Commander and IC-7610 ports changing

dvpoplewski

I and Ross Slater have finally figured out why my operational port on commander would change every time I would cycle the radio and power supply off and back on. I find that when I shut down the IC-7610, I must also shut down DX commander. I can't leave it running on my PC because it no longer knows which port is active when the IC-7610 is turned back on.
So I have to shut down everything. By doing this, if I have instructed commander in configure that port 4 is the active port, when I turn on the 7610 and then bring up the DX command program, everything works. With my older Kenwood TS-950sdx, I could shut it down and leave the DX suite running all the time on my PC. Turn the TS-950 back on and it and commander are happy to talk to each other. This not the case with the IC-7610 and commander. I don't know who is at fault, Icom or DX Suite. I do have a work around but not ideal.

David KC8IV

I and Ross Slater have finally figured out why my operational port on commander would change every time I would cycle the radio and power supply off and back on.

+ Your report below does not explain why the virtual COM port created by your IC-7610's device driver changes each time you cycle the radio's power. It explains how to avoid this behavior.

I find that when I shut down the IC-7610, I must also shut down DX commander. I can't leave it running on my PC because it no longer knows which port is active when the IC-7610 is turned back on.
So I have to shut down everything. By doing this, if I have instructed commander in configure that port 4 is the active port, when I turn on the 7610 and then bring up the DX command program, everything works. With my older Kenwood TS-950sdx, I could shut it down and leave the DX suite running all the time on my PC. Turn the TS-950 back on and it and commander are happy to talk to each other. This not the case with the IC-7610 and commander. I don't know who is at fault, Icom or DX Suite. I do have a work around but not ideal.

+ Commander has no role in determining what COM port is assigned to your IC-7610; that's entirely controlled by Windows and Icom's device driver. Have you engaged with Icom Support or Microsoft support?

+ If you turn off your IC-7610 but leave the power supply running and then turn on your IC-7610, in there a change in the behavior from what you report above?

summersfabian@...

Similar (?) with FT-991A. The virtual com ports have to be reinstalled.

Buddy (360) 440-0190
K7DBH

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 6:13 PM dvpoplewski <dpopski@...> wrote:
[...]

+ Under what circumstances do the virtual com ports have to be reinstalled?

[...]

Dave AA6YQ

When connected to my PC (running Windows 7) via USB, my IC-7300 creates COM6; this appears in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section as "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge".

If I turn off the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, the entry for COM6 remains present in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I turn on the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, Commander immediately tracks and controls the IC-7300.

If I turn off the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, and then turn off the DC power supply connected to the IC-7300, the entry for COM6 is removed from the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I turn on the DC power supply connected to the IC-7300, the entry for COM6 re-appears in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I then turn on the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, Commander cannot control or track the radio; however, if I click the Reset button in the Radio tab on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, Commander regains the ability to control and track the radio.

Mark Robinson

Windows can do some strange things.  I am running win 7 64 bit pro. About a month ago I was on 20m ssb when the mains power glitched.
The Icom 7610 went off for a second but the pc is on a ups and was unaffected.  I carried on with my QSO but then noticed a message from the pc saying it was loading drivers. I cancelled the driver load but in a minute or so I got another message saying that the drivers were loaded.  I noticed that Commander was no longer talking to the radio. I rebooted the radio but still no connection.

I ran Device manager on the pc and instead of COM7 and COM8 to talk to the radio I had some generic COM9 and COM10 showing.  I rebooted the pc and radio and all went back to normal with COM7 and COM8 and correct Commander operation.  I now run the radio on it's own UPS to avoid this happening again.

I also try to stick to a strict,  power on and power off routine. I am running Win4Icom software now and using Virtual ports for Commander and other radio control software.

I adhere to   PC On > Icom ON > Win4icom ON > Commander ON

and

Commander OFF > Win4Icom OFF  and Icom OFF.

I can leave the PC running and then put the Icom back on later without any issues.

I would advise people to run their 7610 from a UPS if possible.

73 Mark N1UK

On 26-Aug-18 9:44 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Hi Dave
If I leave the power supply on all the time and turn the IC-7610 back on, everything works fine. If I tell commander to use port 4 and turn off the power supply thus killing the radio. When I turn it all back on, commander does not respond to port 4. I now have to select port 5. I have not reached out to Icom, but I'll give them a try. I don't understand enough about how com ports work, I just know what I expect them to do.

David KC8IV

If I leave the power supply on all the time and turn the IC-7610 back on, everything works fine. If I tell commander to use port 4 and turn off the power supply thus killing the radio. When I turn it all back on, commander does not respond to port 4. I now have to select port 5. I have not reached out to Icom, but I'll give them a try. I don't understand enough about how com ports work, I just know what I expect them to do.

+ You have a succinct description of the problematic behavior, which should help in your interaction with Icom. You might also mention that with an IC-7300 connected via USB to a Windows 7 system, turning off the power supply and then turning it back on does not result in the 7300's virtual COM port number changing.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Many people seem to have many problems with Com orts. I wish I knew the answer.  OTOH I have been very lucky. I ahve never had a Com Port change on me once set no ,matter what I have done. Radio off, radio on USB cable removed, etc. I guess I have been lucky.

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Chris - N0CC

I’m another who hasn’t had any COM port problems.  I wonder if the computer’s BIOS or OS version might be relevant.  I’m running Windows 10 build 1803.  The Icom virtual port drivers installed with no issues and the ports (COM4 and COM5) have remained stable from a complete cold start of all of the equipment on up.  I’ve had a number of issues during my climb up this learning curve but the COM ports have not been involved.

Chris, NØCC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 2018-08-28 5:21 PM, dvpoplewski wrote:
[...]

My TS590SG and my Winkeyer come up with the same number every time I use them. It does not seem to matter if I turn it of while running or not and comes up with the same number using both N1MM an FT8 and DXLABS. Either I am lucky or it is not a serial number thing or all my hardware does have the programmed serial number. When I had a TS870 using USB to Serial converters they also never changed port numbers.

On 2018-08-28 5:21 PM, dvpoplewski wrote:
[...]

Björn SM7IUN

I would suggest you to not follow the ICOM guys advice and instead
manually set the COM port of your radio in the advanced settings.
Windows will tell you which ports are in use and not.

Björn SM7IUN