<stop> macro ??

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a successful fix for this. It has been around since the beginning with the K3, over 10 years ago now. Elecraft did make firmware changes several years ago to address the situation, but perhaps their efforts may have been only partially successful. It looks as if there may be some kind of race condition in the radio's firmware that causes it to get confused about the TX/RX status of the radio if a PTT command via the rear panel PTT jack arrives while a CAT command to switch PTT is already being processed, and/or vice versa.

There is a simple workaround that applies regardless of which radio control software you are using: don't use two methods of PTT control in parallel. If you are using PTT via CAT command, don't connect anything to the transceiver's PTT input. Conversely, if you are using a hardware PTT signal, e.g. from a SignaLink, don't enable PTT via CAT command in your software.

Incidentally, instead of disabling PTT via CAT in Commander, could you not also achieve the same result by configuring WinWarbler's Configuration window, PTT tab, PTT Mode pane to select None instead of Xcvr Ctrl App? This may be a distinction without a difference...

+ The approach you suggest as the benefit of preventing requests from WinWarbler that Commander will ignore. However, the approach you suggest prevents only WinWarbler from directing Commander to issue RX/TX CAT commands. One could implement both approaches and have the best of both worlds...

neil_zampella

FWIW ... I'd just use the signalink as a sound card, and use the KXUSB cable to provide CAT control if possible.   I have no problems when just using a simple external USB sound card, the audio cables that came in the KX3-PCKT, and the KXUSB cable.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/27/2018 5:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave - thanks. That does solve the problem with WinWabler. And not to belabor the point, But I guess what I don't understand with regard to the Elecraft transceivers getting confused. Is why does the KX3 work fine using WSJT_X program and FLDIGI in terms of going to Tx and Rx, and the <start> cmd in WinWabler works fine. So why is only one macro cmd in WW that the PTT isn't working and we have to make the change to suppress the CAT.

+ The difference in behavior among applications is likely the result of differences in timing between CAT instructions being issued and your Signalink's VOX responding to soundcard output. This is unquestionably a defect in the KX3, one that I suspect several Elecraft owners reported years ago when it was first encountered in the K3. The workaround is easy enough; in my opinion, however, holes should be filled the instant they are discovered, lest more users fall into them.

+ As a KX3 and K3 owner, perhaps you can persuade Elecraft to correct this defect.

-----
No virus found in this message.

w2eck

Dave & Rich- thanks for the explanation and the review of what has transpired in the past. I wasn’t aware of the history on this issue.

73
Paul

ve3ki

[...]

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 05:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
[...]

Tnx & 73
Paul
w2eck

Recently had to send my K3 in for repair- so have had to put my kx3 into service as main shack radio for 2-3 weeks.
Using it with a SignalinkUSB and all is working fine with WSJTX and FT8. But trying to get it running for PSK31 with Winwabler and am having a small an issue.
The <start> macro is working fine, but the <stop> macro does not, I have to turn Tx off at the radio.
I am using CAT control, which as I said seems to be working fine in all other respects When using FLDIGIi for PSK31, its Tx and Rx commands in the macros does successfully turns kx3 on and off.

Any ideas on why the Winwabler <stop> command may not be working ?

+ With respect to switching between RX and TX, the K3 and KX3 employ the same CAT commands. Elecraft transceivers do have a peculiarity: they can get confused if simultaneously directed to switch between RX and TX via CAT command and via an external input. Make sure your Signalink USB is not generating a PTT signal. Or if you want the Signalink to perform RX/TX switching, check the "suppress CAT" box in the PTT panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window.