FT8 question

Monte Stark <ku7y.cw@...>

I'm just starting with FT8 and have made 2 QSOs using the WSJT-X program.
How do I input these into DX Keeper?

I looked at the .adi file it made but not only are the QSOs in there but
also everything else that has been shown in the message window. Is there
some setting in WSJT-X that I need to change to only save QSOs to the log or
will DX Keeper "know" to ignore all the other data in that large file?

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
Mountain Home, ID DN23dc
CalQRP #007
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
ku7y@...
ku7y.cw@...

neil_zampella

You need JT-Alert which does a few things, but is a very effective bridge between WSJT-X & DXKeeper.

Download from Hamapps.com

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/13/2018 2:10 PM, Monte Stark wrote:
I'm just starting with FT8 and have made 2 QSOs using the WSJT-X program.
How do I input these into DX Keeper?

I looked at the .adi file it made but not only are the QSOs in there but
also everything else that has been shown in the message window. Is there
some setting in WSJT-X that I need to change to only save QSOs to the log or
will DX Keeper "know" to ignore all the other data in that large file?

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
Mountain Home, ID DN23dc
CalQRP #007
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
ku7y@...
ku7y.cw@...

-----
No virus found in this message.

wc3w <mvwohlschlegel@...>

Ron download JT Alert. Open it go to settings then log. The rest should be obvious
Mark
WC3W

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Monte Stark wrote:
I'm just starting with FT8 and have made 2 QSOs using the WSJT-X program.
How do I input these into DX Keeper?
+ Step-by-step instructions are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes>

I looked at the .adi file it made but not only are the QSOs in there but
also everything else that has been shown in the message window. Is there
some setting in WSJT-X that I need to change to only save QSOs to the log or
will DX Keeper "know" to ignore all the other data in that large file?

When you direct WSJT-X to log a QSO, it forwards that QSO to JT-Alert, which directs DXKeeper to log it.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Monte Stark <ku7y.cw@...> wrote:
I'm just starting with FT8 and have made 2 QSOs using the WSJT-X program.
How do I input these into DX Keeper?

I looked at the .adi file it made but not only are the QSOs in there but
also everything else that has been shown in the message window. Is there
some setting in WSJT-X that I need to change to only save QSOs to the log or
will DX Keeper "know" to ignore all the other data in that large file?
Are you sure? wsjtx_log.adi and wsjtx.log (CSV format) should contain
only logged QSOs. The "ALL.TXT" file contains all decoded and
transmitted messages. You should be able to import wsjtx_log.adi into
DXKeeper.

For future QSOs; as others have suggested, it's worth investing in
setting up JTAlertX, which will handle logging to DXKeeper
automatically.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Monte Stark <ku7y.cw@...>

Thank you to Dave, Iain, Neil and Mark.

With your help I now have FT8 working, using WSJT-X, JT Alert and DX Keeper.

I was also able to find the ADIF log file and import that into DX Keeper and
then upload to LOTW with no trouble.

Once again, Thank you all very much for all the help.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
Mountain Home, ID DN23dc
CalQRP #007
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
ku7y@...
ku7y.cw@...

wc3w <mvwohlschlegel@...>

A beautiful thing bro!

On Aug 13, 2018, at 3:50 PM, Monte Stark <ku7y.cw@...> wrote:

Thank you to Dave, Iain, Neil and Mark.

With your help I now have FT8 working, using WSJT-X, JT Alert and DX Keeper.

I was also able to find the ADIF log file and import that into DX Keeper and
then upload to LOTW with no trouble.

Once again, Thank you all very much for all the help.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
Mountain Home, ID DN23dc
CalQRP #007
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
ku7y@...
ku7y.cw@...

Mark W2OR <reston2010mm-orders@...>

Hello, Ron, and others.  Glad that all worked out for you, Ron.  You will enjoy what JTA has to offer.  That app also has its own reflector on Groups.io - - named HamApps - - that is worth checking out.  The group moderator, Lauren, does an excellent job helping out and developing what is still a 'new' application for all.  It will receive a major upgrade in about six months, when WSJT-x does likewise, and smaller changes in the interim.

Logs:  JTAlert does not 'miss' logging QSOs that are completed 'normally' and which end with a '73' message.  However, us humans do, when we unwittingly forget or overlook a setting, or procedure, when finishing up our FT8 QSOs.  Be watchful.  If you're a DX'er, and you work a 'new one', it doesn't hurt to later check DXKeeper to ensure the QSO is there.  When I started using JTAlert, I recall a few hick-ups in that regard, one which I found only recently, caused because of a non-automatic logging of a particular QSO that was truncated at its conclusion, at my doing.  See below.

As you know, WSJT-x as it is configured with JTAlert will automatically log your QSO when the '73' message is sent and received and recognized by the program.   This month's issue of QST, in The World Above 50 Megahertz column, reminds us that a "73" message with FT8 QSOs is not an absolute required element for a QSO, for the contact to be recognized for awards or otherwise - - or some similar wording.  So, when your FT8 QSO is near its end, and you loose contact with the other station without any evidence of a '73' being sent or received, take care to ensure you get that contact logged, using the manual procedure, if you so desire.

There's more to all this, but I've already wrote too much for this particular thread.  Enjoy the program !! and the QSOs  !!    /Mark  W2OR

John Bastin K8AJS

On 13Aug 2018, at 15:06, iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:

Are you sure? wsjtx_log.adi and wsjtx.log (CSV format) should contain
only logged QSOs. The "ALL.TXT" file contains all decoded and
transmitted messages. You should be able to import wsjtx_log.adi into
DXKeeper.
AND for best results, you should *never* delete the ALL.TXT file, the information in it is priceless. I have used it as a resource when I get a QSL for an FT8 QSO that isn’t in my log. I can go back to ALL.TXT and see exactly what happened at that date and time, and determine whether in fact there was an exchange that should have been logged. I wouldn’t want to be without that information.

Hope this helps.

73,

John K8AJS
jbastin1@...

Email Service <jfriend31@...>

I agree Mark! If signal reports are exchanged I log the FT8 QSO!

Many disagree but many contests count a QSO without signal reporting. Some only want name/location, etc.

Jack AK7O

Sent from XFINITY Connect App