SSD's for replacements WAS :Re: DXKeeper 10.3.7 won't launch resolved

Chuck, WS1L

I've read about the SSD's failing after a certain amount of read/writes...
is this an issue?

73 de Chuck, WS1L

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Rich - W3ZJ <rich@w3zj.com> wrote:

**

Solid State Drives (SSD) are indeed now appearing in the mainstream.
They are still a bit more expensive per megabyte than rotating electro
mechanical hard drives. But they are fast, reliable and finally
available in usable capacities (128, 256 and 512 GB). My wife has a
128GB SSD in her new Toshiba Ultabook, an amazingly small and light full
featured Laptop, and as Dave said, it "Screams".

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Chuck Chandler wrote:
A complete check disk found and replaced some bad sectors. All now works
as it should.

A review of Event Viewer shows no 1005 errors in the Application Log
until
today.

DXKeeper had no errorlog.txt, and Launcher had one with a single entry
from
back in 2011.

I'll keep a careful eye on the hard drive, and start checking into
replacing it.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Paul M Dunphy

At 08:36 AM 8/6/2012, you wrote:
I've read about the SSD's failing after a certain amount of read/writes...
is this an issue?

73 de Chuck, WS1L

That was a rumor (possibly true when they first hit the market) a few years ago, but I'm told by a number of people who have them it has been rectified. I would verify this before buying one, but I don't think it's the case anymore.

My son has been running one in a Linux server as the system drive for about 2 years and claims it is like lightning. He was aware of the problem you mentioned and did a lot of research, and he concluded it was not a problem. It goes 24/7 and is a busy machine (he is an electrical engineer and ~2 years away from a PhD, so I trust his judgement.)

73, Paul VE1DX

Joe Subich, W4TV

Don't know about number of rewrites but check your motherboard and operating system carefully before trying to add a SSD.

There is limited support for SSD in Windows XP - it lacks TRIM so
is not efficient in allocation of space. Second be careful with
interface specifications - I purchased an SSD for my main system
but its interface was SATA3 (6 Gb) only and the the motherboard
only supported SATA (1.5 Gb) and SATA2 (3 Gb). I selected the drive
I did based on reliability information as the older SSDs with the
SATA/SATA 2 interfaces appeared to be substantially less reliable
than the current generation of devices.

Chuck Chandler wrote:
A complete check disk found and replaced some bad sectors. All now works
as it should.

A review of Event Viewer shows no 1005 errors in the Application Log
until
today.

DXKeeper had no errorlog.txt, and Launcher had one with a single entry
from
back in 2011.

I'll keep a careful eye on the hard drive, and start checking into
replacing it.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Cliff K3LL <k3ll@...>

The Intel SSDs have some nice health monitoring software that you can run to
show you how the drive is doing.

I have the following setups:

1. Small 40GB Intel SSD on my main system for paging file and browser
temp files (Win XP)

2. 120 GB Samsung SSD on my laptop (Win 7)

3. 120 GB Intel SSD on my netbook (Win 7) - really makes the netbook
come to life

Plus, do not defrag an SSD

73,

Cliff K3LL