IE 9 and LotW?

Joe Subich, W4TV

Does anyone remember what the resolution was for LotW download failure
in Internet Explorer 9?

I have a new "clean install" of Window 7/64 that included IE9 that
will not download the ADIF files. I can paste the URL into Firefox
and it will download fine ... or I can download with IE 8 on my
Vista/64 system. I can also go to LotW using IE 9 manually.

I seem to recall there was a DLL issue ... is there a way to get a
"fixed" DLL?

ON2AD <on2ad@...>

Hi Joe,

I found this at:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/urlmondll-conflict-in-ie9/472cb4b7-506b-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

73 de Pat ON2AD

Hi,

Follow the steps listed below:

Step 1: Open Internet Explorer in no add-ons mode and then try to access the web page.

To open IE in no add-ons mode:
a. Click on start and then click on All programs.
b. Now click on Accessories and then click on System tools.
c. Open Internet Explorer (no add-ons mode).

Step 2:
a. Click on start an then type cmd in the start search box.
b. Right click on the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".
c. Type the following command and press enter:
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Step 3: Try to access the website in compatibility view settings.

Refer this article for help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197

Regards,
Afzal Taher
Microsoft Support Engineer

--- In dxlab@..., "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

Does anyone remember what the resolution was for LotW download failure
in Internet Explorer 9?

I have a new "clean install" of Window 7/64 that included IE9 that
will not download the ADIF files. I can paste the URL into Firefox
and it will download fine ... or I can download with IE 8 on my
Vista/64 system. I can also go to LotW using IE 9 manually.

I seem to recall there was a DLL issue ... is there a way to get a
"fixed" DLL?

CSM&#92;(r&#92;) Gary Huber - AB9M

The link is to a message I originated. Long story short, that message led to two days of phone calls with Microsoft Software engineers, a theory that the problem was in the URLMON.dll of the Windows 7 upgrade software for VISTA (and VISTA), and verification of that theory by doing a clean install of the upgrade software (which would not support IE9), then by doing a clean install of a full version of Windows 7 (provided N/C by MS) which did support the IE9 upgrade from IE8. All the testing was done on a second older computer rather my primary ham-shack computer, however all of my three computers which came with Vista but were upgraded to Windows 7 via a Microsoft Family Upgrade program disk, would not work with IE9.

My first indication of IE9 not working was with LOTW (DXLab DXKeeper). By using a restore point, I was able to return to IE8 and hide the IE9 update until I built a new computer. I do not believe you can fix the URLMON.dll as it is part of the Windows 7 OS. I tried swapping (copying) the IE8 URLMON.dll to IE9 with NO success. I was told the only fix (to use IE 9) for a computer previously running VISTA, is to do a clean install of a full version of Windows 7.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

--- In mailto:dxlab%40yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

Does anyone remember what the resolution was for LotW download failure
in Internet Explorer 9?

I have a new "clean install" of Window 7/64 that included IE9 that
will not download the ADIF files. I can paste the URL into Firefox
and it will download fine ... or I can download with IE 8 on my
Vista/64 system. I can also go to LotW using IE 9 manually.

I seem to recall there was a DLL issue ... is there a way to get a
"fixed" DLL?

Joe Subich, W4TV

Gary,

I was told the only fix (to use IE 9) for a computer previously
running VISTA, is to do a clean install of a full version of Windows
7.
Unfortunately, this is a *clean* installation of Windows 7/64 which
by that *should* support IE9. Once this system is finished I plan
to update my laptop - again with a clean install - so I'd like to
get this sorted out.

It's interesting that your testing showed that the manual download
worked if IE was launched in "no add-ons" mode. I wonder if Dave
can call that mode in DXKeeper?

I had originally planned to replace the boot drive with an SSD but
unfortunately the SSD is SATA III only and the motherboard only
supports to SATA II. I hope I don't see the same issue with the
laptop or I'll have a pair of unusable SSDs.

From: ON2AD Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:56 AM To:
dxlab@... Subject: [dxlab] Re: IE 9 and LotW?

wrote:

Does anyone remember what the resolution was for LotW download
failure in Internet Explorer 9?

I have a new "clean install" of Window 7/64 that included IE9 that
will not download the ADIF files. I can paste the URL into Firefox
and it will download fine ... or I can download with IE 8 on my
Vista/64 system. I can also go to LotW using IE 9 manually.

I seem to recall there was a DLL issue ... is there a way to get a
"fixed" DLL?

CSM&#92;(r&#92;) Gary Huber - AB9M

Joe,

Regarding the SSDs; I’ve been working on the SpotCollector DPC spike which in combination with other Delayed Procedure Calls from various sources including hard disk I/O, parallel port generated CW, incoming email, streaming audio and video can cause all sorts of timing issues in equipment and programs associated with the DXLab Suite. Solid State Drives have been suggested as a fix, but I’ve had some success using a second (physical) hard drive for the SC spot database and a 32 GB flash drive dedicated to ReadyBoost. My computer is one I built for about $550, using an AMD Phenom II 970 CPU, 8 GB of RAM, and a half Terra-byte Hitachi hard drive.

Moving the SC spot database off to the second drive (pull-out from my old computer) made a huge difference in DXLab performance, while adding the $30, 32 GB flash drive (formatted as exFAT) dedicated to ReadyBoost lets email, file downloads, disk maintenance (including virus scans) run with no time outs or interruptions to the FLEX-1500 VAC and CWSkimmer operations.

While I considered buying a SSD, I can’t justify the expense at this point, as the flash drive with ReadyBoost keeps the DPCs within the range required for streaming video and audio.

On the definition of clean install.... MS engineers explained to me their definition is the option which reformats the drive, in which case you will loose all data and programs as well as the OS. If that was not the case for your computers when Windows 7 was installed, the URLMON.dll is not correctly created for use beyond IE8.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

From: ON2AD Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:56 AM To:
mailto:dxlab%40yahoogroups.com Subject: [dxlab] Re: IE 9 and LotW?

wrote:

Does anyone remember what the resolution was for LotW download
failure in Internet Explorer 9?

I have a new "clean install" of Window 7/64 that included IE9 that
will not download the ADIF files. I can paste the URL into Firefox
and it will download fine ... or I can download with IE 8 on my
Vista/64 system. I can also go to LotW using IE 9 manually.

I seem to recall there was a DLL issue ... is there a way to get a
"fixed" DLL?

Joe Subich, W4TV

On the definition of clean install.... MS engineers explained to me
their definition is the option which reformats the drive, in which
case you will loose all data and programs as well as the OS. If that
was not the case for your computers when Windows 7 was installed, the
URLMON.dll is not correctly created for use beyond IE8.
This was a brand new hard drive (two, in fact). When the SSD would
not install I put Windows 7/64 on a new, never used before, 160 GB
SATA drive and reinstalled/copied my ham software (including DXLab
Suite) to &#92;Ham Programs on a new, never used before 500 GB SATA drive.

On 7/15/2012 12:15 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
[...]

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

> On the definition of clean install.... MS engineers explained to me
> their definition is the option which reformats the drive, in which
> case you will loose all data and programs as well as the OS. If that
> was not the case for your computers when Windows 7 was installed, the
> URLMON.dll is not correctly created for use beyond IE8.

This was a brand new hard drive (two, in fact). When the SSD would
not install I put Windows 7/64 on a new, never used before, 160 GB
SATA drive and reinstalled/copied my ham software (including DXLab
Suite) to &#92;Ham Programs on a new, never used before 500 GB SATA drive.

On 7/15/2012 12:15 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
Joe,

Regarding the SSDs; I’ve been working on the SpotCollector DPC spike
which in combination with other Delayed Procedure Calls from various
sources including hard disk I/O, parallel port generated CW, incoming
email, streaming audio and video can cause all sorts of timing issues
in equipment and programs associated with the DXLab Suite. Solid
State Drives have been suggested as a fix, but I’ve had some success
using a second (physical) hard drive for the SC spot database and a
32 GB flash drive dedicated to ReadyBoost. My computer is one I built
for about $550, using an AMD Phenom II 970 CPU, 8 GB of RAM, and a
half Terra-byte Hitachi hard drive.

Moving the SC spot database off to the second drive (pull-out from my
old computer) made a huge difference in DXLab performance, while
adding the $30, 32 GB flash drive (formatted as exFAT) dedicated to
ReadyBoost lets email, file downloads, disk maintenance (including
virus scans) run with no time outs or interruptions to the FLEX-1500
VAC and CWSkimmer operations.

While I considered buying a SSD, I can’t justify the expense at this
point, as the flash drive with ReadyBoost keeps the DPCs within the
range required for streaming video and audio.

On the definition of clean install.... MS engineers explained to me
their definition is the option which reformats the drive, in which
case you will loose all data and programs as well as the OS. If that
was not the case for your computers when Windows 7 was installed, the
URLMON.dll is not correctly created for use beyond IE8.

73 ES DX,
> Gary -- AB9M

CSM&#92;(r&#92;) Gary Huber - AB9M

Seems like you should NOT be experiencing a URLMON.dll problem. Can you fix
the problem by rolling back to IE8 via a restore point? Are you using
ReadyBoost or do you have a flash drive you could run ReadyBoost on for a
test?

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

[...]

I can restore operation with LotW by uninstalling IE9 through Control
Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates. I have not
played with restore points but don't see what that would buy me that
View installed Updates (right click and uninstall IE9) doesn't.

Are you using ReadyBoost or do you have a flash drive you could run
ReadyBoost on for a test?
I'm not currently running ReadyBoost but i don't see what that would
do for the URLMON problem.

On 7/15/2012 1:29 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
[...]

AA6YQ comments below
I was told the only fix (to use IE 9) for a computer previously
running VISTA, is to do a clean install of a full version of Windows
7.
Unfortunately, this is a *clean* installation of Windows 7/64 which by that
*should* support IE9. Once this system is finished I plan to update my
laptop - again with a clean install - so I'd like to get this sorted out.

It's interesting that your testing showed that the manual download worked if
IE was launched in "no add-ons" mode. I wonder if Dave can call that mode
in DXKeeper?

There is no reference to a "no add-ons" mode in the documentation of the
URLDownoadToFile function provided by URLMON.DLL:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775123(v=VS.85).aspx>

The other thing to check, as I was reminded by the URL that Iain N6ML just
posted, is that Internet Explorer is not configured to "work offline", as
this produces the same symptom.

[...]

I did not specifically check the "work offline" status but I had the
same symptoms - download failure - when I entered the download URL
in IE9's address box after navigating to the LotW site and logging
in.

In any case, since I can't replace URLMON.dll with a working version,
backing out IE9 allows me to sync with LotW.

I doubt Microsoft's veracity in describing the problem since IE9 quite
clearly replaces a version of URLMON that works with one that does not.

On 7/15/2012 4:34 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
[...]

Joe, I’m currently using IE9 and the full DXLab Suite with WIN7 64 bit. LOTW uploads and downloads are working. If your WIN 7 OS is NOT OEM but Genuine, Microsoft should not charge you to fix their problem.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

[...]

I'm using a genuine Microsoft (system builder) version. As it is,
falling back to IE8 is not a big deal since I don't use IE for anything
else (I prefer to avoid Microsoft application software as much as I can)

On 7/15/2012 7:04 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
[...]

Richard B Drake

I have IE 9 installed on two computers. My shack computer and a Laptop and I have had absolutely no problem with either one. Although one Microsoft Support rep seemed to think that this had to do with whether or not Win 7 was installed as a clean install, reports that have been posted here seem to dispute that. Thus, it is unclear why some people have a problem and others don't. The best advice is if IE 9 works for you, use it, if not back out the IE 9 Windows update and it will revet to IE 8.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

I did not specifically check the "work offline" status but I had the
same symptoms - download failure - when I entered the download URL
in IE9's address box after navigating to the LotW site and logging
in.

In any case, since I can't replace URLMON.dll with a working version,
backing out IE9 allows me to sync with LotW.

I doubt Microsoft's veracity in describing the problem since IE9 quite
clearly replaces a version of URLMON that works with one that does not.

w9ruk@twcny.rr.com <w9ruk@...>

I likewise have WIN7 64 bit Home Edition on a new Dell XPS8300. I had no
problems at all doing the install, of DXLab Suite(minor path changes on
workspaces). IE9 works perfectly with all reports & other functions. The new
PC came with WIN7 64bit and IE9 installed. I see the discussion here and am
surprised there are so many problems, especially if the OS is being
installed on a new virgin drive.

I am no PC expert, far from it, and just wonder if the problem lies with the
hardware setup more so than the software? Just an idea.

Hope everyone gets theirs working and just wanted to let you know that, on a
new factory machine, mine worked great from the start.

Mike W9RUK

w9ruk@... wrote:
I likewise have WIN7 64 bit Home Edition on a new Dell XPS8300. I had no
problems at all doing the install, of DXLab Suite(minor path changes on
workspaces). IE9 works perfectly with all reports & other functions. The new
PC came with WIN7 64bit and IE9 installed. I see the discussion here and am
surprised there are so many problems, especially if the OS is being
installed on a new virgin drive.

I am no PC expert, far from it, and just wonder if the problem lies with the
hardware setup more so than the software? Just an idea.
That is quite likely. It could be almost any hardware device or combination of devices. Pretty much impossibe to determine without the ability to test every possible combination of devices. Given that thought, it's really pretty amazing that the Windows OS runs as well as it does on so many different combinations of hardware devices.

73, Rich - W3ZJ
Hope everyone gets theirs working and just wanted to let you know that, on a
new factory machine, mine worked great from the start.

Mike W9RUK

CSM&#92;(r&#92;) Gary Huber - AB9M

Joe,

Like you, I use IE only for DXLab and when accessing MS sites. I'm finding
Google Chrome does pretty much everything I want it to do. I downloaded and
use the OpenOffice Suite and find it works great too.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M