Sorta OT: SSD upgrade

Chuck, WS1L

I know it’s somewhat off-topic, but the collective experience here has helped me out many times.

I am running my radio software on an off-lease Lenovo small form factor desktop. It is an i5 and runs DXLabs but is a little slow.

After a W10 update broke the on-board video that was running multiple monitors I considered replacing it but instead I installed a new video card and it is running three monitors again.

I’m considering adding a SSD to it. I have a 240 GB SSD that was used in a laptop but I see newer EVO ones that might be a better choice.

What have folks here done?  Clone the hard drive and swap the SSD in, or add the SSD as a second drive and run DXLabs off of the SSD, leaving W10 on the original?

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Chuck Chandler
chandlerusm@...

Gilbert Baron W0MN

In most cases the SSD does not do that much. Boot time and App load times will drop and maybe drop dramatically but execution of the program will often see little or no improvement.

SSD choice depends on what interface you have. If you do not have a fast interface then the improvement may not be worth the cost.

I know it’s somewhat off-topic, but the collective experience here has helped me out many times.

I am running my radio software on an off-lease Lenovo small form factor desktop. It is an i5 and runs DXLabs but is a little slow.

After a W10 update broke the on-board video that was running multiple monitors I considered replacing it but instead I installed a new video card and it is running three monitors again.

I’m considering adding a SSD to it. I have a 240 GB SSD that was used in a laptop but I see newer EVO ones that might be a better choice.

What have folks here done?  Clone the hard drive and swap the SSD in, or add the SSD as a second drive and run DXLabs off of the SSD, leaving W10 on the original?

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Chuck Chandler

Floyd Sense

I have an I7 processor running Win 10 64 bit and have been using a 240 GB SSD for quite a while.  The system and all programs run off of the SSD and I have 1 TB hard drive where most data is stored.  Can't say that the SSD sped up DXLab in particular, but the system is very fast overall.  The initial install was done by cloning the  old system hard drive to the SSD as you mentioned.  Backup is done by cloning the SSD to an external hard drive on a USB3 port.  If the SSD fails, I can just swap in the hard drive and be back in business in minutes.

73, Floyd - K8AC

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
I know it's somewhat off-topic, but the collective experience here has helped me out many times.

I am running my radio software on an off-lease Lenovo small form factor desktop. It is an i5 and runs DXLabs but is a little slow.

After a W10 update broke the on-board video that was running multiple monitors I considered replacing it but instead I installed a
new video card and it is running three monitors again.

I'm considering adding a SSD to it. I have a 240 GB SSD that was used in a laptop but I see newer EVO ones that might be a better
choice.

What have folks here done? Clone the hard drive and swap the SSD in, or add the SSD as a second drive and run DXLabs off of the
SSD, leaving W10 on the original?

You want Windows 10 and its paging file on your SSD, so I'd suggest cloning the hard drive and replacing it with the SSD. Then
setup the hard drive as D: for large non-critical files (e.g. pictures)

Larry Knain

I read something the other day that suggested that SSDs might have a limited life in high write situations which seems a bit odd but if true would suggest that the page file would not be a good candidate for an SSD. How limited was not specified. Anyone know the facts?

73, Larry W6NWS

On 12/16/2017 3:30 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] wrote:
�

>>>AA6YQ comments below

I know it's somewhat off-topic, but the collective experience here has helped me out many times.

I am running my radio software on an off-lease Lenovo small form factor desktop. It is an i5 and runs DXLabs but is a little slow.

After a W10 update broke the on-board video that was running multiple monitors I considered replacing it but instead I installed a
new video card and it is running three monitors again.

I'm considering adding a SSD to it. I have a 240 GB SSD that was used in a laptop but I see newer EVO ones that might be a better
choice.

What have folks here done? Clone the hard drive and swap the SSD in, or add the SSD as a second drive and run DXLabs off of the
SSD, leaving W10 on the original?

>>>You want Windows 10 and its paging file on your SSD, so I'd suggest cloning the hard drive and replacing it with the SSD. Then
setup the hard drive as D: for large non-critical files (e.g. pictures)

Buck

SSDs have gotten inexpensive so I moved everything to a 1TB SSD with a 2TB spinner as a Windows backup. Boot up is faster. I am not sure execution is any faster on my i7 machine. I wasn't as concerned about speed as reliability. The SSD has no moving parts and should be more reliable over time.

DxLab is auto backed up on shutdown and stored on and offsite with DropBox. I am determined *NOT* to lose my logbook. Go to DxKeeper Configuration, select the General tab and look for "Backup log on shutdown" in the Options section. Under the Log Tab point to the DropBox folder (after setting up a DropBox account).

I highly recommend the free version of Macrium to clone your old drive. The version of Acronis that shipped with my SSD did not work. Wasted a lot of time fooling with it to no avail.

k4ia, Buck
K3# 101
Honor Roll 8B DXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 12/16/2017 2:03 PM, Chuck Chandler chandlerusm@gmail.com [dxlab] wrote:
I know it�s somewhat off-topic, but the collective experience here has helped me out many times.
I am running my radio software on an off-lease Lenovo small form factor desktop. It is an i5 and runs DXLabs but is a little slow.
After a W10 update broke the on-board video that was running multiple monitors I considered replacing it but instead I installed a new video card and it is running three monitors again.
I�m considering adding a SSD to it. I have a 240 GB SSD that was used in a laptop but I see newer EVO ones that might be a better choice.
What have folks here done? �Clone the hard drive and swap the SSD in, or add the SSD as a second drive and run DXLabs off of the SSD, leaving W10 on the original?
73 de Chuck, WS1L
Chuck Chandler
chandlerusm@gmail.com

Bill Conkling

I cloned it. Works well.

...nr4c. bill

On Dec 16, 2017, at 2:03 PM, Chuck Chandler chandlerusm@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

I know it’s somewhat off-topic, but the collective experience here has helped me out many times.

I am running my radio software on an off-lease Lenovo small form factor desktop. It is an i5 and runs DXLabs but is a little slow.

After a W10 update broke the on-board video that was running multiple monitors I considered replacing it but instead I installed a new video card and it is running three monitors again.

I’m considering adding a SSD to it. I have a 240 GB SSD that was used in a laptop but I see newer EVO ones that might be a better choice.

What have folks here done?  Clone the hard drive and swap the SSD in, or add the SSD as a second drive and run DXLabs off of the SSD, leaving W10 on the original?

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Chuck Chandler

KA9JAC

I suspect you are seeing a slow down from the accumulation of "stuff" running in the back ground.
if this was a machine that had a previous version and was upgraded, that also slows things.
Although you may see some improvement with a ssd drive,
That being said, I would not recommend cloning a drive that has been in use for an extended period of time.
It is better to start with a clean install.
Most likely that is where you will see a big improvement.

When the update "broke" your video, you should have tried to roll back the driver to the previous version
I had that happen on a machine and the rollback did the trick.

Good luck
Bob, KA9JAC