Windows 10 users: heads up!

Dave AA6YQ

A report from a trusted source indicates that Windows 10 version 1803 has significant stability problems. At minimum, direct Windows
to create a "restore point" and backup your log before allowing an upgrade to this version.

There have also been reports that Windows 10 has been replacing device drivers provided by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu with generic
drivers that do not perform well. This article from 2015 explains how to prevent that from happening:

<http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10>

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
A report from a trusted source indicates that Windows 10 version 1803 has significant stability problems. At minimum, direct Windows
to create a "restore point" and backup your log before allowing an upgrade to this version.

There have also been reports that Windows 10 has been replacing device drivers provided by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu with generic
drivers that do not perform well. This article from 2015 explains how to prevent that from happening:

<http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10>
FWIW, I've been on 1803 (as a "Windows Insider") since April 1st
(hmm!) with no issues. I'm not using any of those drivers, though....

73,

~iain / N6ML

RIchard Thorne

I have a Flex 6700.  Windows updates will screw up DAX and or SmartSDR.

Tim published this the other day https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/important-notice-windows-10-update-1803-precautions

I followed the procudure and my 6700 is running fine.

No apparent issues with DXLab as of yet.

Rich - N5ZC

On 5/1/2018 7:14 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
A report from a trusted source indicates that Windows 10 version 1803 has significant stability problems. At minimum, direct Windows
to create a "restore point" and backup your log before allowing an upgrade to this version.

There have also been reports that Windows 10 has been replacing device drivers provided by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu with generic
drivers that do not perform well. This article from 2015 explains how to prevent that from happening:

<http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10>
FWIW, I've been on 1803 (as a "Windows Insider") since April 1st
(hmm!) with no issues. I'm not using any of those drivers, though....

73,

~iain / N6ML

Bill N5IR

Flex is advising users to uninstall all SSDR, CAT, and DAX sw before taking the update.  They are worried about the same issue as you noted. Then re-install all Flex sw after the update.

I did all of this last night before forcing the 1803 update.  Everything came up fine and has been stable all day for me.  No issues with the DXLab suite.

Bill, N5IR

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 7:14 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
> A report from a trusted source indicates that Windows 10 version 1803 has significant stability problems. At minimum, direct Windows
> to create a "restore point" and backup your log before allowing an upgrade to this version.
>
> There have also been reports that Windows 10 has been replacing device drivers provided by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu with generic
> drivers that do not perform well. This article from 2015 explains how to prevent that from happening:
>
> <http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10>

FWIW, I've been on 1803 (as a "Windows Insider") since April 1st
(hmm!) with no issues. I'm not using any of those drivers, though....

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Bob N3PPH

A big problem for me was loss of soundcard modes. This is fixed by settings/privacy/microphone and enabling apps to access microphone. As usual we pay microsoft to beta test for them.
73,
Bob N3PPH

Björn SM7IUN

Thanks Dave,

Very much appreciated.

Already the "cumulative update" of Windows 10 1709 to version 16299.402 (KB4093105) the other day created a blue
screen crash if my any of my Microham and/or ICOM gear was connected during the installation process.

It also rendered the USB serial port drivers for my two ICOM radios useless, requiring reinstallation of both.

73,

Björn SM7IUN

A report from a trusted source indicates that Windows 10 version 1803 has significant stability problems. At minimum, direct Windows
to create a "restore point" and backup your log before allowing an upgrade to this version.

There have also been reports that Windows 10 has been replacing device drivers provided by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu with generic
drivers that do not perform well. This article from 2015 explains how to prevent that from happening:

<http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10>

Björn SM7IUN

My sound cards were also confused (some even traded names with each other) but could be restored in the settings.

I disconnected all my USB devices except keyboard and mouse during the upgrade and apart from the sound card issue it went problem free.

73,

Björn SM7IUN

A big problem for me was loss of soundcard modes. This is fixed by settings/privacy/microphone and enabling apps to access microphone. As usual we pay microsoft to beta test for them.
73,
Bob N3PPH

Salvatore Besso

Dave,

on Windows 10 (1709) there isn't any additional option, you can choose only yes or no.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Björn SM7IUN

Salvatore,

I noticed the same on my PC. Microsoft has removed the options displayed in the
tutorial from 2015 and you can now only allow or disallow driver/icon downloads.

73,

Björn SM7IUN

Dave,

on Windows 10 (1709) there isn't any additional option, you can choose only yes or no.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2018-05-01 11:21 PM, Robert Sheskin wrote:
This is fixed by settings/privacy/microphone and enabling apps to
access microphone.
The settings/privacy/microphone setting should truly be called "Allow
apps to use audio devices" instead of "Allow apps to access your
microphone".

In practice, if "Allow apps to access your microphone" is *OFF*, Windows
10 will ignore/reject an attempt to open *any* audio device. MMTTY, for
example, will behave as if there is no sound card connected (even though
they are all listed in the "Soundcard" tab).

On 2018-05-01 11:21 PM, Robert Sheskin wrote:
A big problem for me was loss of soundcard modes. This is fixed by settings/privacy/microphone and enabling apps to access microphone. As usual we pay microsoft to beta test for them.
73,
Bob N3PPH

Dave Corio

I can confirm this fix works - at least on my machine. And yes, it SHOULD be re-titled as "Allow apps to use audio devices!!!

73
Dave - KB3MOW

On 2018-05-01 11:21 PM, Robert Sheskin wrote:
A big problem for me was loss of soundcard modes. This is fixed by settings/privacy/microphone and enabling apps to access microphone. As usual we pay microsoft to beta test for them.
73,
Bob N3PPH

This is fixed by settings/privacy/microphone and enabling apps to > access microphone.
The settings/privacy/microphone setting should truly be called "Allow apps to use audio devices" instead of "Allow apps to access your microphone".

In practice, if "Allow apps to access your microphone" is *OFF*, Windows
10 will ignore/reject an attempt to open *any* audio device. MMTTY, for example, will behave as if there is no sound card connected (even though they are all listed in the "Soundcard" tab).

+ I have added an "enable Allow apps to access your microphone" step to

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Multimode_Setup

+ and

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes

+ and several other "soundcard configuration" articles in "Getting Started with DXLab".

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I did not have to do that. Sound did not get denied to anything that was using it.
I did the upgrade by downloading the upgrade application that went out and got the actual upgrade rather than waiting for it to be done when usoft felt like doing it. 2 Pcs, and no problems.

Also MUCH easier then downloading the media creation tool. Not sure why anyone would go through that, especially the requirement to join the insider group. I say DO NOT JOIN, It is nearly impossible to get out of it once you do without starting with fresh full clean install.

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W
Hierro candente, batir de repente
HP Laptop

[...]

ART SEARLE <w2nra2@...>

Hi Dave and the group,

In the last couple of days all three computers here have been updated to Windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.48 without issue.  These were lengthy updates with multiple parts and restarts.  I did use Dave's, AA6YQ, suggestion below to stop the automatic update of drivers.

Thank you, Dave!

73, art w2nra

On 5/1/2018 20:10, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
A report from a trusted source indicates that Windows 10 version 1803 has significant stability problems. At minimum, direct Windows
to create a "restore point" and backup your log before allowing an upgrade to this version.

There have also been reports that Windows 10 has been replacing device drivers provided by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu with generic
drivers that do not perform well. This article from 2015 explains how to prevent that from happening:

<http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10>

William Turner

On Sun, 13 May 2018 12:27:43 -0400, you wrote:

Hi Dave and the group,

In the last couple of days all three computers here have been updated to
Windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.48 without issue.  These were
lengthy updates with multiple parts and restarts.  I did use Dave's,
AA6YQ, suggestion below to stop the automatic update of drivers.

Thank you, Dave!

73, art w2nra
REPLY:

Just a few minutes ago my computer was updated automatically and now
it is really screwed up, everything from fonts to audio drivers to you
name it. I am ditching Windows 10 and going back to Windows 7 which I
always liked better anyway.

If equivalent ham radio programs ever become available for Linux, I
will switch in a heartbeat. If I win the Lottery, my first expenditure
will be to hire a raft of programmers and create the above.

I truly despise Microsoft.

73, Bill W6WRT

Richard Clare

When I choose : No let me choose what to do I do not get any of the three choices illustrated. Richard wb6ewm

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

+ The cited article was written in 2015, and evidently does not apply to all flavors of Windows 10. I suggest that you contact Microsoft Support and ask them how to prevent your device drivers from being "adjusted" by automatic updates. Please post your results here.

In the last couple of days all three computers here have been updated to Windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.48 without issue. These were lengthy updates with multiple parts and restarts. I did use Dave's, AA6YQ, suggestion below to stop the automatic update of drivers.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I guess I was lucky. I just let the update go and the only thing different is that OUTLOOK keeps asking for my gmail password about 2-4 times a day. That is very strange because I just hit enter and do not give a password. The password is not wrong and email still works. I do not think that was from the update but who knows. It started shortly after the update but this has happened on W7 and W8 too and there are many comments on forums including Microsoft Forums about this problem with no answers that mean anything. I always make sure that I have an image backup before the big update and I do the update by downloading it so I know when it will happen. So far so good. Both Laptop and Desktop are fine although radio is only on the desktop.

[...]

John P

I sometimes have that problem with Outlook and Comcast mail on Windows-7. I suspect it's an issue with the mail server, not Outlook.
--
John P.
WA2FZW

Don Hill AA5AU

The Windows 10 Update today rendered both my USB sound cards inoperable. The solution was to reinstall them both. The on board sound card was OK. I'm greatly disappointed that Microsoft continues to break stuff with their updates.

Don AA5AU