Kenwood TS-850 and Commander settings

Ed Douglass

Would someone tell me the correct settings so that my Kenwood TS-850 and Commander will “communicate” with each other?  Using COM2 of a dual COM port card in a PCI slot.  Windows Device Manager says the drivers are up to date and the device is working.  Using a W1GEE TTL device made for the TS-850 that connects between COM2 and the ACC1 port of the TS-850.  This equipment has worked in the past.  Got a better motherboard.  Windows 10 fully updated.  Haven’t found the right permutations and combinations in the Commander Config settings to make  the Commander and the TS-850 “talk” to each other.  (Using COM3 and another W1GEE device for PTT.)  Please help!  Ed

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Anthony W. DePrato

Settings 8 N 2  4800
sometimes you can get them to work with a baud rate of 9600 but go to commander config and select kenwood slow.
73 Tony wa4jqs

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

Would someone tell me the correct settings so that my Kenwood TS-850 and Commander will “communicate� with each other?  Using COM2 of a dual COM port card in a PCI slot.  Windows Device Manager says the drivers are up to date and the device is working.  Using a W1GEE TTL device made for the TS-850 that connects between COM2 and the ACC1 port of the TS-850.  This equipment has worked in the past.  Got a better motherboard.  Windows 10 fully updated.  Haven’t found the right permutations and combinations in the Commander Config settings to make  the Commander and the TS-850 “talk� to each other.  (Using COM3 and another W1GEE device for PTT.)  Please help!  Ed

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Anthony W.DePrato WA4JQS since 1962
CQ DX HALL OF FAME  # 35
DXCC HONOR ROLL
DXPEDITION OF THE YEAR 1992 VP8SSI
DXPEDITION OF THE YEAR 1993/1994 3Y0PI
VP8SSI 3Y0PI VP8BZL V31SS ZD8JQS
 WA4JQS/ZS1 WA4JQS/KC4 WA4JQS/4K1

ve3ki

You also need to set RTS on.  See <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood>.

73,
Rich VE3KI

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Ports tab: Primary CAT Serial Port: COM2, 4800, 8, N, 2, DTR On, RTS On

General Tab: Kenwood, Interrogation checked, 200 ms Command interval, Scan well = 1; Ignore Mousewheel, Use multiple monitors and Log debugging info are checked

VFO A: continues to read 000,000.00. Clicking PTT TX does nothing; changing the TS-850 frequency or mode is not reflected in Commander readout; changing anything on the TS-850 is not reflected in Commander window.

No joy yet.

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Dwight Bosselman

dtr on - not

log debug - not

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Dwight:

DTR:  off
log debugging info: not checked

Still no joy.

Gotta go play with the Peninsula Symphonic Band.  Concert in Sister Bay.

Thanks for the help so far.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 4:58 PM, dgb ns9i@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

dtr on - not

log debug - not

On 7/23/2017 4:42 PM, Ed Douglass aa9ozham@... [dxlab] wrote:

Ports tab: Primary CAT Serial Port: COM2, 4800, 8, N, 2, DTR On, RTS On

General Tab: Kenwood, Interrogation checked, 200 ms Command interval, Scan well = 1; Ignore Mousewheel, Use multiple monitors and Log debugging info are checked

VFO A: continues to read 000,000.00. Clicking PTT TX does nothing; changing the TS-850 frequency or mode is not reflected in Commander readout; changing anything on the TS-850 is not reflected in Commander window.

No joy yet.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

You also need to set RTS on.  See dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood>.

73,
Rich VE3KI

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Concert just cancelled because of high winds in Sister Bay.  Should have some time this evening to work on my problem.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Ed Douglass <aa9ozham@...> wrote:
[...]

You also need to set RTS on.  See abwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood>.

73,
Rich VE3KI

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

The IF-232C interface being used is the LCU3-K made by W1GEE.  Made for Kenwood radios.  Software must assert RTS for the TTL interface to receive power.  No other instructions.  Plug 'n play in terms of hardware.  It's the software settings that have to be right for Commander and the TS-850 to "talk".

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Bob Main

May be that Windows 10 assigned a different COM port number than 2.  I have a USB to COM port adapter and when I installed a new driver the ports changed.  So might want to check that.

73, Bob KB4CL

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Bob.  Just did check the port number assignments and Device Manager tells me that this dual serial port card (now ASIX MCS9835) is assigned as ports 2 and 3.  In Device Manager, set the parameters to 4800, 8, None, 2 and no flow control.  The two ports were set at 9600.  Also re-updated the ASIX driver for this card.  No changes observed.

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

I would unplug both from the PC, watching device driver, then plug the 850 in to see what port it shows up on DD.

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Make sure

- Commander's interrogation is enabled, with an interval of 200 ms

- the serial port's RTS is set to "ON"

- the radio and Commander are set to the same baud rate

- you're using the correct "variety" of serial cable (straight-through vs. null modem)

- there are no bent pins

Otherwise, there's a hardware problem.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Ed Douglass <aa9ozham@gmail.com> wrote:
Dwight:

DTR: off
log debugging info: not checked
Still no joy.
Gotta go play with the Peninsula Symphonic Band. Concert in Sister Bay.
Thanks for the help so far.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 4:58 PM, dgb ns9i@bayland.net [dxlab] <dxlab@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

dtr on - not
log debug - not

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

try setting the port to  4800 baud

Anthony W.DePrato WA4JQS since 1962
CQ DX HALL OF FAME  # 35
DXCC HONOR ROLL
DXPEDITION OF THE YEAR 1992 VP8SSI
DXPEDITION OF THE YEAR 1993/1994 3Y0PI
VP8SSI 3Y0PI VP8BZL V31SS ZD8JQS
 WA4JQS/ZS1 WA4JQS/KC4 WA4JQS/4K1

Ed Douglass

Thanks, Dave.  All of your setting suggestions are what I have been using.  The serial cable is not the null modem type. There are no bent pins.

The dual serial port is old.  The manufacturer was NetMos Technology.  In November 2012, NetMos was acquired by MosChip Semiconductor.  The driver number was NM9835S.  It could the 98 in the number is a reference to Windows 98? That old??  In February of this year, the company that is responsible and supplies drivers became ASIX Electronics.  Their driver number, MCS9835, is version 2.0.4.0  It is digitally signed by Microsoft Windows Compatibility Publisher.

Here's a thought.  This card was working in Windows 7.  I think it has not worked since I changed the motherboard and began using Windows 10, 64 bit.  Could it be that this old dual port card can no longer make it in the W10 environment?  This would fit your suspicion that I have a hardware problem and not a DXLab software issue.

At 04:57 PM 7/23/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Antonio,  Have tried both 4800 and 9600 with both 1 and 2 stop bits.  None of these combinations work.  Thanks for the suggestion.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:16 PM, 'Anthony W. DePrato' wa4jqs@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

try setting the port to  4800 baud

Anthony W.DePrato WA4JQS since 1962
CQ DX HALL OF FAME  # 35
DXCC HONOR ROLL
DXPEDITION OF THE YEAR 1992 VP8SSI
DXPEDITION OF THE YEAR 1993/1994 3Y0PI
VP8SSI 3Y0PI VP8BZL V31SS ZD8JQS
 WA4JQS/ZS1 WA4JQS/KC4 WA4JQS/4K1

Dave AA6YQ

>>>AA6YQ comments below

Thanks, Dave.  All of your setting suggestions are what I have been using.  The serial cable is not the null modem type. There are no bent pins.

The dual serial port is old.  The manufacturer was NetMos Technology.  In November 2012, NetMos was acquired by MosChip Semiconductor.  The driver number was NM9835S.  It could the 98 in the number is a reference to Windows 98? That old??  In February of this year, the company that is responsible and supplies drivers became ASIX Electronics.  Their driver number, MCS9835, is version 2.0.4.0  It is digitally signed by Microsoft Windows Compatibility Publisher.

Here's a thought.  This card was working in Windows 7.  I think it has not worked since I changed the motherboard and began using Windows 10, 64 bit.  Could it be that this old dual port card can no longer make it in the W10 environment?  This would fit your suspicion that I have a hardware problem and not a DXLab software issue.

>>>Since there are no reported but uncorrected defects in Commander, and since many ops successfully use Commander with Kenwood radios every day, it is unlikely that your situation is the result of a defect in Commander.

>>>If you have an oscilloscope, monitor the radio’s CAT port’s TX data pin to see if there’s any response to the CAT commands being sent by Commander.

Ed Douglass

Thanks for your continuing interest, Dave.

No scope here so I can't follow your suggestion.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

>>>AA6YQ comments below

Thanks, Dave.  All of your setting suggestions are what I have been using.  The serial cable is not the null modem type. There are no bent pins.

The dual serial port is old.  The manufacturer was NetMos Technology.  In November 2012, NetMos was acquired by MosChip Semiconductor.  The driver number was NM9835S.  It could the 98 in the number is a reference to Windows 98? That old??  In February of this year, the company that is responsible and supplies drivers became ASIX Electronics.  Their driver number, MCS9835, is version 2.0.4.0  It is digitally signed by Microsoft Windows Compatibility Publisher.

Here's a thought.  This card was working in Windows 7.  I think it has not worked since I changed the motherboard and began using Windows 10, 64 bit.  Could it be that this old dual port card can no longer make it in the W10 environment?  This would fit your suspicion that I have a hardware problem and not a DXLab software issue.

>>>Since there are no reported but uncorrected defects in Commander, and since many ops successfully use Commander with Kenwood radios every day, it is unlikely that your situation is the result of a defect in Commander.

>>>If you have an oscilloscope, monitor the radio’s CAT port’s TX data pin to see if there’s any response to the CAT commands being sent by Commander.

Ed Douglass

Dave, I think you are right.  I have a hardware problem, not a problem with DXLab.

One problem is my old dual port serial PCI card.  It didn't like the Windows 10 environment.  I have replaced it with a dual port PCIe card and it and a driver are getting along with Windows 10 just fine.

Another likely problem may be that the W1GEE LCU3-K TTL level converter I have been using may have died.  I have no way to test it.  The data output of a Kenwood T-850 has to be converted to something a computer can work with.

The DXLab Wiki pages about interfacing Kenwood radios to Commander and the other relevant DXLab apps is not specific enough for me and my TS-850SAT, both of which are old!   Who makes or has a cable that will go from the 6-pin DIN ACC1 socket on the TS-850, do the conversion, and deliver the result to either a DB9 serial or USB plug?  What are the proper CAT settings for the TS-850 in Commander?

My ultimate hardware problem is the Kenwood TS-850 that was not designed to work into a computer running software like the DXLab Suites.  As a kind friend said to me this morning:  get a radio that belongs to this century and you won't be having interfacing problems!

Help from you and/or the DXLab users would be appreciated very much.

Ed, AA9OZ (ex 7P8DX)

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

>>>AA6YQ comments below

Thanks, Dave.  All of your setting suggestions are what I have been using.  The serial cable is not the null modem type. There are no bent pins.

The dual serial port is old.  The manufacturer was NetMos Technology.  In November 2012, NetMos was acquired by MosChip Semiconductor.  The driver number was NM9835S.  It could the 98 in the number is a reference to Windows 98? That old??  In February of this year, the company that is responsible and supplies drivers became ASIX Electronics.  Their driver number, MCS9835, is version 2.0.4.0  It is digitally signed by Microsoft Windows Compatibility Publisher.

Here's a thought.  This card was working in Windows 7.  I think it has not worked since I changed the motherboard and began using Windows 10, 64 bit.  Could it be that this old dual port card can no longer make it in the W10 environment?  This would fit your suspicion that I have a hardware problem and not a DXLab software issue.

>>>Since there are no reported but uncorrected defects in Commander, and since many ops successfully use Commander with Kenwood radios every day, it is unlikely that your situation is the result of a defect in Commander.

>>>If you have an oscilloscope, monitor the radio’s CAT port’s TX data pin to see if there’s any response to the CAT commands being sent by Commander.

AA6YQ comments below
Dave, I think you are right. I have a hardware problem, not a problem with DXLab.

One problem is my old dual port serial PCI card. It didn't like the Windows 10 environment. I have replaced it with a dual port PCIe card and it and a driver are getting along with Windows 10 just fine.

Another likely problem may be that the W1GEE LCU3-K TTL level converter I have been using may have died. I have no way to test it. The data output of a Kenwood T-850 has to be converted to something a computer can work with.

The DXLab Wiki pages about interfacing Kenwood radios to Commander and the other relevant DXLab apps is not specific enough for me and my TS-850SAT, both of which are old! Who makes or has a cable that will go from the 6-pin DIN ACC1 socket on the TS-850, do the conversion, and deliver the result to either a DB9 serial or USB plug?

See
<https://www.piexx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=23&zenid=pt6tqqncngt5tir3rociqq6ei4>

What are the proper CAT settings for the TS-850 in Commander?

The settings are specified here:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood>

Contact Piexx to determine the appropriate baud rate, as this information is not specified in the documentation available online.
My ultimate hardware problem is the Kenwood TS-850 that was not designed to work into a computer running software like the DXLab Suites.

That's not correct. Kenwood offered an interface to enable computer control of your TS-850 -- the IF-232C - but this product is no longer availabl. You can either purchase a used IF-232C, or use a replacement product like that provided by Piexx.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Who makes or has a cable that will go from the 6-pin DIN ACC1 socket
on the TS-850, do the conversion, and deliver the result to either a
DB9 serial or USB plug?
Here is information on rolling your own:

RS-232: <http://www.egloff.eu/index.php/en/la-technique/le-ts850/interface-de-telecommande>

USB: <http://fweb.wallawalla.edu/~frohro//SDR/USB%20Interface/IF-232%20USB%20Replacement.html>

"Commercial" cables can be found on e-Bay (look for "Kenwood RS-232 cables").

What are the proper CAT settings for the TS-850 in Commander?
The serial interface of the TS-850 is fixed at 4800 8N2 per the Kenwood
TS-850 PC (CAT) manual.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@ambersoft.com [dxlab] <