Topics

DxKeeper award progress report issue with DB on a networked computer

John P

I have my DxKeeper database on my main home computer (Windows-7 machine) and have it shared so that it can be accessed (Read/Write) from the laptop I use to control the radio (also Windows-7). I'm NOT trying to access the DB from both machines at the same time.

When I "Check Progress" for DXCC on the remote laptop, it only reports a few confirmations. When I "Check Progress" for DXCC on the machine that hosts the DB, it correctly reports 20 confirmations and 5 countries worked but not confirmed.

When I "Check Progress" for WAS, WAC and Canada on either machine, I get the correct data.

John P.
WA2FZW

I have my DxKeeper database on my main home computer (Windows-7 machine) and have it shared so that it can be accessed (Read/Write) from the laptop I use to control the radio (also Windows-7). I'm NOT trying to access the DB from both machines at the same time.

When I "Check Progress" for DXCC on the remote laptop, it only reports a few confirmations. When I "Check Progress" for DXCC on the machine that hosts the DB, it correctly reports 20 confirmations and 5 countries worked but not confirmed.

When I "Check Progress" for WAS, WAC and Canada on either machine, I get the correct data.

+ You must terminate DXKeeper on your "home computer" before you start DXKeeper on your laptop, and you must terminate DXKeeper on your laptop before you start DXKeeper on your "home computer".

John P

Dave, as stated in the OP, I am  not trying to access the DB from the 2 machines simultaneously. DxKeeper is only running on one machine or the other.
--
John P.
WA2FZW

Dave AA6YQ

* AA6YQ comments below

Dave, as stated in the OP, I am not trying to access the DB from the 2 machines simultaneously. DxKeeper is only running on one machine or the other.

* The statements

"I am not trying to access the DB from the 2 machines simultaneously"

* and

" DxKeeper is only running on one machine or the other."

* do not mean the same thing. The former could be true even though you have two running instances of DXKeeper with the same log database open, which is why I articulated the "only one running instance" requirement in my response.

* If you terminated DXKeeper on your "home computer", started DXKeeper on your laptop, but find that DXKeeper on your laptop is not reporting accurate information from the log database on your home computer, then the network connectivity between your two computers must not be working correctly. Whether the root cause lies in Windows, a device driver, or the network hardware, I can't say.

John P

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 10:50 am, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
If you terminated DXKeeper on your "home computer", started DXKeeper on your laptop, but find that DXKeeper on your laptop is not reporting accurate information from the log database on your home computer, then the network connectivity between your two computers must not be working correctly. Whether the root cause lies in Windows, a device driver, or the network hardware, I can't say.

Also as I said, the problem is only with  "Check Progress" for DXCC. "Check Progress" for WAS, WAC and Canada all work fine. It would seem to me that if it was a network connectivity problem, none of them would work correctly.

--
John P.
WA2FZW

Dave AA6YQ

* AA6YQ comments below

If you terminated DXKeeper on your "home computer", started DXKeeper on your laptop, but find that DXKeeper on your laptop is not reporting accurate information from the log database on your home computer, then the network connectivity between your two computers must not be working correctly. Whether the root cause lies in Windows, a device driver, or the network hardware, I can't say.
Also as I said, the problem is only with "Check Progress" for DXCC. "Check Progress" for WAS, WAC and Canada all work fine. It would seem to me that if it was a network connectivity problem, none of them would work correctly.

* Your assumption is incorrect. Data-dependent defects are well-known phenomena, and over-the-network access provides opportunities for stale data, race conditions, and a host of other potential problems that cannot occur when accessing a local database.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 6:50 AM, John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:
I have my DxKeeper database on my main home computer (Windows-7 machine) and
have it shared so that it can be accessed (Read/Write) from the laptop I use
to control the radio (also Windows-7). I'm NOT trying to access the DB from
both machines at the same time.

When I "Check Progress" for DXCC on the remote laptop, it only reports a few
confirmations. When I "Check Progress" for DXCC on the machine that hosts
the DB, it correctly reports 20 confirmations and 5 countries worked but not
confirmed.

When I "Check Progress" for WAS, WAC and Canada on either machine, I get the
correct data.
Might you have different DXCC award objectives defined between the two
instances of DXKeeper? I believe that those are stored in the Windows
registry, not in the database. Suggest comparing the "Awards" tab of
DXKeeper Configuration between the two, including criteria like "Max
TW power"

73,

~iain / N6ML

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 11:42 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <@N6ML> wrote:
[...]

Scratch "Max TX power" - that's a Marathon thing ... but "Include
eQSL.cc QSLs in DXCC... progress" would make a difference....

73,

~iain / N6ML

John P

Thanks Iain, that  might be the problem. Didn't realize that there are such settings. I'll check it out.
--
John P.
WA2FZW

John P

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 11:43 am, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
Might you have different DXCC award objectives defined between the two
instances of DXKeeper?
That was the problem. Somehow, I didn't have the LOTW box checked!

--
John P.
WA2FZW

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 11:43 am, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
Might you have different DXCC award objectives defined between the two instances of DXKeeper?
That was the problem. Somehow, I didn't have the LOTW box checked!

+ To which "LoTW box" are you referring?

John P

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 12:59 pm, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
To which "LoTW box" are you referring?
I'll email you a picture; can't seen to add one here.

--
John P.
WA2FZW

Dave AA6YQ

# more AA6YQ comments below

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 12:59 pm, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
To which "LoTW box" are you referring?
I'll email you a picture; can't seen to add one here.

# Got your screen shot, thanks.

# The "Include LoTW QSLs in CQ & Maidenhead Grid progress" box has no influence on DXCC statistics.

# The "Include eQSL.cc QSLs in DXCC, VUCC, WAS, WAC, and Maidenhead Grid progress" box does influence DXCC statistics.

#+ As Iain N6ML pointed out, both of these checkboxes should be set consistently in your two DXKeeper instances. I also missed this as a possible cause of the discrepancy between your DXKeeper instances.

John P

Don't know why, but when I checked that box on the laptop, it went through a re-compute cycle and all was correct afterwards.
--
John P.
WA2FZW

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I wonder if it would prevent that sort of error if the workspace were also on the network storage and that you loaded the settings from the workspace on every startup. Of course that would mean the 2 computers would have to be able to use the same settings such as window sizes, number of monitors, etc. Probably not practical in most cases.

Don't know why, but when I checked that box on the laptop, it went through a re-compute cycle and all was correct afterwards.
--
John P.
WA2FZW

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Don't know why, but when I checked that box on the laptop, it went through a re-compute cycle and all was correct afterwards.

+ I suspect that it was the Recompute operation that eliminated the discrepancy - which begs the question of why the discrepancy existed, and will more such discrepancies arise.

+ Do you really want DXKeeper to "count" QSOs confirmed via eQSL.cc towards ARRL awards? The ARRL does not accept eQSL.cc confirmations.

John P

I'm not all that interested in "official" awards, but it's nice to keep track for myself.

--
John P.
WA2FZW

I'm not all that interested in "official" awards, but it's nice to keep track for myself.

+ That's why those options are provided. I'm glad you have things working to your satisfaction, and thanks again to Iain N6ML for correctly identifying the root cause.