SSD's for replacements

Dave AA6YQ

Here's a discussion of HDD vs SSD tradeoffs:

<http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd>

Here's a discussion of SSD endurance:

<http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html>

--- In dxlab@..., Chuck Chandler <chandlerusm@...> wrote:

I've read about the SSD's failing after a certain amount of read/writes...
is this an issue?

73 de Chuck, WS1L

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Rich - W3ZJ <rich@...> wrote:

**

Solid State Drives (SSD) are indeed now appearing in the mainstream.
They are still a bit more expensive per megabyte than rotating electro
mechanical hard drives. But they are fast, reliable and finally
available in usable capacities (128, 256 and 512 GB). My wife has a
128GB SSD in her new Toshiba Ultabook, an amazingly small and light full
featured Laptop, and as Dave said, it "Screams".

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Chuck Chandler wrote:
A complete check disk found and replaced some bad sectors. All now works
as it should.

A review of Event Viewer shows no 1005 errors in the Application Log
until
today.

DXKeeper had no errorlog.txt, and Launcher had one with a single entry
from
back in 2011.

I'll keep a careful eye on the hard drive, and start checking into
replacing it.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Randy

Excellent, Dave! Thanks!!