From: dxlab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxlab@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Besancon
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 6:13 PM
To: dxlab@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dxlab] Enhancement Request

Dave and All

Although I have noticed it for some time, I would like to request that the
Freq in the Outgoing spot frame in SC be fixed and held to the frequency of
the spot when it was placed in the call box.

To me, it should not vary, even if I spin the vfo dial off the spot. There
are times I would like to spot after the fact and find myself on a different
freq or band from the spot.

73

Jim K8SIA

PS: Thanks for the "-#" fix.

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

1. Spin the VFO
2. Hear an interesting DX station
3. Work him
4. Log it
5. Spin the VFO some more
6. Realise that it would be a good idea to spot the guy you just worked

As it is, you have to tune him back in to get the spot right...

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:
Please describe a scenario in which you would QSY away from the frequency of a station you intend to spot?

Although I have noticed it for some time, I would like to request that the
Freq in the Outgoing spot frame in SC be fixed and held to the frequency of
the spot when it was placed in the call box.

To me, it should not vary, even if I spin the vfo dial off the spot. There
are times I would like to spot after the fact and find myself on a different
freq or band from the spot.

73

Jim K8SIA

PS: Thanks for the "-#" fix.

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Richard B Drake

Why nnot spot then log? That's what I do.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

73, Rich - W3ZJ
Sent from my Kindle Fire

Although I have noticed it for some time, I would like to request that the
Freq in the Outgoing spot frame in SC be fixed and held to the frequency of
the spot when it was placed in the call box.

To me, it should not vary, even if I spin the vfo dial off the spot. There
are times I would like to spot after the fact and find myself on a different
freq or band from the spot.

73

Jim K8SIA

PS: Thanks for the "-#" fix.

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Richard B Drake

Why would you want to do that? Iwant to use the frequeny of my receiver which i know to be accurate. Not someone else's obviously inaccurare frequency!

73, Rich - W3ZJ

73, Rich - W3ZJ
Sent from my Kindle Fire

Although I have noticed it for some time, I would like to request that the
Freq in the Outgoing spot frame in SC be fixed and held to the frequency of
the spot when it was placed in the call box.

To me, it should not vary, even if I spin the vfo dial off the spot. There
are times I would like to spot after the fact and find myself on a different
freq or band from the spot.

73

Jim K8SIA

PS: Thanks for the "-#" fix.

Gerhard "Gary" Jaeger, DF2RG

At one time not too long ago I was at a point, that if I spot something, then I would just spot let's say 14.0000 MHz to indicate that this and this rare DX station is qrv on 20m, and it would be up to the experienced DX'er to find the station himself, with the help of his ears and/or of reading DX bulletins and published frequency lists. This to avoid the avalanche of a horde of "one click DX machines" forming pile ups of unknown size.

OK, back from dreaming, get a powerful station and join the "war".

73 de Gary, DF2RG

"Twenty years from now, you will be more
disappointed by the things that you didn't do,
rather than by the things you did."
- Mark Twain

Paul M Dunphy

On 2/12/2013 8:31 AM, df2rg@arcor.de wrote:
At one time not too long ago I was at a point, that if I spot something, then I would just spot let's say 14.0000 MHz to indicate that this and this rare DX station is qrv on 20m, and it would be up to the experienced DX'er to find the station himself, with the help of his ears and/or of reading DX bulletins and published frequency lists. This to avoid the avalanche of a horde of "one click DX machines" forming pile ups of unknown size.

OK, back from dreaming, get a powerful station and join the "war".

73 de Gary, DF2RG

"Twenty years from now, you will be more
disappointed by the things that you didn't do,
rather than by the things you did."
- Mark Twain

That is known in DX Cluster jargon as BoB DX (Bottom of the Band) DX. Some users do it use the DX Cluster network as a chat line. No DX will operate on exactly 14.0000, 21.0000, etc because they will be partially outside of the band. Many DX Clusters, including my node (VE1DXI), provide the ability to filter them out. The purpose of the DX Cluster is not to be a chat line. i.e.

DX ZZ1ZZ VE1DX 140000 No QSLS yet, sent last Aug
DX AA1AA VE1DX 140000 Got mine but sent $8 twice !!
DX BB1BB VE1DX 140000 Says RTTY tomorrow

None of the above BoB spots are real, or tell you where VE1DX is operating, which is the purpose of the DX Cluster. If you want to convey the above information, use the ANNOUNCE or TALK command. Better yet, spot the DX on the correct frequency, or don't spot it at all. A spot like:

DX CC1CCC VE1DX 140000 Somewhere on 20M, find him!

is useless and wastes resources.

73, Paul VE1DX

James Besancon

Dave

Iain pretty well describes the reason.

I often forget to spot or decide to spot later if I don't see a spot, etc.

Jim

K8SIA

Please describe a scenario in which you would QSY away from the frequency of
a station you intend to spot?

Although I have noticed it for some time, I would like to request that the
Freq in the Outgoing spot frame in SC be fixed and held to the frequency of
the spot when it was placed in the call box.

To me, it should not vary, even if I spin the vfo dial off the spot. There
are times I would like to spot after the fact and find myself on a different
freq or band from the spot.

73

Jim K8SIA

PS: Thanks for the "-#" fix.

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

g4wjs

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Besancon" wrote:

Dave and All

Although I have noticed it for some time, I would like to request that the
Freq in the Outgoing spot frame in SC be fixed and held to the frequency of
the spot when it was placed in the call box.

To me, it should not vary, even if I spin the vfo dial off the spot. There
are times I would like to spot after the fact and find myself on a different
freq or band from the spot.
I would quite like a feature along these lines, as I often forget to spot a station until after I have QSY'ed. But I would object to an implementation as described above as this would just encourage inaccurate spotting.

If it were implemented, I would prefer a quick way of going back to the Tx and Rx QRG's of the last logged contact. This would be slightly better than the existing Commander Bandspread band buttons which, I believe, don't recall split of the prior operating frequencies. Maybe this feature already exists somewhere?

73

Jim K8SIA
73
Bill.

Dave AA6YQ

Adding a QSY option to the right-mouse menu of DXKeeper's Log Page Display would make it easy to return your transceiver to the frequency and mode of any logged QSO, and seems generally useful. Would this satisfy the need?

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" wrote:

Adding a QSY option to the right-mouse menu of DXKeeper's Log Page Display would make it easy to return your transceiver to the frequency and mode of any logged QSO, and seems generally useful. Would this satisfy the need?
Even better!

Works for me and might be handy for regular skeds as well.

[...]

I am not a big fan of auto QSY. I never know what memory will be picked on a
band for the mode and if it will over write an existing setup on that band
memory combination.

All I was hoping for was, if I place a call in WW call box and then TAB to
RST or LOG the contact, and the outgoing spot is loaded, that the spot
frequency not change until the process (new call) is repeated.

73 - Jim - K8SIA

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dxlab%40yahoogroups.com> , "g4wjs"
wrote:

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dxlab%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jim

[...]