Topics

No Receive in WinWarbler

Alan Swinger

Dave - Hooked headphone to the K3 Line Out (goes to Computer Soundcard Input) and I hear RTTY signals all OK. I also changed to a different cable and still no Receive indications on WW except for a dot in the middle of the circular screen in the RTTY Receive section of WW.
It looks as if something is turned off but don't recall changing any settings.
Thoughts? - alan K9MBQ

-----Original Message-----
>From: Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...>
>Sent: Dec 18, 2017 7:24 PM
>To: 'Alan Swinger' <awswinger@...>
>Cc: 'Elecraft Support' <support@...>, 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft' <dale@...>
>Subject: RE: RTTY Receive issue
>
>Try listening to the soundcard inputs with a pair of headphones or an active speaker.
>
>     Dave
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Alan Swinger [mailto:awswinger@...]
>Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:58 PM
>To: Dave AA6YQ
>Cc: 'Elecraft Support'; 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft'
>
>Would appreciate any suggestions how best to do that.
>Thanks - Alan
>
>
>>From: Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...>
>>Sent: Dec 18, 2017 5:53 PM
>>To: 'Alan Swinger' <awswinger@...>
>>Cc: 'Elecraft Support' <support@...>, 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft' <dale@...>
>>Subject: RE: RTTY Receive issue
>>
>>>>>AA6YQ comments below

>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Alan Swinger [mailto:awswinger@...]
>>Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:27 PM
>>To: Elecraft Support; Dale Farmer - Elecraft; aa6yq@...
>>Subject: RTTY Receive issue
>>
>>Elecraft - Have used my K3 w/o problems for yrs on Digital modes, but today for reasons unknown signals are not showing on the screen of DXLAB WinWarbler (WW). I can transmit all OK using WW. I checked the cables from my computer to the K3 and continuity is all OK. MIC SEL I on LINE IN and gain is at 20 where it has been.
>>
>>I have not changed configurations and problem is on all bands . . . not seeing or decoding RTTY or PSK (if there were any since FT8 seems to have displaced them)!? Pls advise.
>>
>>Dave - Seems like I have seen some updates to DXLAB recently. Could those be the cause? Any suggestions?
>>
>>>>>There has not been a recent update of WinWarbler.
>>
>>>>>The usual cause of this is a Windows Update that scrambles your soundcard settings so that WinWarbler doesn't see any signals, but first verify that audio output from your K3 is present at your soundcard inputs.
>> 
>>       73,
>>
>>             Dave, AA6YQ
>>
>

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:48 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: [dxlab] No Receive in WinWarbler

Dave - Hooked headphone to the K3 Line Out (goes to Computer Soundcard Input) and I hear RTTY signals all OK. I also changed to a different cable and still no Receive indications on WW except for a dot in the middle of the circular screen in the RTTY Receive section of WW.
Thoughts?

If, as repeatedly recommended, you have directed the Launcher to save your working WinWarbler settings to a Workspace, then restore WinWarbler settings from that saved Workspace:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace>

Otherwise, compare your settings to the those recommended here and correct any discrepancies:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Multimode_Setup>

Dave, AA6YQ

ve3ki

If there is audio coming out of the radio on the connector that normally goes to the sound card, but the software is not seeing anything, that suggests that either the software is using the wrong sound card input or the sound card level setting is too low. If you have plugged in or unplugged a sound card input or output (even on an unrelated device) or connected or disconnected an external sound card device, Windows may have played games with your sound card settings.

Rich VE3KI

---In dxlab@..., <awswinger@...> wrote :

Thoughts? - alan K9MBQ

>
>Try listening to the soundcard inputs with a pair of headphones or an active speaker.
>
>     Dave
>
>
>Thanks - Alan
>
>
>>

>>
>>Elecraft - Have used my K3 w/o problems for yrs on Digital modes, but today for reasons unknown signals are not showing on the screen of DXLAB WinWarbler (WW). I can transmit all OK using WW. I checked the cables from my computer to the K3 and continuity is all OK. MIC SEL I on LINE IN and gain is at 20 where it has been.
>>
>>I have not changed configurations and problem is on all bands . . . not seeing or decoding RTTY or PSK (if there were any since FT8 seems to have displaced them)!? Pls advise.
>>
>>Dave - Seems like I have seen some updates to DXLAB recently. Could those be the cause? Any suggestions?
>>
>>
>>>>>The usual cause of this is a Windows Update that scrambles your soundcard settings so that WinWarbler doesn't see any signals, but first verify that audio output from your K3 is present at your soundcard inputs.
>> 
>>       73,
>>
>>
>

Alan Swinger

Rich - Tks for responding and Merry Christmas to all.

As I told Dave separately, I can make the Soundcard and WW connect and see RTTY correctly for a brief period .. . so I know the sound card is working and that the info is getting from the K3 (as it always has until this glitch!?). However, the connection w/ the soundcard, WW, and the radio drops out after 15 seconds or so.

BTW, I can listen to any other audio thru the soundcard all OK . . . so I am now in the process of starting from scratch w/ WW & RTTY/Dig SetUp.

However, I find this very annoying and am hoping someone on this grp can help.

Tks and 73 - Alan

Sent: Dec 19, 2017 3:53 PM
Subject: [dxlab] Re: No Receive in WinWarbler

If there is audio coming out of the radio on the connector that normally goes to the sound card, but the software is not seeing anything, that suggests that either the software is using the wrong sound card input or the sound card level setting is too low. If you have plugged in or unplugged a sound card input or output (even on an unrelated device) or connected or disconnected an external sound card device, Windows may have played games with your sound card settings.

Rich VE3KI

---In dxlab@..., wrote :

Thoughts? - alan K9MBQ

>From: Dave AA6YQ
>To: 'Alan Swinger'
>Cc: 'Elecraft Support' , 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft'
>
>
>     Dave
>
>
>Thanks - Alan
>
>
>>From: Dave AA6YQ
>>To: 'Alan Swinger'
>>Cc: 'Elecraft Support' , 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft'
>>

>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> 
>>       73,
>>
>>
>

ve3ki

There is a good chance the problem is in Windows, not in any of the DXLab Suite settings. Take a look at <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventUSBPortPowerDown> to see if following the instructions there stops your connections from dropping out.

Rich VE3KI

As I told Dave separately, I can make the Soundcard and WW connect and see RTTY correctly for a brief period .. . so I know the sound card is working and that the info is getting from the K3 (as it always has until this glitch!?). However, the connection w/ the soundcard, WW, and the radio drops out after 15 seconds or so.

BTW, I can listen to any other audio thru the soundcard all OK . . . so I am now in the process of starting from scratch w/ WW & RTTY/Dig SetUp.

Tks and 73 - Alan

Rich VE3KI

Thoughts? - alan K9MBQ

>
>
>     Dave
>
>
>Thanks - Alan
>
>
>>

>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> 
>>       73,
>>
>>
>

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:26 PM
To: dxlab@...; dxlab@...
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Re: No Receive in WinWarbler

There is no setting in WinWarbler that would result in an audio dropout after 15 seconds. That sounds like a soundcard driver or Windows issue.

Dave, AA6YQ

Joe Subich, W4TV

This is typically due to Windows or another application muting the
sound card you are using for WinWarbler?

Are you attempting to use the sound card on the motherboard of your
computer or do you have a second sound card for amateur use? The
best solution *under any circumstances* is to have a second sound
card dedicated to amateur software and configure Windows (Sound Control
Panel) to use the motherboard sound card as both the Default Device
(Windows recording device) and the Default Communications Device (Skype
and Cortana). In addition, configure Windows to use the speaker of
the motherboard sound card as the Default (playback) Device (the
"Windows noises") so Windows sounds and streaming audio are never sent
to the transceiver (on the air).

... Joe, W4TV

On 12/19/2017 5:25 PM, Alan Swinger awswinger@... [dxlab] wrote:
As I told Dave separately, I can make the Soundcard and WW connect and see RTTY
correctly for a brief period .. . so I know the sound card is working and that
the info is getting from the K3 (as it always has until this glitch!?). However,
the connection w/ the soundcard, WW, and the radio drops out after 15 seconds or
so.
BTW, I can listen to any other audio thru the soundcard all OK . . . so I am now
in the process of starting from scratch w/ WW & RTTY/Dig SetUp.
Tks and 73 - Alan
If there is audio coming out of the radio on the connector that normally
goes to the sound card, but the software is not seeing anything, that
suggests that either the software is using the wrong sound card input or the
sound card level setting is too low. If you have plugged in or unplugged a
sound card input or output (even on an unrelated device) or connected or
disconnected an external sound card device, Windows may have played games
with your sound card settings.
Rich VE3KI
Dave - Hooked headphone to the K3 Line Out (goes to Computer Soundcard
Input) and I hear RTTY signals all OK. I also changed to a different cable
and still no Receive indications on WW except for a dot in the middle of the
circular screen in the RTTY Receive section of WW.
Thoughts? - alan K9MBQ

>
>
> Dave
>
>
>Thanks - Alan
>
>
>>

>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Dave, AA6YQ
>>
>

Alan Swinger

Joe - Many thanks, but this is a New problem with a Win 7 system on which WW has worked all OK for yrs w/ the one and only sound card that came w/ this Dell laptop. Agree that Windows or something (no new apps installed lately) is muting the external input to the card, and that is what I am trying to solve . . . w/o adding another sound card.

Just want to restore the system to where it was and not have this receive muting issue.

Best regards - Alan

Sent: Dec 19, 2017 7:43 PM

> As I told Dave separately, I can make the Soundcard and WW connect
> and see RTTY correctly for a brief period .. . so I know the sound
> card is working and that the info is getting from the K3 (as it
> always has until this glitch!?). However, the connection w/ the
> soundcard, WW, and the radio drops out after 15 seconds or so.

.... Joe, W4TV

>
>
> Rich - Tks for responding and Merry Christmas to all.
>
> As I told Dave separately, I can make the Soundcard and WW connect and see RTTY
> correctly for a brief period .. . so I know the sound card is working and that
> the info is getting from the K3 (as it always has until this glitch!?). However,
> the connection w/ the soundcard, WW, and the radio drops out after 15 seconds or
> so.
>
> BTW, I can listen to any other audio thru the soundcard all OK . . . so I am now
> in the process of starting from scratch w/ WW & RTTY/Dig SetUp.
>
> However, I find this very annoying and am hoping someone on this grp can help.
>
> Tks and 73 - Alan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "ve3iay@... [dxlab]"
> Sent: Dec 19, 2017 3:53 PM
> To: dxlab@...
> Subject: [dxlab] Re: No Receive in WinWarbler
>
> If there is audio coming out of the radio on the connector that normally
> goes to the sound card, but the software is not seeing anything, that
> suggests that either the software is using the wrong sound card input or the
> sound card level setting is too low. If you have plugged in or unplugged a
> sound card input or output (even on an unrelated device) or connected or
> disconnected an external sound card device, Windows may have played games
> with your sound card settings.
>
>
> 73,
> Rich VE3KI
>
>
>
> ---In dxlab@..., wrote :
>
> Dave - Hooked headphone to the K3 Line Out (goes to Computer Soundcard
> Input) and I hear RTTY signals all OK. I also changed to a different cable
> and still no Receive indications on WW except for a dot in the middle of the
> circular screen in the RTTY Receive section of WW.
> It looks as if something is turned off but don't recall changing any settings.
> Thoughts? - alan K9MBQ
>
>
> >From: Dave AA6YQ
> >Sent: Dec 18, 2017 7:24 PM
> >To: 'Alan Swinger'
> >Cc: 'Elecraft Support' , 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft'
> >Subject: RE: RTTY Receive issue
> >
> >Try listening to the soundcard inputs with a pair of headphones or an active speaker.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: Alan Swinger [mailto:awswinger@...]
> >Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:58 PM
> >To: Dave AA6YQ
> >Cc: 'Elecraft Support'; 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft'
> >
> >Would appreciate any suggestions how best to do that.
> >Thanks - Alan
> >
> >
> >>From: Dave AA6YQ
> >>Sent: Dec 18, 2017 5:53 PM
> >>To: 'Alan Swinger'
> >>Cc: 'Elecraft Support' , 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft'
> >>Subject: RE: RTTY Receive issue
> >>
> >>>>>AA6YQ comments below
>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: Alan Swinger [mailto:awswinger@...]
> >>Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:27 PM
> >>To: Elecraft Support; Dale Farmer - Elecraft; aa6yq@...
> >>Subject: RTTY Receive issue
> >>
> >>Elecraft - Have used my K3 w/o problems for yrs on Digital modes, but today for reasons unknown signals are not showing on the screen of DXLAB WinWarbler (WW). I can transmit all OK using WW. I checked the cables from my computer to the K3 and continuity is all OK. MIC SEL I on LINE IN and gain is at 20 where it has been.
> >>
> >>I have not changed configurations and problem is on all bands . . . not seeing or decoding RTTY or PSK (if there were any since FT8 seems to have displaced them)!? Pls advise.
> >>
> >>Dave - Seems like I have seen some updates to DXLAB recently. Could those be the cause? Any suggestions?
> >>
> >>>>>There has not been a recent update of WinWarbler.
> >>
> >>>>>The usual cause of this is a Windows Update that scrambles your soundcard settings so that WinWarbler doesn't see any signals, but first verify that audio output from your K3 is present at your soundcard inputs.
> >>
> >> 73,
> >>
> >> Dave, AA6YQ
> >>
> >
>
>
>
>
>

Joe Subich, W4TV

With a single sound card, it is very likely that Windows has selected
the "microphone" input as its default device while WW is trying to use
the "Line" input. What happens is that WW opens the Line input ...
Windows then realizes that something has switched the active input and
switches back to the microphone input.

With a single sound card you really need to set both the Windows Default
(Recording) Device and the Default Communications Device to the same
(endpoint) input as you will be using for WW (MMTTY and PSKcore) so
that all applications and Windows are pointed to the same input.

It is still a bad idea to use a single sound card - particularly due to
the chance of "Windows noises," streaming audio *AND* SpotCollector's
announcements ("Joe DX") reaching the transceiver's audio input and
going out "on the air".

... Joe, W4TV

On 12/19/2017 8:58 PM, Alan Swinger awswinger@... [dxlab] wrote:
Joe - Many thanks, but this is a New problem with a Win 7 system on which WW has
worked all OK for yrs w/ the one and only sound card that came w/ this Dell
laptop. Agree that Windows or something (no new apps installed lately) is muting
the external input to the card, and that is what I am trying to solve . . . w/o
adding another sound card.
Just want to restore the system to where it was and not have this receive muting
issue.
Best regards - Alan
Sent: Dec 19, 2017 7:43 PM

> As I told Dave separately, I can make the Soundcard and WW connect
> and see RTTY correctly for a brief period .. . so I know the sound
> card is working and that the info is getting from the K3 (as it
> always has until this glitch!?). However, the connection w/ the
> soundcard, WW, and the radio drops out after 15 seconds or so.
.... Joe, W4TV
>
>
> Rich - Tks for responding and Merry Christmas to all.
>
> As I told Dave separately, I can make the Soundcard and WW connect and
see RTTY
> correctly for a brief period .. . so I know the sound card is working and
that
> the info is getting from the K3 (as it always has until this glitch!?).
However,
> the connection w/ the soundcard, WW, and the radio drops out after 15
seconds or
> so.
>
> BTW, I can listen to any other audio thru the soundcard all OK . . . so I
am now
> in the process of starting from scratch w/ WW & RTTY/Dig SetUp.
>
> However, I find this very annoying and am hoping someone on this grp can
help.
>
> Tks and 73 - Alan
>
> From: "ve3iay@... [dxlab]"
> Sent: Dec 19, 2017 3:53 PM
> To: dxlab@...
> Subject: [dxlab] Re: No Receive in WinWarbler
>
> If there is audio coming out of the radio on the connector that normally
> goes to the sound card, but the software is not seeing anything, that
> suggests that either the software is using the wrong sound card input or the
> sound card level setting is too low. If you have plugged in or unplugged a
> sound card input or output (even on an unrelated device) or connected or
> disconnected an external sound card device, Windows may have played games
> with your sound card settings.
>
>
> 73,
> Rich VE3KI
>
>
>
> ---In dxlab@..., <awswinger@...> wrote :
>
> Dave - Hooked headphone to the K3 Line Out (goes to Computer Soundcard
> Input) and I hear RTTY signals all OK. I also changed to a different cable
> and still no Receive indications on WW except for a dot in the middle of the
> circular screen in the RTTY Receive section of WW.
> It looks as if something is turned off but don't recall changing any
settings.
> Thoughts? - alan K9MBQ
>
>
> >From: Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...>
> >Sent: Dec 18, 2017 7:24 PM
> >To: 'Alan Swinger' <awswinger@...>
> >Cc: 'Elecraft Support' <support@...>, 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft' <dale@...>
> >
> >Try listening to the soundcard inputs with a pair of headphones or an
active speaker.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> >From: Alan Swinger [mailto:awswinger@...]
> >Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:58 PM
> >To: Dave AA6YQ
> >Cc: 'Elecraft Support'; 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft'
> >
> >Would appreciate any suggestions how best to do that.
> >Thanks - Alan
> >
> >
> >>From: Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...>
> >>Sent: Dec 18, 2017 5:53 PM
> >>To: 'Alan Swinger' <awswinger@...>
> >>Cc: 'Elecraft Support' <support@...>, 'Dale Farmer - Elecraft' <dale@...>
> >>Subject: RE: RTTY Receive issue
> >>
> >>>>>AA6YQ comments below
>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: Alan Swinger [mailto:awswinger@...]
> >>Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:27 PM
> >>To: Elecraft Support; Dale Farmer - Elecraft; aa6yq@...
> >>Subject: RTTY Receive issue
> >>
> >>Elecraft - Have used my K3 w/o problems for yrs on Digital modes, but
today for reasons unknown signals are not showing on the screen of DXLAB
WinWarbler (WW). I can transmit all OK using WW. I checked the cables from
my computer to the K3 and continuity is all OK. MIC SEL I on LINE IN and
gain is at 20 where it has been.
> >>
> >>I have not changed configurations and problem is on all bands . . . not
seeing or decoding RTTY or PSK (if there were any since FT8 seems to have
displaced them)!? Pls advise.
> >>
> >>Dave - Seems like I have seen some updates to DXLAB recently. Could
those be the cause? Any suggestions?
> >>
> >>>>>There has not been a recent update of WinWarbler.
> >>
> >>>>>The usual cause of this is a Windows Update that scrambles your
soundcard settings so that WinWarbler doesn't see any signals, but first
verify that audio output from your K3 is present at your soundcard inputs.
> >>
> >> 73,
> >>
> >> Dave, AA6YQ
> >>
> >
>
>
>
>
>

Alan Swinger

Thanks to all for the help with this "sudden" no RTTY/Dig receive problem. The cause appears to have been a Virus in a Root file that was found and removed w/ Malwarebytes by the Dell Tech Concierge techs who I use for computer maintenance.

Merry Christmas,

Alan K9MBQ