Topics

FSK

John WA3KCP

Dave, I appreciate that speedy reply! And thank you for the explanation, and for the clarification that another "layer" is needed. 
This is an amazing forum for an amazing software suite.  Thank you!
--John WA3KCP

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Greetings!  I'm stuck right where KR9U landed, have reviewed many useful videos, docs & posts, but I'm still stuck!  Tone, not FSK, being transmitted using WW/RTTY-FSK.

Working OK: Commander rig control, WW/CW TX/RX and WW/RTTY-FSK RX
Not OK: WW/RTTY-FSK TX displays msg ok in WW/RX window, EXTFSK64 displays ok PTT on/off & encoded FSK in between, but rig only generates solid tone.

Equipment: Windows 10 with recently downloaded (from Icom) Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge driver 6/20/19
IC-7300, single USB cable (with no "port splitter"); DATA  MOD/ DATA OFF MOD both set to USB

I've been a bit confused by DXLab's multiple locations to specify port settings (MMTTY, EXTFSK64, WW/PTT) and with "XCVR Control App" checked, have to wonder - besides the Port config setting in Commander - which of these of these are even relevant?  It is my understanding that all data - including radio control and fsk - will use this single USB cable between the PC & IC-7300, and that RTS/DTR do not need to be explicitly set.  (But as a husband and a dad, I'm familiar with "being wrong!")
+ The IC-7300 driver creates a single virtual serial port for transceiver control whose RTS or DTR signal can be configured to convey the FSK signal via the radio's USB Keying (RTTY) menu; if this port is being used for transceiver control, however, its RTS or DTR signal cannot be used as the FSK connection.

+ (Note 2.d in <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FSKConnection>)

+ Thus if you want both transceiver control and transmission via RTTY FSK with an IC-7300, you'll need an external interface to generate the FSK signal from the RTS or DTR signal of a serial port not being used for transceiver control. Device drivers for Icom transceivers like the IC-7610 and IC-7851 create two virtual serial ports, enabling one to be used for transceiver control and the other to convey the FSK signal without the need for an external interface.

+ When transmitting via RTTY FSK using the MMTTY engine, EXTFSK64 specifies the serial port and signal used to convey the FSK signal. See step 7 in the "Configuring WinWarbler for FSK operation.

Dave, AA6YQ

John WA3KCP

Greetings!  I'm stuck right where KR9U landed, have reviewed many useful videos, docs & posts, but I'm still stuck!  Tone, not FSK, being transmitted using WW/RTTY-FSK.

Working OK: Commander rig control, WW/CW TX/RX and WW/RTTY-FSK RX
Not OK: WW/RTTY-FSK TX displays msg ok in WW/RX window, EXTFSK64 displays ok PTT on/off & encoded FSK in between, but rig only generates solid tone.

Equipment: Windows 10 with recently downloaded (from Icom) Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge driver 6/20/19
IC-7300, single USB cable (with no "port splitter"); DATA  MOD/ DATA OFF MOD both set to USB

I've been a bit confused by DXLab's multiple locations to specify port settings (MMTTY, EXTFSK64, WW/PTT) and with "XCVR Control App" checked, have to wonder - besides the Port config setting in Commander - which of these of these are even relevant?  It is my understanding that all data - including radio control and fsk - will use this single USB cable between the PC & IC-7300, and that RTS/DTR do not need to be explicitly set.  (But as a husband and a dad, I'm familiar with "being wrong!")

Thanks and 73s for helping me out!
--John WA3KCP

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

Interesting thing is that on my computer the lower Com 5 is the B port and Com 6 is the A port.

* When the IC-7851 was first released and created two virtual serial ports when connected to a computer via a USB A-B cable, I and several others went round and round with Icom on how to determine which virtual port supported transceiver control and which virtual port supported FSK and CW generation. Eventually, Icom's response was "the lower-numbered virtual port supports transceiver control, and the higher-numbered port supports FSK and CW generation", so that's what was documented in "Getting Started with DXLab".

* Icom has since released a manual that on page 9 describes using the last letter of a virtual port's "Device Instance Path" property - A or B - to determine its function:

<http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/USB_Port_Setting_Ver.1.0_Eng.pdf>

* I have updated these two articles to reference the appropriate section of this manual:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingIcom72007600>

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FSKConnection>

Dave, AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 03:57 pm, James Wolf wrote:

I should have mentioned that the radio is an IC-7610.

+ The IC-7610 includes a built-in FSK interface. Unfortunately, Icom forgot to include an "Operating RTTY" section in chapter 4 of the IC-7610 Instruction Manual.

+ When you connect your IC-7610 to your PC with a standard USB A-B cable, two virtual serial ports are created. The lower-numbered virtual port is to be used (by Commander) for transceiver control. The higher-numbered virtual port can be configured for FSK Mark/Space switching via the DTR or RTS modem control signals; this is controlled by the "USB Keying (RTTY)" menu item on page 8-6 of the IC-7610 Instruction Manual. EXTFSK should be configured to use the appropriate modem control signal on the higher-numbered virtual port.

Jim - KR9U

Interesting thing is that on my computer the lower Com 5 is the B port and Com 6 is the A port.

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2018 8:14 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] FSK

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ The IC-7610 includes a built-in FSK interface. Unfortunately, Icom forgot to include an "Operating RTTY" section in chapter 4 of the IC-7610 Instruction Manual.

+ When you connect your IC-7610 to your PC with a standard USB A-B cable, two virtual serial ports are created. The lower-numbered virtual port is to be used (by Commander) for transceiver control. The higher-numbered virtual port can be configured for FSK Mark/Space switching via the DTR or RTS modem control signals; this is controlled by the "USB Keying (RTTY)" menu item on page 8-6 of the IC-7610 Instruction Manual. EXTFSK should be configured to use the appropriate modem control signal on the higher-numbered virtual port.

Jim - KR9U

Dave,

As you probably noticed the solution to my issue in my note back to Dave, W6DE

Thanks again,

Jim – KR9U

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2018 7:58 PM

+ AA6YQ comments below

Has anyone successly configured Winwarbler or MTTY for RTTY FSK?

+ Yes: I have, as have tens of thousands of WinWarbler and MMTTY users.

I’ve gone through the help and config setup for the umpteenth time and I only get one tone when sending. 

+ That means your transceiver's FSK input is not being switched between Mark and Space tones, either because WinWarbler/MMTTY is not properly configured for FSK operation, because the serial port you're using to convey FSK information is not properly configured or working correctly, or because the interface between your the serial port and your transceiver's FSK input is not working correctly.

Jim - KR9U

Dave,

Thanks, the Wiki helped.  The problem was that EXTFSK64 needed to be set to DTR and not TXD.

Jim – KR9U

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of w6de
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2018 7:23 PM

Are you going to use AFSK of FSK. See:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/AFSKFSK

After deciding you are going to use AFSK or FSK see:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConfigureRTTY

This might help too:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RTTY_Operation

If you have further questions include what transceiver you are using and which mode (AFSK/FSK) you are using to get more direct answers.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of James Wolf
Sent: 28 May, 2018 22:56
Subject: [DXLab] FSK

I’ve gone through the help and config setup for the umpteenth time and I only get one tone when sending.  I am using the EXTFSK64 add-on.  I also tried MMTTY by itself and get the same thing.

Jim,  KR9U

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Yes: I have, as have tens of thousands of WinWarbler and MMTTY users.

I’ve gone through the help and config setup for the umpteenth time and I only get one tone when sending. 

+ That means your transceiver's FSK input is not being switched between Mark and Space tones, either because WinWarbler/MMTTY is not properly configured for FSK operation, because the serial port you're using to convey FSK information is not properly configured or working correctly, or because the interface between your the serial port and your transceiver's FSK input is not working correctly.

w6de

Are you going to use AFSK of FSK. See:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/AFSKFSK

After deciding you are going to use AFSK or FSK see:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConfigureRTTY

This might help too:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RTTY_Operation

If you have further questions include what transceiver you are using and which mode (AFSK/FSK) you are using to get more direct answers.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of James Wolf
Sent: 28 May, 2018 22:56
Subject: [DXLab] FSK

I’ve gone through the help and config setup for the umpteenth time and I only get one tone when sending.  I am using the EXTFSK64 add-on.  I also tried MMTTY by itself and get the same thing.

Jim,  KR9U

Jim - KR9U

Thanks,

Sent: Monday, May 28, 2018 6:56 PM
To: 'DXLab@groups.io'
Subject: FSK

Jim,  KR9U

Jim - KR9U

Jim,  KR9U