Topics

DXLab and Linux Wine

Jerald Volpe
 

This has probably been covered before, but then again WINE is evolving too.


Does anyone have successful experience running DXLab applications in Linux using WINE?


Jerry, KG6TT

Dave AA6YQ
 

AA6YQ comments below
From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 11:11 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: [dxlab] DXLab and Linux Wine

This has probably been covered before, but then again WINE is evolving too
Does anyone have successful experience running DXLab applications in Linux using WINE?

No one has ever reported success here running DXLab on Linux using WINE. The recommended techniques for running DXLab on Linux are here:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DXLabLinux>

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Stan Gammons <s_gammons@...>
 

The DXLab suite will not work with WINE.  If you want to run it on Linux, the only option is to run it in a windows VM. I think most everyone runs it in a WinXP, or Win7 VirtualBox VM.  I run it on Kubuntu in a win7 VM.  It works fine that way.  Just be aware that if you want to run things like fldigi and WSJT-X on Linux and DXLabs in the windows VM, you may not be able to use something like JTAlert.  I've tinkered with it a little, but so far I've been unable to make it work.

As I've said before, it would be really nice if more of the folks that wrote ham radio software for windows would make it cross platform so it would run on windows, Linux and OS-X.  But, that's not going to happen.  At least we have fldigi and WSJT-X for Linux and OS-X.

Good luck.


73

Stan
KM4HQE

On 10/16/2017 10:11 PM, kg6tt@... [dxlab] wrote:
 

This has probably been covered before, but then again WINE is evolving too.


Does anyone have successful experience running DXLab applications in Linux using WINE?


Jerry, KG6TT




neil_zampella
 

The good news is that whenever Laurie gets time to finish it, he has said that the next version of JT-Alert will be cross-platform.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Stan Gammons <s_gammons@...>
 

That will be good. I don't know of anything that's quite like DXLabs though. CQRLog does some of the same stuff, but it's not quite the same.


73

Stan
KM4HQE


On October 17, 2017 4:24:49 AM CDT, "neilz@... [dxlab]" wrote:
 

The good news is that whenever Laurie gets time to finish it, he has said that the next version of JT-Alert will be cross-platform.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Jerald Volpe
 

Thanks, very good information. Gives me a research path.

I haven't used Linux since I retired. I had entire server farms running Linux and BSD and a number of workstations, but that was in a professional environment. I guess it was the lack of Linux ham radio software that kept me from using Linux for my hobby. I often thought about writing software for the hobby, but life kept getting in the way. Anyway, I am getting increasingly frustrated with Microsoft products... mainly their forced updates and the mischief they can cause.

I find that I am not 'sampling' so many programs these days. Pretty much running a select few. I'd already have switched over to a Linux distro but my SSD isn't large enough for two environments.

I do, however, see a time coming when there will be a lot more Linux program development. I have friends that run their stations using WINE already.

It was good to hear your success with DXLab in a VM environment. Now I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use a microHam Keyer II under Linux... a big piece of the puzzle here.

Thanks again.
Jerry, KG6TT

Dave AA6YQ
 

>>>AA6YQ comments below

 

From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:12 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: Re: [dxlab] DXLab and Linux Wine

 

Anyway, I am getting increasingly frustrated with Microsoft products... mainly their forced updates and the mischief they can cause.

 

>>>See

 

<https://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-ways-to-control-or-stop-windows-10-updates.html>

 

     73,

 

           Dave, AA6YQ

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Now I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use a microHam Keyer II under Linux... a big piece of the puzzle here.
See: http://mhuxd.dj5qv.de/

Not supported by microHAM.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 10/17/2017 2:11 PM, @KG6TT [dxlab] wrote:
Thanks, very good information. Gives me a research path.
I haven't used Linux since I retired. I had entire server farms running Linux and BSD and a number of workstations, but that was in a professional environment. I guess it was the lack of Linux ham radio software that kept me from using Linux for my hobby. I often thought about writing software for the hobby, but life kept getting in the way. Anyway, I am getting increasingly frustrated with Microsoft products... mainly their forced updates and the mischief they can cause.
I find that I am not 'sampling' so many programs these days. Pretty much running a select few. I'd already have switched over to a Linux distro but my SSD isn't large enough for two environments.
I do, however, see a time coming when there will be a lot more Linux program development. I have friends that run their stations using WINE already.
It was good to hear your success with DXLab in a VM environment. Now I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use a microHam Keyer II under Linux... a big piece of the puzzle here.
Thanks again.
Jerry, KG6TT

Roy Jackson
 

I tried this a couple of years ago with a MicroKeyer II. It actually worked rather well, even for someone who is not an IT professional. I just never settled on a Linux ham radio program that I liked. CQRLog is not bad. Probably if I hadn't tried several Windows based ham radio packages (DXLab Suite, HRD, Log4OM, EQFLog, LOGic, etc.) I would have been happy with CQRLog. It just didn't do everything that the Windows packages were doing . . . at least not as far as I could tell. When I had a shack I kept a Windows box running just for ham radio software. Pretty much everything else was done on the Linux box. Now that I am HOA challenged, I just run a Linux computer, but I do keep the dual-boot option available, just in case. 73.

Roy Jackson KW4G Naples, Florida USA

On 10/17/2017 02:26 PM, 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [dxlab] wrote:
 


> Now I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use a microHam
> Keyer II under Linux... a big piece of the puzzle here.

See: http://mhuxd.dj5qv.de/

Not supported by microHAM.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 10/17/2017 2:11 PM, kg6tt@... [dxlab] wrote:
> Thanks, very good information. Gives me a research path.
>
> I haven't used Linux since I retired. I had entire server farms running Linux and BSD and a number of workstations, but that was in a professional environment. I guess it was the lack of Linux ham radio software that kept me from using Linux for my hobby. I often thought about writing software for the hobby, but life kept getting in the way. Anyway, I am getting increasingly frustrated with Microsoft products... mainly their forced updates and the mischief they can cause.
>
> I find that I am not 'sampling' so many programs these days. Pretty much running a select few. I'd already have switched over to a Linux distro but my SSD isn't large enough for two environments.
>
> I do, however, see a time coming when there will be a lot more Linux program development. I have friends that run their stations using WINE already.
>
> It was good to hear your success with DXLab in a VM environment. Now I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use a microHam Keyer II under Linux... a big piece of the puzzle here.
>
> Thanks again.
> Jerry, KG6TT
>