From: dxlab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxlab@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:35 PM
To: dxlab@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dxlab] DXView after Win10

After I upgraded to Windows 10, upon opening DXView for the first time, a window popped up asking about about how a certain file extension should be opened in the future. Unfortunately, I don�t recall the extension (only that it was something I hadn�t seen before). Since DXView would not run until I cleared that window, I told Windows 10 that extension should be opened with DXView.

Now DXView opens and runs correctly, until I exit it. When I run DXView again, Launcher shows dxv as red, and a window pops up saying that DXView is already running - even though it appears not to be running, but it is listed in Task Manager.

After I clear that �ghost� DXView in Task Manger, once I load DXView I still get the message that it is already running, and again there are two instances of it in Task Manager.

Dave, what types of files can DXView open, so I can attempt to change the association?

In the context of a Windows "file association", in which Windows associates an application to use when opening a file of a particular type (denoted by its file extension) -- e.g. when you double-click on a file in Windows Explorer -- DXView is incapable of displaying any file type.
Googling "File associations Windows 10" produced no "how to" information, but did reveal that there were defects in this functionality being corrected this spring. This article provides information relevant to Windows 8.1 that might be helpful:
<http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2014/01/10/configuring-file-associations-in-windows-8-1.aspx>

You could also try searching for "File associations" in the Windows 10 Help. You should be able to view a list of file types and the application associated with each. When you find the file type whose associated application is DXView, direct Windows to remove this association.

After that's sorted, I would reboot Windows 10. Hopefully that will clear the other behavior your report above.

Sebastian <w4as@...>

Dave, I wasn’t able to solve the issue with the link you sent. It appears DISM's command line syntax has changed in Windows 10.

However, I found this site which was very helpful: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-default-file-type-associations-restore-windows-10-a.html <http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-default-file-type-associations-restore-windows-10-a.html>

Sometimes the simple things are right in front of you. Resetting the default file associations in Windows 10 was a piece of cake. Once I did that, the problem with running DXView was solved. I should note that I also use DX Atlas with DXView, and it appears that may have had something to do with the problem I experienced.

After resetting the associations, and closing and running DXLab several times, the window asking how to handle an extension appeared again. The file extension is .kml, for keyhole markup language. This is used by at least Google Earth and I suspect perhaps is also used by DX Atlas.

Windows 10 believes DXView.exe is probably the default program to use with that extension, as it is the first program which appears in the list of programs to associate it with.

Instead, I chose the text editor I use Notepad++, an excellent and free (GNU) source code editor. As soon as I did that, the text editor displayed a file with the name LoadPlottedInfo.kml, which looks like an xml file. Because of the formatting, I chose not to post it here. If you’d like, I can send it direct to you. It references opengis.net, as well as google.com; hopefully this file won’t pop up from time to time.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Dave AA6YQ

DXView generates .kml files and expects Google Earth to open them.

If you have DXView configured to interoperate with Google Earth, then Google Earth must be installed, and run at least once so that it can setup the association with .kml files.

Sebastian <w4as@...>

I don’t have Google Earth installed on that machine, but I did in the past.  I just looked and DXView was still configured for Google Earth, so that explains it.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

Brian Duffell <brian13434@...>

"aa6yq@ambersoft.com [dxlab]" <dxlab@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

DXView generates .kml files and expects Google Earth to open them.

If you have DXView configured to interoperate with Google Earth, then
Google Earth must be installed, and run at least once so that it can setup
the association with .kml files.

I have google earth and google earth pro on my radio computer. DXView opens
google earth. Can I make it open Google earth pro instead?

--
Brian Duffell
G3VGZ

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
DXView generates .kml files and expects Google Earth to open them.

If you have DXView configured to interoperate with Google Earth, then
Google Earth must be installed, and run at least once so that it can setup the association with .kml files.

I have google earth and google earth pro on my radio computer. DXView opens google earth. Can I make it open Google earth pro
instead?

DXView constructs .kml files and then directs Windows to "open" them. Windows will invoke whichever application has registered an
association with .kml files. Check your file associations (in Windows) to see what application is associated with .kml files. If the
association is not with Google Earth Pro, try changing it.