Topics

SpotCollector recomputes

John Bastin

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 12:03 pm, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ Don't direct DXKeeper to initiate a Recompute or "Sync LoTW QSLs" operation while operating FT8.
This brings up another issue that I’ve been having, which is puzzling and can be annoying.

I operate WSJT-X standalone when I’m operating in FT8. WSJT-X creates an ADIF log of my contacts which I later import into DXKeeper at a convenient time.

When I do this, SpotCollector immediately initiates a “Recompute” which prevents me from doing much in DXLab until it’s finished.

I also operate contests outside of DXLab using N1MM+ and later import those ADIF logs into DXKeeper. This does *not* prompt a recompute in SpotCollector.

What’s the explanation for this? I know I could uncheck “Enable automatic updates” in SpotCollector, but I really don’t want to do that if there is another solution. AND I’m unlikely to remember to uncheck that box before an FT8 ADIF import and then re-check it when I’m done.

Any suggestions?

TIA, 73

John K8AJS
jbastin1@...

I operate WSJT-X standalone when I m operating in FT8. WSJT-X creates an ADIF log of my contacts which I later import into DXKeeper at a convenient time.

When I do this, SpotCollector immediately initiates a Recompute which prevents me from doing much in DXLab until it s finished.

I also operate contests outside of DXLab using N1MM+ and later import those ADIF logs into DXKeeper. This does *not* prompt a recompute in SpotCollector.

What s the explanation for this? I know I could uncheck Enable automatic updates in SpotCollector, but I really don t want to do that if there is another solution. AND I m unlikely to remember to uncheck that box before an FT8 ADIF import and then re-check it when I m done.

Any suggestions?

+ So I can see what's going on, please do the following the next time you're about to import an ADIF file created by WSJT-X:

1. start SpotCollector, if it's not already running

2. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, check the "log debugging info" box

3. import the ADIF file

5. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, uncheck the "log debugging info" box

6. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send it to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

John Bastin

On 30May 2018, at 15:10, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ So I can see what's going on, please do the following the next time you're about to import an ADIF file created by WSJT-X:
OK, it might be a day or two, but I’ll do that.

Thanks for the help.

73,

John K8AJS
jbastin1@...

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

[...snip...]

I regularly export new QSOs from my remote station log and import them
to my "master" log on my home workstation. SpotCollector always
recomputes afterwards. I understood that that was intentional - it
needs to update existing spot database entries' "neededness" based on
the new QSOs in the log ... ?

73,

~iain / N6ML

Al Groff

The recompute can take a long time if the spots data base has not been trimmed or purged regularly.

( Mine had grown to 250mb).

AL, K0VM

On 5/31/2018 2:33 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
[...]

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

* You are correct, Iain. After importing an ADIF file, DXKeeper directs SpotCollector to perform a Recompute operation because every Spot Database Entry could conceivable require an update as a result of the newly-logged QSOs.

* Jon K8AJS, the question now is why importing an ADIF file generated by N1MM does not result in DXKeeper directing SpotCollector to recompute.

* Note that when DXKeeper log's, modifies, or deletes a single QSO, it directs SpotCollector to perform a more targeted recomputation, depending upon the awards you are pursuing. For example, if you are only pursuing DXCC awards, then only Spot Database Entries with the added/modified/deleted QSO's DXCC entity would be recomputed.

John Bastin

On 31May 2018, at 20:16, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

* Jon K8AJS, the question now is why importing an ADIF file generated by N1MM does not result in DXKeeper directing SpotCollector to recompute.
OK, with that in mind, now I’ll pay close attention to the next import from N1MM after a contest.

Thanks for the info.

73,

John K8AJS
jbastin1@...