From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...] On Behalf Of Stephen Rabinowitz
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:35 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: [dxlab] WinWarbler

My sincere thanks to Dave, Joe, and all of you who have helped me get the DXSuite running. DXCC and WAS on SSB have been completed
in less than six months, thanks to SpotCollector. Now I am having a blast using digital modes via WinWarbler, and even logging QSOs
on DXKeeper from JT-65 and its bridge program. Today on 20 meters I saw something amazing. A station on the PSK waterfall showed
the characters "CQ" visually in the stream, and later on, "73." A little Googling revealed that some question the legality of
transmitting images on that frequency, but this seems to be catching on despite the spoilsports, since it doesn't increase the
bandwidth of the signal. Is this feature something that we might see on WinWarbler? This 69-year-old, licensed since 1958, thinks
its way cool.

That's Hellschreiber, one of the oldest digital modes:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellschreiber>

Hellschreiber is a legal amateur mode supported by several of the applications with which DXLab interoperates. While it indeed
looks cool, decoding text from a Hellschreiber transmission would require something akin to optical character recognition, but in a
much noisier environment.

WinWarbler supports the digital modes most frequently used for DXing: RTTY and PSK. Unless another mode gains comparable
popularity among DXers, efforts to improve WinWarbler will be more focused on improving support for current modes than on adding new
modes. Given the interoperation with MultiPSK, FLDigi, JT-Alert, MixW, DM780, MMVARI, and MMSSTV, DXLab users have access to pretty
much all digital modes, one way or another.

Stephen Rabinowitz

Foolish as it is for me to disagree with someone more knowledgable than myself, I respectfully have to say that this is not Hellschreiber, although it has a similar effect for a tiny phrase.  The characters I saw were contained within the psk31 waterfall and in the same bandwidth.  The remainder of the signal decoded with WinWarbler set for psk31.  This technique was discussed 5 years ago on http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-184123.html .  I love DxSuite just as it is, and don't seek to add to anyone's burdens.  Just thought you folks would have some fun with this.  Many, many thanks again for the brilliant work you have already done and your extreme generosity in sharing the result.
All the best,
73 Steve WA2DFP

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

My sincere thanks to Dave, Joe, and all of you who have helped me get the DXSuite running. DXCC and WAS on SSB have been completed
in less than six months, thanks to SpotCollector. Now I am having a blast using digital modes via WinWarbler, and even logging QSOs
on DXKeeper from JT-65 and its bridge program. Today on 20 meters I saw something amazing. A station on the PSK waterfall showed
the characters "CQ" visually in the stream, and later on, "73." A little Googling revealed that some question the legality of
transmitting images on that frequency, but this seems to be catching on despite the spoilsports, since it doesn't increase the
bandwidth of the signal. Is this feature something that we might see on WinWarbler? This 69-year-old, licensed since 1958, thinks
its way cool.

>>>That's Hellschreiber, one of the oldest digital modes:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellschreiber>

>>>Hellschreiber is a legal amateur mode supported by several of the applications with which DXLab interoperates. While it indeed
looks cool, decoding text from a Hellschreiber transmission would require something akin to optical character recognition, but in a
much noisier environment.

>>>WinWarbler supports the digital modes most frequently used for DXing: RTTY and PSK. Unless another mode gains comparable
popularity among DXers, efforts to improve WinWarbler will be more focused on improving support for current modes than on adding new
modes. Given the interoperation with MultiPSK, FLDigi, JT-Alert, MixW, DM780, MMVARI, and MMSSTV, DXLab users have access to pretty
much all digital modes, one way or another.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Speaking to the bandwidth issue ... in 2006 (Docket WP 04-104), the FCC
extended the definition of "Data" to include a wide range of digital and
analog emissions *as long as the bandwidth was less than 500 Hz*. In
essence image is like CW now ... image can be used anywhere but it must
be less than 500 Hz outside the "phone" bands.

ARRL tried to shaft the CW and RTTY user back then and asked for 3 KHz
bandwidth for digital image outside the "phone" bands but the Commission
spanked them down in no uncertain terms.

On 1/16/2014 4:07 PM, Stephen Rabinowitz MD wrote:
[...]

Greg <ab7r@...>

There are some good things the ARRL does of course but sometimes I just don't understand why they do some things which makes it increasingly more difficult to support them each year.

73
Greg - AB7R

Speaking to the bandwidth issue ... in 2006 (Docket WP 04-104), the FCC
extended the definition of "Data" to include a wide range of digital and
analog emissions *as long as the bandwidth was less than 500 Hz*. In
essence image is like CW now ... image can be used anywhere but it must
be less than 500 Hz outside the "phone" bands.

ARRL tried to shaft the CW and RTTY user back then and asked for 3 KHz
bandwidth for digital image outside the "phone" bands but the Commission
spanked them down in no uncertain terms.

On 1/16/2014 4:07 PM, Stephen Rabinowitz MD wrote:
> Foolish as it is for me to disagree with someone more knowledgable than myself, I respectfully have to say that this is not Hellschreiber, although it has a similar effect for a tiny phrase. The characters I saw were contained within the psk31 waterfall and in the same bandwidth. The remainder of the signal decoded with WinWarbler set for psk31. This technique was discussed 5 years ago on http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-184123.html . I love DxSuite just as it is, and don't seek to add to anyone's burdens. Just thought you folks would have some fun with this. Many, many thanks again for the brilliant work you have already done and your extreme generosity in sharing the result.
> All the best,
> 73 Steve WA2DFP
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Andrew OBrien

Steve is talking about what is often called "Video Text "  or " Video ID" sent in CMT Hell . A novel idea but a feature not often used these days because it is  rather slow compared to just sending plain text. Fldigi and Multipsk have the capability and both those applications work well with DX Lab Suite. DM780 also has this feature.  Use of this featured is discouraged  in digital nets.
Andy K3UK

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Greg <ab7r@...> wrote:

There are some good things the ARRL does of course but sometimes I just don't understand why they do some things which makes it increasingly more difficult to support them each year.

73
Greg - AB7R

Speaking to the bandwidth issue ... in 2006 (Docket WP 04-104), the FCC
extended the definition of "Data" to include a wide range of digital and
analog emissions *as long as the bandwidth was less than 500 Hz*. In
essence image is like CW now ... image can be used anywhere but it must
be less than 500 Hz outside the "phone" bands.

ARRL tried to shaft the CW and RTTY user back then and asked for 3 KHz
bandwidth for digital image outside the "phone" bands but the Commission
spanked them down in no uncertain terms.

On 1/16/2014 4:07 PM, Stephen Rabinowitz MD wrote:
> Foolish as it is for me to disagree with someone more knowledgable than myself, I respectfully have to say that this is not Hellschreiber, although it has a similar effect for a tiny phrase. The characters I saw were contained within the psk31 waterfall and in the same bandwidth. The remainder of the signal decoded with WinWarbler set for psk31. This technique was discussed 5 years ago on http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-184123.html . I love DxSuite just as it is, and don't seek to add to anyone's burdens. Just thought you folks would have some fun with this. Many, many thanks again for the brilliant work you have already done and your extreme generosity in sharing the result.
> All the best,
> 73 Steve WA2DFP
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Andrew OBrien

One more thing... Steve when you see this, the software sends "CQ" (whatever you specify) in CMT Hell and then switches to the mode you have selected , e,g. PSK31, Olivia, MFSK32 , etc.
Andy K3UK

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Andrew O'Brien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:
Steve is talking about what is often called "Video Text "  or " Video ID" sent in CMT Hell . A novel idea but a feature not often used these days because it is  rather slow compared to just sending plain text. Fldigi and Multipsk have the capability and both those applications work well with DX Lab Suite. DM780 also has this feature.  Use of this featured is discouraged  in digital nets.
Andy K3UK

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Greg <ab7r@...> wrote:

There are some good things the ARRL does of course but sometimes I just don't understand why they do some things which makes it increasingly more difficult to support them each year.

73
Greg - AB7R

Speaking to the bandwidth issue ... in 2006 (Docket WP 04-104), the FCC
extended the definition of "Data" to include a wide range of digital and
analog emissions *as long as the bandwidth was less than 500 Hz*. In
essence image is like CW now ... image can be used anywhere but it must
be less than 500 Hz outside the "phone" bands.

ARRL tried to shaft the CW and RTTY user back then and asked for 3 KHz
bandwidth for digital image outside the "phone" bands but the Commission
spanked them down in no uncertain terms.

On 1/16/2014 4:07 PM, Stephen Rabinowitz MD wrote:
> Foolish as it is for me to disagree with someone more knowledgable than myself, I respectfully have to say that this is not Hellschreiber, although it has a similar effect for a tiny phrase. The characters I saw were contained within the psk31 waterfall and in the same bandwidth. The remainder of the signal decoded with WinWarbler set for psk31. This technique was discussed 5 years ago on http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-184123.html . I love DxSuite just as it is, and don't seek to add to anyone's burdens. Just thought you folks would have some fun with this. Many, many thanks again for the brilliant work you have already done and your extreme generosity in sharing the result.
> All the best,
> 73 Steve WA2DFP
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Stephen Rabinowitz

Steve WA2DFP