct-18 5:52 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I checked the log and I already had "Ignore geocoded grid squares" checked.

My first VP6D QSO's have no grid square (the field is blank) , the next bunch have DM42mk and my last 30m FT8 qso has CG75 as the gridsquare.

I don't know how that happened. My log was populated using the capture screen or automatically with FT8.

+ Does the logged grid square correlate with the means by which the QSO was captured?

Basically all my first QSO's from 20 Oct 11:39 GMT to 22 Oct 9:39 have Grid 1 blank. These are cw and ssb

22 Oct 9:50 to 24 Oct 02:30 GMT show Grid 1 as DM42mk. These are FT8, ssb , cw and rtty

+ If the first of these QSOs was logged via JT-Alert, and if you have JT-Alert configured to use QRZ as a callbook, then DXKeeper's "Ignore geocoded grid squares" setting would have been irrelevant, and the QSO would have been logged with a grid of DM42MK in Arizona. Subsequent QSOs logged via DXKeeper would harvest the DM42MK grid square from the logged FT8 QSO.

After and including 24 Oct 03:04 GMT all QSO's show Grid 1 as CG75.
These are FT8, ssb, cw

I did e-mail QRZ about this on the 24 October

+ QRZ.com still shows a US State of Arizona, but the beam heading shows that the location has been changed to CG75.

+ The bottom line is that if you rely on a callbook for location information but that callbook contains erroneous location information, your logged QSOs will contain erroneous location information. DXKeeper assumes that when you log a QSO, the logged information is accurate; it thus uses this information to populate subsequent QSOs with the same station.

Danny Douglas

You are going to find a lot of these errors, especially on DXpeditions, because when those guys get a callsign for the exped, they do it thru the home address, and that is what shows up on QRZ. I see it every month or so, and you need to keep your Overrides up to date showing expeditions locations, and calls. When I miss seeing one of these upcoming expeds, I sometimes just draw a blank when trying to figure out where a station is located on SpotCollector. If we wanna be a DXPedition hunter, we gotta prepare. Dont know how that works in WSJT, because I log with DXKeeper, and that takes care of that problem. The zones,grids, etc pop up correctly when you do the overrides.

N7DC@...
Ex WN5QMX,WA5UKR,ET2US,ET3USA,SV0WPP,VS6DD,N7DC/YV5/G5CTB
QSL Bureau, DIRECT, LOTW Preferred, eQSL used but upload at a courtesy only, as do not use the system for awards.

On October 25, 2018 at 8:11 PM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Thanks Danny,

This is all new stuff to me. Do I do the overrides in DXView ?

73 Mark N1UK

On 25-Oct-18 8:44 PM, Danny Douglas wrote:
[...]

+ Yes; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateEntityOverride>

+ Soon, the limit of 16 overrides will be eliminated.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/10/2018 11:11 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ If the first of these QSOs was logged via JT-Alert, and if you have JT-Alert configured to use QRZ as a callbook, then DXKeeper's "Ignore geocoded grid squares" setting would have been irrelevant, and the QSO would have been logged with a grid of DM42MK in Arizona. Subsequent QSOs logged via DXKeeper would harvest the DM42MK grid square from the logged FT8 QSO.
FYI,

JTAlert has its own xml grid override mechanism. If the on-air 4 character grid received from WSJT-X doesn't match the the first 4 characters of an XML returned grid, the xml result is ignored and the on-air grid is logged. If the first 4 characters match then the XML returned grid is used as it is deemed to be more accurate.

With VP6D using CG75 on-air and QRZ XML returning DM42mk, then JTAlert will log CG75, the DM42 is ignored.

However, if a user is manually entering VP6D in WSJT-X without a grid reference then the Logged QSO packet from WSJT-X will not contain a grid and the results from the XML lookup is used, which would be the DM42 grid. The user has to take some responsibility with what is logged if they are manually entering the data in WSJT-X and not using what is being received in the live decodes.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Mark Robinson

Thank you for the information Laurie,

I am using JTAlert and automatic logging to DXKeeper but my first few FT8 contacts with VP6D show the grid as DM42mk.  Is there a setting that I have wrong?

73 Mark N1UK

On 25-Oct-18 10:20 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

+ If the first of these QSOs was logged via JT-Alert, and if you have JT-Alert configured to use QRZ as a callbook, then
DXKeeper's "Ignore geocoded grid squares" setting would have been irrelevant, and the QSO would have been logged with a grid of
DM42MK in Arizona. Subsequent QSOs logged via DXKeeper would harvest the DM42MK grid square from the logged FT8 QSO.

FYI,

JTAlert has its own xml grid override mechanism. If the on-air 4 character grid received from WSJT-X doesn't match the the first 4
characters of an XML returned grid, the xml result is ignored and the on-air grid is logged. If the first 4 characters match then
the XML returned grid is used as it is deemed to be more accurate.

With VP6D using CG75 on-air and QRZ XML returning DM42mk, then JTAlert will log CG75, the DM42 is ignored.

+ Duh. I forgot that FT8 conveys the grid square over-the-air. Thanks, Laurie!