Topics

Dave's replies

Daniel Violette
 

Hate to say “same here” too but some do not believe.  Using Outlook and Digest receipt.  Dave’s replies are missing and you need to click the “view online” to open in a browser, then you need to click the 3 dots and the reply opens.  A lot of work when Dave is most of the replies and each needs to be done that way (or you don’t bother and miss reading the reply).  The completed old message and reply are truncated out of the digest.  All we see is the message up to “+++ AA6YQ comments below.

 

Dan KI6X

Steve Case WA7ETE
 

I'm having no problems seeing his responses here.
 
 
 


From: "Daniel Violette" <danki6x@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2018 12:10 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Dave's replies
 

Hate to say “same here” too but some do not believe.  Using Outlook and Digest receipt.  Dave’s replies are missing and you need to click the “view online” to open in a browser, then you need to click the 3 dots and the reply opens.  A lot of work when Dave is most of the replies and each needs to be done that way (or you don’t bother and miss reading the reply).  The completed old message and reply are truncated out of the digest.  All we see is the message up to “+++ AA6YQ comments below.

 

Dan KI6X

Dave AA6YQ
 

AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel Violette
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2018 3:10 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Dave's replies

Hate to say "same here" too but some do not believe. Using Outlook and Digest receipt. Dave's replies are missing and you need to
click the "view online" to open in a browser, then you need to click the 3 dots and the reply opens. A lot of work when Dave is
most of the replies and each needs to be done that way (or you don't bother and miss reading the reply). The completed old message
and reply are truncated out of the digest. All we see is the message up to "+++ AA6YQ comments below".

Perhaps those who prefer to receive digests could engage with groups.io to improve their digest mechanism.
73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Rene Correa, K5JX
 

I see Dave’s comments below just fine. They appear in green.

On Apr 1, 2018, at 2:18 PM, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel Violette
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2018 3:10 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Dave's replies

Hate to say "same here" too but some do not believe. Using Outlook and Digest receipt. Dave's replies are missing and you need to
click the "view online" to open in a browser, then you need to click the 3 dots and the reply opens. A lot of work when Dave is
most of the replies and each needs to be done that way (or you don't bother and miss reading the reply). The completed old message
and reply are truncated out of the digest. All we see is the message up to "+++ AA6YQ comments below".

Perhaps those who prefer to receive digests could engage with groups.io to improve their digest mechanism.
73,

Dave, AA6YQ



g4wjs
 

On 01/04/2018 20:18, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
Perhaps those who prefer to receive digests could engage with groups.io to improve their digest mechanism.

Hi Dave,

I feel that the root of the issue is your unusual email quoting style. There are many acceptable quoting styles as described here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

and more formally in RFC 3676 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt .

Your quoting style does not match any of the suggested options and therefore will confuse most email clients and email reflector software. Have you tried any of the available automatic quoting options available in Outlook, particularly the "prefix each line of the original" one which is least likely to cause problems IMHO?


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

Dave AA6YQ
 

Perhaps those who prefer to receive digests could engage with groups.io to improve their digest mechanism.

Hi Dave,

I feel that the root of the issue is your unusual email quoting style. There are many acceptable quoting styles as described here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

and more formally in RFC 3676 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt .

Your quoting style does not match any of the suggested options and therefore will confuse most email clients and email reflector software. Have you tried any of the available automatic quoting options available in Outlook, particularly the "prefix each line of the original" one which is least likely to cause problems IMHO?

I dislike "prefix each line of the original" because the insertion of prefix characters often mangles the original message.
73,

Dave, AA6YQ

g4wjs
 

On 01/04/2018 20:55, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
I dislike "prefix each line of the original" because the insertion of prefix characters often mangles the original message.

Hi Dave,

in my experience that is due to the email client, doing the quoting, insisting on re-wrapping the quoted text by inserting hard line breaks rather than having it flow naturally when rendering it. For example as I write this I can adjust the email writing window width as I write without issues:


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

g4wjs
 

On 01/04/2018 21:06, g4wjs wrote:
I can adjust the email writing window width as I write without issues:
Hi hi,

apart from the unexpected issue that in-line images are removed from posts. So that rather ruined the intent of my demonstration.



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

Gilbert Baron W0MN
 

I see no reason to use digest IF that is the way it works. Just let them all flow and the problem is gone. Who really cares since the mail is stored on the server if you use imap and takes no space on your system.

 

 

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Daniel Violette
Sent: Sunday, April 1, 2018 14:10
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Dave's replies

 

Hate to say “same here” too but some do not believe.  Using Outlook and Digest receipt.  Dave’s replies are missing and you need to click the “view online” to open in a browser, then you need to click the 3 dots and the reply opens.  A lot of work when Dave is most of the replies and each needs to be done that way (or you don’t bother and miss reading the reply).  The completed old message and reply are truncated out of the digest.  All we see is the message up to “+++ AA6YQ comments below.

 

Dan KI6X


--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Dave AA6YQ
 

+++ more AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of g4wjs
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2018 4:07 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Dave's replies

On 01/04/2018 20:55, Dave AA6YQ wrote:


I dislike "prefix each line of the original" because the insertion of prefix characters often mangles the original message.

Hi Dave,

in my experience that is due to the email client, doing the quoting, insisting on re-wrapping the quoted text by inserting hard line breaks rather than having it flow naturally when rendering it. For example as I write this I can adjust the email writing window width as I write without issues:

+++ After DXLab development is complete, I'll consider developing, documenting, and testing a new email client that works with the .PST files that contain my multi-decade repository of categorized email messages and does a better job of quoting in responses. Until then, I will continue to use Outlook with no prefix characters.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

wb2nvr <wb2nvr@...>
 

Using digest view with an iPad, and this is all I see:

4c. 
Re: Dave's replies 
From: Dave AA6YQ
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 12:18:30 PDT 

AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----

View/Reply Online (4) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

Bob WB2NVR

neil_zampella
 

In that case I have a few questions:

 

1.  How are you getting the emails:   Digest or individual emails

2.  What are you using to view the emails, browser based email system, or local email program (Thunderbird, Outlook, or other)>

The reason I ask is that I don't see any of those replies using Thunderbird.

 

73,

Neil, KN3ILZ

neil_zampella
 

Not all use IMAP ...

Neil, KN3ILZ

Joe WB9SBD
 

This is a prime example,,,

You are replying to someone, Who, we have zero idea without the original message being copied into your reply.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 4/2/2018 10:00 AM, neil_zampella wrote:

In that case I have a few questions:

 

1.  How are you getting the emails:   Digest or individual emails

2.  What are you using to view the emails, browser based email system, or local email program (Thunderbird, Outlook, or other)>

The reason I ask is that I don't see any of those replies using Thunderbird.

 

73,

Neil, KN3ILZ


g4wjs
 

On 02/04/2018 16:52, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
This is a prime example,,,

You are replying to someone, Who, we have zero idea without the original message being copied into your reply.

Joe,

that is incorrect, the messages are threaded and include "In reply to" header entries that point back to the message that is being replied to as well as the original message in the thread. Try enabling threaded reading in your email client.

Message ID: <1522681259879378431.8877@groups.io>
In reply to: <152166C19F33A208.16322@groups.io>
References: <152166C19F33A208.16322@groups.io>

in the case of Neil's message. Any decent email client will list the thread in such a way that it is clear who is replying to which messages. If you are using the Groups.io web mail reader then tough as it is only marginally better that the awful Yahoo Groups one.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

Joe WB9SBD
 

Maybe if you are using the web page as the e mail. But a POP e mail client sees nothing,

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 4/2/2018 11:06 AM, g4wjs wrote:
On 02/04/2018 16:52, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
This is a prime example,,,

You are replying to someone, Who, we have zero idea without the original message being copied into your reply.

Joe,

that is incorrect, the messages are threaded and include "In reply to" header entries that point back to the message that is being replied to as well as the original message in the thread. Try enabling threaded reading in your email client.

Message ID: <1522681259879378431.8877@groups.io>
In reply to: <152166C19F33A208.16322@groups.io>
References: <152166C19F33A208.16322@groups.io>

in the case of Neil's message. Any decent email client will list the thread in such a way that it is clear who is replying to which messages. If you are using the Groups.io web mail reader then tough as it is only marginally better that the awful Yahoo Groups one.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.


g4wjs
 

On 02/04/2018 17:20, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
Maybe if you are using the web page as the e mail. But a POP e mail client sees nothing,

Joe,

did you read my message?

If your email client is incapable of rendering threaded lists of email folders then you might like to try a different email client that is capable, you may be impressed. POP or IMAP is not relevant here, both see the same email headers and bodies, the main difference is where they are stored not what you see.


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Bill,

Not every POP user stores read messages on his/her computer. It is
*ALWAYS* appropriate to quote enough of the message to which one is
responding to provide a context for the reply.

This is regardless of the e-mail software being used although Outlook,
Thunderbird, etc. *do* provide proper threading (and will even thread
"new" messages sent with "Reply to" in the "old" topic).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 4/2/2018 2:47 PM, g4wjs wrote:
On 02/04/2018 17:20, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
Maybe if you are using the web page as the e mail. But a POP e mail client sees nothing,
Joe,
did you read my message?
If your email client is incapable of rendering threaded lists of email folders then you might like to try a different email client that is capable, you may be impressed. POP or IMAP is not relevant here, both see the same email headers and bodies, the main difference is where they are stored not what you see.

Joe WB9SBD
 

Hi Bill,

I am not sure what you are meaning?

Many of my "Groups" have made this transition. No Issues. This is the Only one where
Reply goes to the group
Reply all also goes to the group

the others are set up

reply goes to the sender or the group,
and reply all goes to both.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 4/2/2018 1:47 PM, g4wjs wrote:
On 02/04/2018 17:20, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
Maybe if you are using the web page as the e mail. But a POP e mail client sees nothing,

Joe,

did you read my message?

If your email client is incapable of rendering threaded lists of email folders then you might like to try a different email client that is capable, you may be impressed. POP or IMAP is not relevant here, both see the same email headers and bodies, the main difference is where they are stored not what you see.


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.


Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
 
Edited

Hi all,

This is not an email client issue as I cannot see Dave's posts using any of the 5 browsers I have installed here. I still have to click on those three dots.

Occasionally, I CAN see Dave's full posts and I am sure this only started recently and not when this forum moved to this place.

Furthermore, Dave thinks that I am the only person affected by this. That is what he said in an email he sent just over 12 hours ago.

73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT