Moving LOTW to Win7 system

jackdrew32

Dave:

Migrating LOTW from WinXP to Win7. Cannot get the certificates to transfer. Have tried Using Tqsl.exe in Program x86 folder and
Also TrustedQSL folder on C:// drive. Results are the same. Downloaded the Migration instructions and followed step by step. When I get to the point of TQSLCert.exe, Load certificate step it gives me an error that the certificate is out of date. Don't know how to proceed now because both Certificates that I have are still good according to LOTW properties on XP system. Frustration rampant...

tks es Happy Holidays to all
Jack kk5zy

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Jack,

You must install the latest version (1.13) of the TrustedQSL software
(on the old computer as well as the new one) before starting the
transfer. You can get it here:

http://www.arrl.org/instructions

~iain / N6ML

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM, jackdrew32 <jackdrew32@...> wrote:

Dave:

Migrating LOTW from WinXP to Win7. Cannot get the certificates to transfer. Have tried Using Tqsl.exe in Program x86 folder and
Also TrustedQSL folder on C:// drive. Results are the same. Downloaded the Migration instructions and followed step by step. When I get to the point of TQSLCert.exe, Load certificate step it gives me an error that the certificate is out of date. Don't know how to proceed now because both Certificates that I have are still good according to LOTW properties on XP system. Frustration rampant...

Jack kk5zy

Larry Knain

Are you using TQSL 1.13? I had a problem renewing certs a couple of weeks
ago that gave me a similar response but I was still using TQSL 1.11. Moving
to 1.13 solved my issue. 1.11 had an older root certificate that had expired.
The root cert changed in TQSL 1.13.

73, Larry W6NWS

----- Original Message -----
To: dxlab@...
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:11 PM
Subject: [dxlab] Moving LOTW to Win7 system

Dave:

Jack kk5zy

kk1w2000 <kk1w@...>

In the for what it's worth department...

A friend of mine had similar issues but I'm not sure of TQSL version numbers. His solution with the 'certificate out of date' problem was to change the PC clock to an earlier date. When he did that the certificate was accepted. Once accepted changing the date back to the present didn't break anything, it continued to work OK.

It's an easy thing to try - maybe it will work for you too?

Jim/KK1W

--- In dxlab@..., "jackdrew32" <jackdrew32@...> wrote:

Dave:

Jack kk5zy

jackdrew32

Thanks Iain for the quick reply.

I already had the cert renewal pdf downloaded. Was wanting to get the Win7 system running before I started the upgrade to 1.13. Bit the bullet and now sent the new cert requests to arrl, probably Monday before they reply. Will see how it goes when I complete the upgrade on this XP system

73 es Happy Holidays
Jack kk5zy

Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Moving LOTW to Win7 system

Jack,

You must install the latest version (1.13) of the TrustedQSL software
(on the old computer as well as the new one) before starting the
transfer. You can get it here:

http://www.arrl.org/instructions

~iain / N6ML

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM, jackdrew32 <jackdrew32@...> wrote:

Dave:

Jack kk5zy

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

jackdrew32

Larry:

Yes I was still using TQSL 1.11. Have now downloaded and install TQSL 113 on the XP system and set the TQ5 reqests to arrl. Don't expect the TQ6 files to be processed before Monday.  Also am going ahead and intall 1.13 on the Win7 system so will be ready to complete the migration. Was really trying to hold off on 1.13 until I got the new system running so I could log qso's and upload while waiting to renew my old Certs.
We'll see how it goes.

73 es Happy Holidays
Jack kk5zy

Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Moving LOTW to Win7 system

Are you using TQSL 1.13? I had a problem renewing certs a couple of weeks
ago that gave me a similar response but I was still using TQSL 1.11. Moving
to 1.13 solved my issue. 1.11 had an older root certificate that had expired.
The root cert changed in TQSL 1.13.

73, Larry W6NWS
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:11 PM
Subject: [dxlab] Moving LOTW to Win7 system

Dave:

Jack kk5zy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Larry Knain

For a small change you might get away with the date change but it
will bite you sooner or later. Your certificate is "signed" by another certificate
(which can be signed by another etc etc etc). Technically if any of those
certificates have expired your certificate should be invalid. 1.11 had a
certificate that expired. The way TQSL/TQSLCert uses the certs it appears
that you will only get caught with the expired cert when you try to export or
renew your certificate. It doesn't seem to bother signing ADIF files.

73, Larry W6NWS

Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:22 PM
Subject: [dxlab] Re: Moving LOTW to Win7 system

A friend of mine had similar issues but I'm not sure of TQSL version numbers. His solution with the 'certificate out of date' problem was to change the PC clock to an earlier date. When he did that the certificate was accepted. Once accepted changing the date back to the present didn't break anything, it continued to work OK.

Jim/KK1W

>
> Dave:
>
> Migrating LOTW from WinXP to Win7. Cannot get the certificates to transfer. Have tried Using Tqsl.exe in Program x86 folder and
> Also TrustedQSL folder on C:// drive. Results are the same. Downloaded the Migration instructions and followed step by step. When I get to the point of TQSLCert.exe, Load certificate step it gives me an error that the certificate is out of date. Don't know how to proceed now because both Certificates that I have are still good according to LOTW properties on XP system. Frustration rampant...
>
> tks es Happy Holidays to all
> Jack kk5zy
>

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Larry <w6nws@...> wrote:

For a small change you might get away with the date change but it
will bite you sooner or later. Your certificate is "signed" by another certificate
(which can be signed by another etc etc etc). Technically if any of those
certificates have expired your certificate should be invalid
That is *incorrect*. A signing certificate only has to have been
current when the signature was generated - not when the signature is
being verified. There was a *bug* in the older TrustedQSL software
where it produced an error on trying to export an end-entity cert
which was signed by an expired intermediate CA cert (it wasn't a root
cert, in this case). The newer version allows the export to continue,
as it should.

1.11 had a
certificate that expired. The way TQSL/TQSLCert uses the certs it appears
that you will only get caught with the expired cert when you try to export or
renew your certificate. It doesn't seem to bother signing ADIF files.
It shouldn't have "bothered" in either case... it's valid to continue
using a cert that was signed by a CA cert that has *since* expired.

~iain / N6ML

Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:22 PM
Subject: [dxlab] Re: Moving LOTW to Win7 system

Jim/KK1W

Dave:

Jack kk5zy