From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:10 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: [dxlab] "Local" Time issue with DXView

While using DXKeeper, Commander and DXView, when I enter a callsign in the Capture window it populates as it should in DXView and looks up previous QSOs in DXKeeper as it should. DXView gives me all the correct info such as beam headings, distance, and so on. The only thing that displays incorrectly is the LOCAL time at the other station.

The time in the title bar of DXView is correct for Zulu, and all times are logged correctly in DXKeeper. It is only the local time for the other station that is one hour lower than the actual time there.

Is this related to Daylight Savings Time or do I possibly have something set wrong? My Windows (10) time is correct and has the correct time zone. DXView is the only place I have ever noticed a discrepancy.

>>>DXView doesn’t know which geographic regions do or don’t employ “summer time”. A concerted effort to locate this information several years ago yielded nothing.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 7:09 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

>>>DXView doesn’t know which geographic regions do or don’t employ “summer time”. A concerted effort to locate this information several years ago yielded nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database

Gilbert Baron W0MN

It would be great if the entire world got rid of this idiocy of summer time or whatever you call it, but that will not happen either. Trying to keep the mish mash of the standard time zones correct is bad enough. It would not bother me if the entire world used UTC but I understand that would take a lot of getting used to.

While using DXKeeper, Commander and DXView, when I enter a callsign in the Capture window it populates as it should in DXView and looks up previous QSOs in DXKeeper as it should. DXView gives me all the correct info such as beam headings, distance, and so on. The only thing that displays incorrectly is the LOCAL time at the other station.

The time in the title bar of DXView is correct for Zulu, and all times are logged correctly in DXKeeper. It is only the local time for the other station that is one hour lower than the actual time there.

Is this related to Daylight Savings Time or do I possibly have something set wrong? My Windows (10) time is correct and has the correct time zone. DXView is the only place I have ever noticed a discrepancy.

>>>DXView doesn’t know which geographic regions do or don’t employ “summer time”. A concerted effort to locate this information several years ago yielded nothing.

Dave Corio

    Thanks, Dave! It really only comes down to the difference between sending "GM" or "GA". Just surprised I hadn't even noticed until lately!
73
Dave - KB3MOW

On 6/20/2017 8:09 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] wrote:

>>>AA6YQ

While using DXKeeper, Commander and DXView, when I enter a callsign in the Capture window it populates as it should in DXView and looks up previous QSOs in DXKeeper as it should. DXView gives me all the correct info such as beam headings, distance, and so on. The only thing that displays incorrectly is the LOCAL time at the other station.

The time in the title bar of DXView is correct for Zulu, and all times are logged correctly in DXKeeper. It is only the local time for the other station that is one hour lower than the actual time there.

Is this related to Daylight Savings Time or do I possibly have something set wrong? My Windows (10) time is correct and has the correct time zone. DXView is the only place I have ever noticed a discrepancy.

>>>DXView doesn’t know which geographic regions do or don’t employ “summer time”. A concerted effort to locate this information several years ago yielded nothing.

+++ AA6YQ comments below

>>>DXView doesn’t know which geographic regions do or don’t employ “summer time”. A concerted effort to locate this information several years ago yielded nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database

+++ If you’d like to construct a “current location-to-DST database” from the information contained in this large set of text files, Peter, I’ll be happy to extend DXView to exploit it.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 8:55 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@ambersoft.com
[dxlab] <dxlab@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

+++ If you’d like to construct a “current location-to-DST database” from the information contained in this large set of text files, Peter, I’ll be happy to extend DXView to exploit it.

A most generous offer but one I must decline. Mostly because, past
Korn shell, I avoid programming. :-)

That said, DXLab users aren't the only ones that would like to see
actual locations mapped to the correct TZ and there is an RFC covering
network distribution of this info: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7808
(fairly new so not sure how much of the proposal has been turned into
working code).

Searching for "tzdist" on this page:
https://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/tz-link.html lead me to
this list (scroll down) of network-based location-to-TZ services:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16086962/how-to-get-a-time-zone-from-a-location-using-latitude-and-longitude-coordinates/16086964

I make no representations or warranties whatsoever, and disclaim all
liability and responsibility for any representation, warranty,
statement, or information made or communicated (orally or in writing)
as to the suitability of this service in the DXLab Suite or any of its
heirs!

*** AA6YQ comments below

+++ If you’d like to construct a “current location-to-DST database” from the information contained in this large set of text files, Peter, I’ll be happy to extend DXView to exploit it.

A most generous offer but one I must decline. Mostly because, past Korn shell, I avoid programming. :-)

That said, DXLab users aren't the only ones that would like to see actual locations mapped to the correct TZ and there is an RFC covering network distribution of this info: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7808

*** The need is not "accurate time zone information for each location"; DXView's DXCC Database has long provided that.

*** The need is "accurate summer time information for each location".