Commander and IC-7610 ports changing

dvpoplewski

I and Ross Slater have finally figured out why my operational port on commander would change every time I would cycle the radio and power supply off and back on. I find that when I shut down the IC-7610, I must also shut down DX commander. I can't leave it running on my PC because it no longer knows which port is active when the IC-7610 is turned back on.
So I have to shut down everything. By doing this, if I have instructed commander in configure that port 4 is the active port, when I turn on the 7610 and then bring up the DX command program, everything works. With my older Kenwood TS-950sdx, I could shut it down and leave the DX suite running all the time on my PC. Turn the TS-950 back on and it and commander are happy to talk to each other. This not the case with the IC-7610 and commander. I don't know who is at fault, Icom or DX Suite. I do have a work around but not ideal.

David KC8IV

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I and Ross Slater have finally figured out why my operational port on commander would change every time I would cycle the radio and power supply off and back on.

+ Your report below does not explain why the virtual COM port created by your IC-7610's device driver changes each time you cycle the radio's power. It explains how to avoid this behavior.

I find that when I shut down the IC-7610, I must also shut down DX commander. I can't leave it running on my PC because it no longer knows which port is active when the IC-7610 is turned back on.
So I have to shut down everything. By doing this, if I have instructed commander in configure that port 4 is the active port, when I turn on the 7610 and then bring up the DX command program, everything works. With my older Kenwood TS-950sdx, I could shut it down and leave the DX suite running all the time on my PC. Turn the TS-950 back on and it and commander are happy to talk to each other. This not the case with the IC-7610 and commander. I don't know who is at fault, Icom or DX Suite. I do have a work around but not ideal.

+ Commander has no role in determining what COM port is assigned to your IC-7610; that's entirely controlled by Windows and Icom's device driver. Have you engaged with Icom Support or Microsoft support?

+ If you turn off your IC-7610 but leave the power supply running and then turn on your IC-7610, in there a change in the behavior from what you report above?

Dave, AA6YQ

summersfabian@...

Similar (?) with FT-991A. The virtual com ports have to be reinstalled.

Buddy (360) 440-0190
K7DBH

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 6:13 PM dvpoplewski <dpopski@...> wrote:
I and Ross Slater have finally figured out why my operational port on commander would change every time I would cycle the radio and power supply off and back on. I find that when I shut down the IC-7610, I must also shut down DX commander. I can't leave it running on my PC because it no longer knows which port is active when the IC-7610 is turned back on.

David KC8IV

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Similar (?) with FT-991A. The virtual com ports have to be reinstalled.

+ Under what circumstances do the virtual com ports have to be reinstalled?

Dave, AA6YQ

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 6:13 PM dvpoplewski <dpopski@...> wrote:

David KC8IV

Dave AA6YQ

When connected to my PC (running Windows 7) via USB, my IC-7300 creates COM6; this appears in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section as "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge".

If I turn off the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, the entry for COM6 remains present in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I turn on the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, Commander immediately tracks and controls the IC-7300.

If I turn off the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, and then turn off the DC power supply connected to the IC-7300, the entry for COM6 is removed from the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I turn on the DC power supply connected to the IC-7300, the entry for COM6 re-appears in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I then turn on the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, Commander cannot control or track the radio; however, if I click the Reset button in the Radio tab on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, Commander regains the ability to control and track the radio.

Dave, AA6YQ

Mark Robinson

Windows can do some strange things.  I am running win 7 64 bit pro. About a month ago I was on 20m ssb when the mains power glitched.
The Icom 7610 went off for a second but the pc is on a ups and was unaffected.  I carried on with my QSO but then noticed a message from the pc saying it was loading drivers. I cancelled the driver load but in a minute or so I got another message saying that the drivers were loaded.  I noticed that Commander was no longer talking to the radio. I rebooted the radio but still no connection. 

I ran Device manager on the pc and instead of COM7 and COM8 to talk to the radio I had some generic COM9 and COM10 showing.  I rebooted the pc and radio and all went back to normal with COM7 and COM8 and correct Commander operation.  I now run the radio on it's own UPS to avoid this happening again.

I also try to stick to a strict,  power on and power off routine. I am running Win4Icom software now and using Virtual ports for Commander and other radio control software. 

I adhere to   PC On > Icom ON > Win4icom ON > Commander ON

and

Commander OFF > Win4Icom OFF  and Icom OFF.

I can leave the PC running and then put the Icom back on later without any issues.

I would advise people to run their 7610 from a UPS if possible.

73 Mark N1UK

On 26-Aug-18 9:44 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I and Ross Slater have finally figured out why my operational port on commander would change every time I would cycle the radio and power supply off and back on. 

+ Your report below does not explain why the virtual COM port created by your IC-7610's device driver changes each time you cycle the radio's power. It explains how to avoid this behavior.

I find that when I shut down the IC-7610, I must also shut down DX commander. I can't leave it running on my PC because it no longer knows which port is active when the IC-7610 is turned back on.

+ Commander has no role in determining what COM port is assigned to your IC-7610; that's entirely controlled by Windows and Icom's device driver. Have you engaged with Icom Support or Microsoft support?

+ If you turn off your IC-7610 but leave the power supply running and then turn on your IC-7610, in there a change in the behavior from what you report above?

Dave, AA6YQ

dvpoplewski

Hi Dave
If I leave the power supply on all the time and turn the IC-7610 back on, everything works fine. If I tell commander to use port 4 and turn off the power supply thus killing the radio. When I turn it all back on, commander does not respond to port 4. I now have to select port 5. I have not reached out to Icom, but I'll give them a try. I don't understand enough about how com ports work, I just know what I expect them to do.

David KC8IV

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

If I leave the power supply on all the time and turn the IC-7610 back on, everything works fine. If I tell commander to use port 4 and turn off the power supply thus killing the radio. When I turn it all back on, commander does not respond to port 4. I now have to select port 5. I have not reached out to Icom, but I'll give them a try. I don't understand enough about how com ports work, I just know what I expect them to do.

+ You have a succinct description of the problematic behavior, which should help in your interaction with Icom. You might also mention that with an IC-7300 connected via USB to a Windows 7 system, turning off the power supply and then turning it back on does not result in the 7300's virtual COM port number changing.

Dave, AA6YQ

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Many people seem to have many problems with Com orts. I wish I knew the answer.  OTOH I have been very lucky. I ahve never had a Com Port change on me once set no ,matter what I have done. Radio off, radio on USB cable removed, etc. I guess I have been lucky.

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of dvpoplewski
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 10:45
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Commander and IC-7610 ports changing

Hi Dave

David KC8IV

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Chris - N0CC

I’m another who hasn’t had any COM port problems.  I wonder if the computer’s BIOS or OS version might be relevant.  I’m running Windows 10 build 1803.  The Icom virtual port drivers installed with no issues and the ports (COM4 and COM5) have remained stable from a complete cold start of all of the equipment on up.  I’ve had a number of issues during my climb up this learning curve but the COM ports have not been involved.

Chris, NØCC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> on behalf of Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 12:48:27 PM

Many people seem to have many problems with Com orts. I wish I knew the answer.  OTOH I have been very lucky. I ahve never had a Com Port change on me once set no ,matter what I have done. Radio off, radio on USB cable removed, etc. I guess I have been lucky.

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of dvpoplewski
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 10:45

Hi Dave

David KC8IV

--

HP Laptop

dvpoplewski

Here is the question and answer I got back from Icom.

Question
Loaded Silicon Labs drivers into windows 7 computer. Turning on IC-7610 shows comm ports 4 and 5. I assign com port 4 to my DX Suites commander logging and radio control program and the radio and software communicate fine. 
If I turn off the radio and power supply the com ports disappear from device manager. 
Turning the radio and power supply back on, the com ports change to different numbers and DX commander no longer works. If I leave the power supply on all the time, then the com ports remain, but it is not practical to leave the power supply running all the time. 
If I leave the software program running and turn back on the power supply and radio, the DX Command program no longer responds to port 4. I have to toggle command to port 5 and then back to port 4, then all works again. 
What is the solution to this comm port issue?

Answer:
Greetings David, 

Thank you for contacting Icom America. 

Unfortunately this is a quirk of Windows. Windows assigns resources on a "as needed" basis. What I can suggest is with the radio connected and powered up then shutdown down Windows and then restart. In some cases doing this will allow the Operating System to use the same resources each time the radio is connected/disconnected. Though adding/removing other USB devices could force another remapping of resources. Unfortunately this is all within Windows and beyond the users control. You could go into device manager and force the CP210x device(s) to use a specific COM Port (in the Advanced tab for the device) but this is for advanced users of Windows so I would not suggest you doing that unless you have extensive knowledge of Windows since you have to insure that no other devices are using the COM Port you want to use. 

Click here for information regarding Warranty Registration, Service/Repair Authorization form, Knowledge Base & Technical Support: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/default.aspx 

Note: Mention of third party products or services is provided for customer convenience and does not imply an endorsement or quality assurance by ICOM America. 

Sincerely, 
Greg Popovich / KF2M 
Technical Support Representative 
Icom America Inc. 
East Coast Office 
14000 Commerce Parkway Suite H 
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

David KC8IV

George KF7NN

thats normal operation, the system was talking to the com port and you killed it by turning off the power ,so the system is stuck and dont know where the port went. when you re attached the port it is not the instance that the PC was originally talking to but another and you need to reset the driver to go fetch the correct instance of the port. I assume the port gets its own free block of memory address each time it is attached.

I am no expert but thats my opinion.

On 8/26/2018 10:10 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
When connected to my PC (running Windows 7) via USB, my IC-7300 creates COM6; this appears in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section as "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge".

If I turn off the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, the entry for COM6 remains present in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I turn on the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, Commander immediately tracks and controls the IC-7300.

If I turn off the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, and then turn off the DC power supply connected to the IC-7300, the entry for COM6 is removed from the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I turn on the DC power supply connected to the IC-7300, the entry for COM6 re-appears in the Windows Device Manager's Ports section. If I then turn on the IC-7300 via its front panel Power button, Commander cannot control or track the radio; however, if I click the Reset button in the Radio tab on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, Commander regains the ability to control and track the radio.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

Thanks, David!

Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of dvpoplewski
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:22 PM

Question
Loaded Silicon Labs drivers into windows 7 computer. Turning on IC-7610 shows comm ports 4 and 5. I assign com port 4 to my DX Suites commander logging and radio control program and the radio and software communicate fine.
If I turn off the radio and power supply the com ports disappear from device manager.
Turning the radio and power supply back on, the com ports change to different numbers and DX commander no longer works. If I leave the power supply on all the time, then the com ports remain, but it is not practical to leave the power supply running all the time.
If I leave the software program running and turn back on the power supply and radio, the DX Command program no longer responds to port 4. I have to toggle command to port 5 and then back to port 4, then all works again.

Answer:

Greetings David,

Unfortunately this is a quirk of Windows. Windows assigns resources on a "as needed" basis. What I can suggest is with the radio connected and powered up then shutdown down Windows and then restart. In some cases doing this will allow the Operating System to use the same resources each time the radio is connected/disconnected. Though adding/removing other USB devices could force another remapping of resources. Unfortunately this is all within Windows and beyond the users control. You could go into device manager and force the CP210x device(s) to use a specific COM Port (in the Advanced tab for the device) but this is for advanced users of Windows so I would not suggest you doing that unless you have extensive knowledge of Windows since you have to insure that no other devices are using the COM Port you want to use.

Click here for information regarding Warranty Registration, Service/Repair Authorization form, Knowledge Base & Technical Support: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/default.aspx

Note: Mention of third party products or services is provided for customer convenience and does not imply an endorsement or quality assurance by ICOM America.

Sincerely,
Greg Popovich / KF2M
Icom America Inc.
East Coast Office
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

David KC8IV

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Joe Subich, W4TV

This is simply because Icom (and other manufacturers) are *LAZY*.
If they would use serial port hardware that had a unique serial
number in the port chip EPROM, Windows would load the hardware at
the same port number every time.

Simply put, the amateur manufacturers do not want to take the extra
step to program a serial number into the port hardware after the
rig is complete.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-08-28 5:21 PM, dvpoplewski wrote:
Question
Answer:
Greetings David,
Click here for information regarding Warranty Registration, Service/Repair Authorization form, Knowledge Base & Technical Support: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/default.aspx
Sincerely,
Greg Popovich / KF2M
Icom America Inc.
East Coast Office
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
David KC8IV

Gilbert Baron W0MN

My TS590SG and my Winkeyer come up with the same number every time I use them. It does not seem to matter if I turn it of while running or not and comes up with the same number using both N1MM an FT8 and DXLABS. Either I am lucky or it is not a serial number thing or all my hardware does have the programmed serial number. When I had a TS870 using USB to Serial converters they also never changed port numbers.

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 17:06

This is simply because Icom (and other manufacturers) are *LAZY*.
If they would use serial port hardware that had a unique serial number in the port chip EPROM, Windows would load the hardware at the same port number every time.

Simply put, the amateur manufacturers do not want to take the extra step to program a serial number into the port hardware after the rig is complete.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-08-28 5:21 PM, dvpoplewski wrote:

Question

Answer:
Greetings David,

Click here for information regarding Warranty Registration,
Service/Repair Authorization form, Knowledge Base & Technical Support:
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/default.aspx

Sincerely,
Greg Popovich / KF2M
Icom America Inc.
East Coast Office
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

David KC8IV

--

HP Laptop

Björn SM7IUN

I would suggest you to not follow the ICOM guys advice and instead 
manually set the COM port of your radio in the advanced settings. 
Windows will tell you which ports are in use and not.

Björn SM7IUN 

28 aug. 2018 kl. 23:21 skrev dvpoplewski <dpopski@...>:

Question

Answer:
Greetings David, 

Sincerely, 
Greg Popovich / KF2M 
Icom America Inc. 
East Coast Office 
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

David KC8IV