Topics

SmartSDR V2 and DXLabs on remote client

Steve McMullin

I am looking for a setup guide to configure DXLabs (Commander) to run on a client computer using the new V2 remote SmartSDR software?

John K3MA

Ron Rosson

I am assuming that you are referring to Flex Radio Smart Connect. If so you will need to ensure that SmartCAT and SmartSDR are logged into your Smart Connect account. Once that is working properly you configure the DXLab suite as if the radio is local. Keep in mind any modes with the Flex that require DAX will not work since DAX does not test support Smart Connect.

Hope this helps.

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron
kf5jra at oneinsane dot org‌

On Dec 18, 2017, at 5:57 AM, runner57us@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

I am looking for a setup guide to configure DXLabs (Commander) to run on a client computer using the new V2 remote SmartSDR software?

John K3MA

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:57 AM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: [dxlab] SmartSDR V2 and DXLabs on remote client

Step-by-step instructions for configuring Commander for use with Flex-6000 Series Transceivers is here:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature>

I don't know what "the new V2 remote SmartSDR software" is or does, and thus have not asserted that it's supported. There are no reported but uncorrected defects involving Commander support for Flex-6000 radios.

Dave, AA6YQ

Steve McMullin

Dave

I have tried different options to get it to work with the SmartSDR V2 - Smartlink and cannot get it to recognize the remote Flex transceiver.

V2 software was released by Flex about 6 months ago.  In addition to other enhancement and fixes it primarily allows Flex owners to operate the Flex 6XXX series tranceivers remotely over the internet without the need for any other software like remote desktops or VPN's.  The SmartSDR software looks and operates the same regardless of the connection being local on your LAN or remote from across the globe using the WAN.  Most Flex users have waited a long time for this functionality and have upgraded the SmartSDR software as a result.

IF you would like additional information and someone to test any beta versions I would be glad to assist.  You can contact me via my email and then if need we can speak live over the telphone.

John K3MA

Ron Rosson

John,

If you have a working SmartLink configuration when being remote from your 6000 series you should be able to have DXlabs working. Keep in mind without DAX being a part of SmartLink you will be limited to Phone and CW (only CWX possibly).

With SmartCAT connected via SmartLink you are presented with your CAT ports, So it should be as simple as configuring Commander for those ports you have configured. 

I have tested this configuration utilizing my Dad’s (N6XT) 6500 in Southern California with me being in Northern Colorado. Please feel free to drop me a line off-list for details.

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron

On Dec 19, 2017, at 7:07 AM, runner57us@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

Dave

I have tried different options to get it to work with the SmartSDR V2 - Smartlink and cannot get it to recognize the remote Flex transceiver.

V2 software was released by Flex about 6 months ago.  In addition to other enhancement and fixes it primarily allows Flex owners to operate the Flex 6XXX series tranceivers remotely over the internet without the need for any other software like remote desktops or VPN's.  The SmartSDR software looks and operates the same regardless of the connection being local on your LAN or remote from across the globe using the WAN.  Most Flex users have waited a long time for this functionality and have upgraded the SmartSDR software as a result.

IF you would like additional information and someone to test any beta versions I would be glad to assist.  You can contact me via my email and then if need we can speak live over the telphone.

John K3MA

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: [dxlab] SmartSDR V2 and DXLabs on remote client

If you have a working SmartLink configuration when being remote from your 6000 series you should be able to have DXlabs working. Keep in mind without DAX being a part of SmartLink you will be limited to Phone and CW (only CWX possibly).

With SmartCAT connected via SmartLink you are presented with your CAT ports, So it should be as simple as configuring Commander for those ports you have configured.

I have tested this configuration utilizing my Dad’s (N6XT) 6500 in Southern California with me being in Northern Colorado. Please feel free to drop me a line off-list for details.

Thanks for the testing and report, Ron!
John, step-by-step instructions are here:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature>

Dave, AA6YQ

Steve McMullin

Dave

The connection to a remote Flex does not work when using your setup instructions with SmartSDR V2 and SmartLink.  I suspect because it is not on the same network and it is not getting any connection information from the Smartlink connection service.  Hence it has no way of finding the radio.  Of course this is only my guess.

Ron
Using the CAT port works but only if I setup the radio as a KENWOOD not when setup as SDR-6XXX.
I do not know if the protocols and the all the function are exactly duplicated between the KENWOOD and SDR-6XXX CAT command set.
Are you using the the KENWOOD or SDR-6XXX on the setup that you tested?

Regards, John K3MA

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:56 AM
Subject: [dxlab] Re: SmartSDR V2 and DXLabs on remote client

The connection to a remote Flex does not work when using your setup instructions with SmartSDR V2 and SmartLink. I suspect because it is not on the same network and it is not getting any connection information from the Smartlink connection service. Hence it has no way of finding the radio. Of course this is only my guess.

Commander will be able to "find" your radio if you specify the correct "IP Address" and "IP Port" in the "Radio Selection" panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window. This assumes that your network is properly configured to allow remote access.
Ron KF5JRA has already reported success with remote access.

Dave, AA6YQ

Ron Rosson

I stand corrected by John (K3MA). With all of the time I spent with N6XT’s 6500 I must have got my notes/memories crossed.  

John (K3MA), I am sorry for the false hope and leading you down this rabbit hole.

Dave (AA6YQ), I like to apologize to you and the list for the mis-information about this as well, but this would be one more thing to add to the list of things to ask Flex if this is something that is in the API that you could access and enhance commander with.

Again to all, my sincere apologies.

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron

On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:12 AM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

>>>AA6YQ comments below

To: dxlab@...

The connection to a remote Flex does not work when using your setup instructions with SmartSDR V2 and SmartLink. I suspect because it is not on the same network and it is not getting any connection information from the Smartlink connection service. Hence it has no way of finding the radio. Of course this is only my guess.

>>>Commander will be able to "find" your radio if you specify the correct "IP Address" and "IP Port" in the "Radio Selection" panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window. This assumes that your network is properly configured to allow remote access.

>>>Ron KF5JRA has already reported success with remote access.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

1. Properly configured, Commander can connect to a Flex Signature radio across a network; I just reconfirmed that.

2. Commander has long been able to connect to my 6500 from across the network. What does SmartLink do, exactly? Where is its documentation?

Dave, AA6YQ

Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Re: SmartSDR V2 and DXLabs on remote client

I stand corrected by John (K3MA). With all of the time I spent with N6XT’s 6500 I must have got my notes/memories crossed.

John (K3MA), I am sorry for the false hope and leading you down this rabbit hole.

Dave (AA6YQ), I like to apologize to you and the list for the mis-information about this as well, but this would be one more thing to add to the list of things to ask Flex if this is something that is in the API that you could access and enhance commander with.

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron

On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:12 AM, 'Dave AA6YQ' @AA6YQ [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

>>>AA6YQ comments below

>>>Commander will be able to "find" your radio if you specify the correct "IP Address" and "IP Port" in the "Radio Selection" panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window. This assumes that your network is properly configured to allow remote access.

Dave, AA6YQ

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Ron Rosson

Dave,

With the release of SmartSDR 2.x Flex added the capability to connect to a 6000 series remotely (Not on the same network) using a cloud service. This basically allows an operator either with a laptop or a maestro and a decent internet connection to allow the operator to use his home QTH 6000 series as if he was in his home. There are a couple of downsides:
  • Only the SmartSDR and SmartCAT applications supports SmartLink.
  • No digital modes with SmartLink because DAX not yet have the support for SmartLink built-in.
  • CW. I think you are limited to CWX in the SmartSDR application.
    • So no Skimmers
    • Not sure if Winkeyer would work.

Hope this helps.

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron

On Dec 21, 2017, at 12:37 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

1. Properly configured, Commander can connect to a Flex Signature radio across a network; I just reconfirmed that.

2. Commander has long been able to connect to my 6500 from across the network. What does SmartLink do, exactly? Where is its documentation?

Dave, AA6YQ

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron

On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:12 AM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

>>>AA6YQ comments below

Dave, AA6YQ

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>  

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:01 PM

With the release of SmartSDR 2.x Flex added the capability to connect to a 6000 series remotely (Not on the same network) using a cloud service. This basically allows an operator either with a laptop or a maestro and a decent internet connection to allow the operator to use his home QTH 6000 series as if he was in his home. There are a couple of downsides:

* Only the SmartSDR and SmartCAT applications supports SmartLink.
* No digital modes with SmartLink because DAX not yet have the support for SmartLink built-in.
* CW. I think you are limited to CWX in the SmartSDR application.

* So no Skimmers
* Not sure if Winkeyer would work.

Thanks Ron. If I ever find the documentation, I will be able to assess what development work is required, and then decide whether supporting SmartLink is sufficiently valuable to implement.

Dave, AA6YQ

Al Groff

Dave,

Smartlink allows connecting to the radio  from non- LAN locations ( Starbucks, etc.) with out the use of a VPN.. It includes the SSDR Client and CAT CLient.. see section 7 of the user guide  http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-v1-pdf/

AL, K0VM

On 12/21/2017 1:37 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] wrote:

Dave, AA6YQ

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron

On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:12 AM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] wrote:

>>>AA6YQ comments below

Dave, AA6YQ

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comment below
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:47 PM

Smartlink allows connecting to the radio from non- LAN locations ( Starbucks, etc.) with out the use of a VPN.. It includes the SSDR Client and CAT CLient.. see section 7 of the user guide http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-v1-pdf/

Thanks, Al. That explains what Smartlink is, but provides no information about how an application like Commander, which interacts with a Flex Signature via the Flex API, would connect with a Flex Signature via SmartLink.

Dave, AA6YQ

Steve McMullin

Dave AA6YQ

As a user I do not have any access or knowledge of such a document.  How do we get you in touch with Flex to get what you need?

I could certainly run a Teamviewer session with you to visually show you what happens from a user perspective but I do not think that will answer any of the technical needs.

Regards, John K3MA

Steve McMullin

I have posted your question on the Flex Community Forum in hopes that one of the developer, Flex employees or Alpha/Beta testers has the answer.

John K3MA

Dave AA6YQ

I have already posed the question to Eric KE5DTO at Flex, who has been very responsive to past questions.

Dave, AA^YQ

Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:46 PM

Dave AA6YQ

As a user I do not have any access or knowledge of such a document. How do we get you in touch with Flex to get what you need?

I could certainly run a Teamviewer session with you to visually show you what happens from a user perspective but I do not think that will answer any of the technical needs.

Regards, John K3MA

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Dave AA6YQ

The document Eric sent me in response does not contain the information required to implement support for SmartLink; the expectation is that the reader will extract the necessary information from Flex source code.

I'll consider supporting SmartLink when Flex provides documentation that explains how it works, and includes all the necessary details.

Dave, AA6YQ

Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:58 PM
To: 'dxlab@...'
Subject: RE: [dxlab] Re: SmartSDR V2 and DXLabs on remote client

I have already posed the question to Eric KE5DTO at Flex, who has been very responsive to past questions.

Dave, AA^YQ

Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:46 PM

Dave AA6YQ

As a user I do not have any access or knowledge of such a document. How do we get you in touch with Flex to get what you need?

Regards, John K3MA

lbenoit@...

FYI, I thought it might be useful to update this thread for Flex 6000 series owners operating their station remotely with SmartLink.
If this information appears elsewhere on this site (searched but could not find), my apology for redundancy. 

DX Commander can connect remotely via the Internet to your Flex 6000 series transceiver via port forwarding. Your radio must have a fixed IP address on the LAN and your router configured to forward port 4992 to the radio's IP address.  In Commander Config (Radio Selection) set the IP address to your router's external address and port number to 4992. 

This enables full use of the DX Lab suite on your remote PC/laptop and also enables full functionality of other apps that have communications links to DX Lab, such as PSTRotatorAZ.  I use DX Labs with other remote control apps employing RS-232 interfaces in combination with a serial to Ethernet converter (USR N540 four-port) to provide remote control for a rotor, amp and SteppIR antenna, eliminating the need for a PC running in the shack. No VPN and no remote desktop required. 

Larry KB1VFU

Dave AA6YQ

The content from Larry's post below is now available via

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature>

Thanks, Larry!

Dave, AA6YQ

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of lbenoit@...
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:57 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] SmartSDR V2 and DXLabs on remote client

FYI, I thought it might be useful to update this thread for Flex 6000 series owners operating their station remotely with SmartLink.
If this information appears elsewhere on this site (searched but could not find), my apology for redundancy.

DX Commander can connect remotely via the Internet to your Flex 6000 series transceiver via port forwarding. Your radio must have a fixed IP address on the LAN and your router configured to forward port 4992 to the radio's IP address. In Commander Config (Radio Selection) set the IP address to your router's external address and port number to 4992.

This enables full use of the DX Lab suite on your remote PC/laptop and also enables full functionality of other apps that have communications links to DX Lab, such as PSTRotatorAZ. I use DX Labs with other remote control apps employing RS-232 interfaces in combination with a serial to Ethernet converter (USR N540 four-port) to provide remote control for a rotor, amp and SteppIR antenna, eliminating the need for a PC running in the shack. No VPN and no remote desktop required.

Larry KB1VFU