Spot collector web server oddity.


kk1w@...
 

I've been using the web server for years, mostly using my Android devices to keep an eye on my 'needs' list. I've never had a problem until this week. A few days ago Android devices started showing "This site can't be reached" on my phone and tablet. I figured the PC had rebooted but no, when I went to the shack everything was running just fine.

To make a long story shorter, and after some trial and error, I have it working again. For what it's worth here's my findings.

The only way I can use my Android devices is to use the IP address, in this case 192.168.1.223/80. Using the computer name doesn't work. I've only tested this with Chrome so it could be either Chrome or the OS I guess. I also have three PC's on the network, they work as expected and can connect with either the IP address or the computer name. I also tested on my wife's android phone and it required the IP to connect as well.

I don't know the reason, just thought I'd pass this on and maybe save someone else some frustration for someone else.

Jim/KK1W


Dave AA6YQ
 

AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...]
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:04 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: [dxlab] Spot collector web server oddity.

I've been using the web server for years, mostly using my Android devices to keep an eye on my 'needs' list. I've never had a problem until this week. A few days ago Android devices started showing "This site can't be reached" on my phone and tablet. I figured the PC had rebooted but no, when I went to the shack everything was running just fine.

To make a long story shorter, and after some trial and error, I have it working again. For what it's worth here's my findings.

The only way I can use my Android devices is to use the IP address, in this case 192.168.1.223/80. Using the computer name doesn't work. I've only tested this with Chrome so it could be either Chrome or the OS I guess. I also have three PC's on the network, they work as expected and can connect with either the IP address or the computer name. I also tested on my wife's android phone and it required the IP to connect as well.

I don't know the reason, just thought I'd pass this on and maybe save someone else some frustration for someone else.

Give the IP address you're using, I assume that your Android devices are connected via WiFi to the same network to which the machine running SpotCollector is connected (as opposed to accessing the internet via their cellular data connection). Did your Android devices recently download and install an update?
73,

Dave, AA6YQ


kk1w@...
 

Dave,

That's correct, all the mobile devices and PC's are wifi inside my network. I don't remember any recent updates. Here's the best info I can get off my phone:

Chrome is at 51.0.2704.81 which I think came out late May 2016.
The OS is android 5.1 with a build date of May 5, 2016
The last system update was May 18, 2016.
The two phones are on the Verizon but the tablet is wifi only so I don't think it's related to a Verizon update.

I'm not sure when the behavior changed but I know it wasn't way back in May. Most likely over the last week or so.

Thanks for the quick response. Not sure what else I can provide - I'm surprised I got this far!

Jim


iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

SpotCollector's web server doesn't (can't) do anything to enable
resolution of your PC's hostname by web clients. That would have to be
provided by something like your router, which could act as a DNS
server and resolve your PCs name either if it was provided by the
router (my router has static DHCP mappings for my fixed PCs with
friendly names) or if Windows provided its name to your router as part
of its DHCP request. Windows may have other (non-DNS) ways to resolve
hostnames for nearby PCs.

73,

~iain / N6ML



On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 6:59 PM, kk1w@... [dxlab]
<dxlab@...> wrote:



Dave,

That's correct, all the mobile devices and PC's are wifi inside my network. I don't remember any recent updates. Here's the best info I can get off my phone:

Chrome is at 51.0.2704.81 which I think came out late May 2016.
The OS is android 5.1 with a build date of May 5, 2016
The last system update was May 18, 2016.
The two phones are on the Verizon but the tablet is wifi only so I don't think it's related to a Verizon update.

I'm not sure when the behavior changed but I know it wasn't way back in May. Most likely over the last week or so.

Thanks for the quick response. Not sure what else I can provide - I'm surprised I got this far!

Jim