Windows 9 is coming

Dave AA6YQ

Michael Blake <k9jri@...>

Thanks Dave.  I had not yet seen thi on Paul’s Supersite.  I have one desktop and two tablets running 8.1 and I have been quite pleased.  Looking forward to the next step though 😊

Thanks again for the heads hup

Michael Blake
K9JRI

CSM&#92;(r&#92;) Gary Huber - AB9M

Thanks Dave. I bought my wife a new I-7 laptop with OEM installed 64 bit Windows 8. Neither of us like it. I updated the OS 8.1, and its still SLOOOW booting up and getting to the applications. Considered trying to reload the laptop with WIN 7 but its another extremely difficult adventure without the motherboard drivers. Maybe WIN-9 will save the investment.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:13 AM
Subject: [dxlab] Windows 9 is coming

<http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015>

Dave, AA6YQ

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 2:13 AM, <aa6yq@...> wrote:

Really?  Well, every other release has been OK if you count 8/8.1 as being one version.  XP (SP2+) good, Vista bad, W7 good, W8/8.1 bad, W9 ... ?  Like Star Trek movies, only odd numbers good here.

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Dave AA6YQ

Try Googling this phrase, Gary:

make windows 8 look like 7

The slow bootup may be the result of pre-installed bloatware. Run MSConfig to see what applications Windows has been configured to automatically start, and then disable the ones you don’t need.

Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...] On Behalf Of GARY HUBER
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:28 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Windows 9 is coming

Thanks Dave. I bought my wife a new I-7 laptop with OEM installed 64 bit Windows 8. Neither of us like it. I updated the OS 8.1, and its still SLOOOW booting up and getting to the applications. Considered trying to reload the laptop with WIN 7 but its another extremely difficult adventure without the motherboard drivers. Maybe WIN-9 will save the investment.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

<http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015>

Dave, AA6YQ

Larry

I wonder when will Microsoft fix the honey pot in Windows??? e.g Malware is the fly, Windows is the honey.

At least this has been my experience. My latest new laptop, a high end Toshiba, garnered hundreds of bits of malware software and I could hardly operate it long enough to download anti malware software. I think I have it under control now, but going to a new system??

Larry AD6ST

Richard B Drake

I would suspect a problem with that new Laptop. Windows 8 and 8.1 are not slower than Win 7. There are some user interface differences that take a day or two to get used to but once you get past that you should be good to go.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

GARY HUBER wrote:

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

KA9JAC

I agree with Rich, Win8 is not slower then 7
I tested 8 on a boatanchor that could not handle 7 and it ran quite well.
If you are having problems with it being slow, there may be other issues.

On 1/12/2014 3:40 PM, Rich - W3ZJ wrote:

I would suspect a problem with that new Laptop. Windows 8 and 8.1 are
not slower than Win 7. There are some user interface differences that
take a day or two to get used to but once you get past that you should
be good to go.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

GARY HUBER wrote:
> Thanks Dave. I bought my wife a new I-7 laptop with OEM installed 64
> bit Windows 8. Neither of us like it. I updated the OS 8.1, and its
> still SLOOOW booting up and getting to the applications. Considered
> trying to reload the laptop with WIN 7 but its another extremely
> difficult adventure without the motherboard drivers. Maybe WIN-9 will
> save the investment.
> 73 ES DX,
> Gary -- AB9M

ART SEARLE <w2nra@...>

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a source for a desktop computer that doesn’t come with bloatware?

73, Art Searle

On Jan 12, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

The slow bootup may be the result of pre-installed bloatware. Run MSConfig to see what applications Windows has been configured to automatically start, and then disable the ones you don’t need.

Dave, AA6YQ

From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...] On Behalf Of GARY HUBER
To: dxlab@...

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Dave, AA6YQ

Cliff K3LL <k3ll@...>

I’ve seen the amount of bloat pre-installed by Dell decrease significantly.  In addition, I always request physical media for the OS and drivers from Dell.  Reinstalling from media usually removes any latent bloatware.

BTW, with Win8, the license key is embedded in the BIOS so the OS license is really tied to the machine and now enforced- only when the OS is preinstalled (OEM version).

Cliff K3LL

From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...] On Behalf Of ART SEARLE
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:23 PM
To: DXLab Yahoo Group

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a source for a desktop computer that doesn’t come with bloatware?

73, Art Searle

Dave, AA6YQ

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Dave, AA6YQ

Ken Bandy, KJ9B <kj9b@...>

Art, you could buy a computer "kit" from a source such as NewEgg.  I just completed my second machine from them.  They sell "bundles" so the important stuff is already matched up, i.e. Motherboard matched to CPU and memory.  Fairly simple construction, and lots of money to be saved.  I just put together a PC based on an Intel i5 quad core processor with 8 GB of RAM, 2TB HD, 450W PS, nice case, and DVD burner for just over $600.  Not a "gamer" machine, but it works well for what I need.

Disclaimer, I have no affiliation, other than being a satisfied customer, with NewEgg.

Ken, KJ9B

Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:23 PM

Hi All,

73, Art Searle

Dave AA6YQ

The PowerSpec PCs I recently bought from MicroCenter came with an antivirus application and a Microsoft Office "trial". Both were
easily uninstalled.

Dave, AA6QY

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a source for a desktop computer that doesn't come with bloatware?

73, Art Searle

The slow bootup may be the result of pre-installed bloatware. Run MSConfig to see what applications Windows has been
configured to automatically start, and then disable the ones you don't need.

Dave, AA6YQ

From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...] On Behalf Of GARY HUBER

Thanks Dave. I bought my wife a new I-7 laptop with OEM installed 64 bit Windows 8. Neither of us like it. I updated the OS
8.1, and its still SLOOOW booting up and getting to the applications. Considered trying to reload the laptop with WIN 7 but its
another extremely difficult adventure without the motherboard drivers. Maybe WIN-9 will save the investment.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Dave, AA6YQ

JGMAGS <jgmags2000@...>

Yes Art... build your own..

"Many a good argument is ruined by some fool that knows what he is talking about"
... Marshall McLuhan...

Hi All,

73, Art Searle

Dave, AA6YQ

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Dave, AA6YQ

Robert Peterson

CAN’T READ THAT – COULD YOU MAKE IT LARGER?

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 1:09 AM

"Many a good argument is ruined by some fool that knows what he is talking about"
... Marshall McLuhan...

To: DXLab Yahoo Group <dxlab@...>

Hi All,

73, Art Searle

Dave, AA6YQ

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Dave, AA6YQ

Stephen Rabinowitz

An easy and free way to gain insight into your boot process, to see how many seconds each program adds to the wait, which programs can be eliminated from startup, and which can be delayed, is to install Soluto from www.soluto.com

73, Steve  WA2DFP

From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...] On Behalf Of Rich - W3ZJ
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:40 PM

I would suspect a problem with that new Laptop. Windows 8 and 8.1 are
not slower than Win 7. There are some user interface differences that
take a day or two to get used to but once you get past that you should
be good to go.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

GARY HUBER wrote:
> Thanks Dave. I bought my wife a new I-7 laptop with OEM installed 64
> bit Windows 8. Neither of us like it. I updated the OS 8.1, and its
> still SLOOOW booting up and getting to the applications. Considered
> trying to reload the laptop with WIN 7 but its another extremely
> difficult adventure without the motherboard drivers. Maybe WIN-9 will
> save the investment.
> 73 ES DX,
> Gary -- AB9M

ke9uw

I've found the pre installed anti virus like McAfee really slows down the computer. I use win 8+ on an i5 and windows defender or windows security...what ever they call it now. Free, adequate, and doesn't slow the computer down.

Richard B Drake

3 of my 4 computers are installed with retail versions of the OS direct
from Microsoft. No bloatware in that. The 4th one, my wife's Toshiba
Ultrabook did come with some bloatware, both from Toshiba and from Best
Buy where we bought it. I simply uninstalled it.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Cliff K3LL wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a source for a desktop computer that doesn’t come
with bloatware?

73, Art Searle

JGMAGS <jgmags2000@...>

Do you need glasses? Or perhaps you need a magnifier..

... Marshall McLuhan...

Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:47 PM
Subject: RE: [dxlab] Windows 9 is coming

CAN’T READ THAT – COULD YOU MAKE IT LARGER?

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 1:09 AM

... Marshall McLuhan...

To: DXLab Yahoo Group <dxlab@...>

Hi All,

73, Art Searle

Dave, AA6YQ

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

Dave, AA6YQ

ajayvee1

It's pretty easy to just go into Control Panel and remove anything you don't want. And if you're having problems getting accustomed to the new Win8 interface I recommend Start8 by Stardock: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/  It brings back the Win7/XP like menus to Win8.

Richard B Drake

I would advise against doing that. Like it or not the new menus/screens are there from now on so get used to it. To insist on hanging on to the old interface is just delaying the inevitable. It took me less than two days to get used to the new interface and now when I have to go back to the old XP/Win 7 screens it takes ma awhile to find my way around.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

ajvtech@... wrote:

<!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both; font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row { clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /* margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px; valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /* end of attachment style */ --> <!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } -->

It's pretty easy to just go into Control Panel and remove anything you don't want. And if you're having problems getting accustomed to the new Win8 interface I recommend Start8 by Stardock: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ It brings back the Win7/XP like menus to Win8.