From: dxlab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxlab@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
g4wjs
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 6:25 PM
To: dxlab@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dxlab] eQSL/LotW Uploads via ADIF, finishing the job

Hi,

I have just uploaded a log to eQSL using an exported ADIF file since there
were quite a few entries. Everything seems OK except I am left with the
eQSL_sent field for each log record exported as 'R'. How do I shift them to
'S'?

First backup your log using the Backup button on the Configuration
window's Log tab. Then make sure that all of the QSOs you uploaded are
present in the "Log Page Display" (click the Filter panel's X button to
remove any filtering). Finally, use the "Modify QSOs" panel on the "Advanced
Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window:

1. set the "Item ADIF Field Name" selector to APP_DXKEEPER_EQSL_QSL_SENT

2. set the "Item New Value" selector to Y

3. click the Mod button

g4wjs

AA6YQ comments below
I have just uploaded a log to eQSL using an exported ADIF file since there
were quite a few entries. Everything seems OK except I am left with the
eQSL_sent field for each log record exported as 'R'. How do I shift them to
'S'?

First backup your log using the Backup button on the Configuration
window's Log tab. Then make sure that all of the QSOs you uploaded are
present in the "Log Page Display" (click the Filter panel's X button to
remove any filtering). Finally, use the "Modify QSOs" panel on the "Advanced
Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window:

1. set the "Item ADIF Field Name" selector to APP_DXKEEPER_EQSL_QSL_SENT

2. set the "Item New Value" selector to Y

3. click the Mod button
OK, thanks for that Dave. I thought there might be a one button solution like the normal QSL queue route. Perhaps a comment in the documentation where ADIF is explained for larger submissions to LotW and eQSL saying that the batch modification facility should be used to update the xQSL_sent fields from 'R' to 'Y' after the submission is completed. Obviously a further note is also needed to warn users that failed submission records must be left at 'R' or otherwise dealt with.

Bill.

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Had you set the Options panel to "Export ADIF for eQSL.cc" before
clicking the Start button on the Main window's "Export QSOs" tab, those
steps would have been accomplished automatically. For a description of this,
see

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Export.htm#Exporting to eQSL.cc>

This "Export to eQSL.cc" option is mentioned in the first sentence of
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#QSLing via eQSL.cc>

[...]

WADR Dave, I don't see anything in the docs about setting eQSL_sent
status to 'Y' when using the export to ADIF method, other than what is
implied by the following statement:
After logging into eQSL.cc, upload the file you just exported. Since
eQSL.cc does not presently provide a means of verifying that a QSO has
been successfully uploaded, you must inspect the upload report and
manually reset the eQSL Sent, eQSL Date Sent, and eQSL Rcvd fields for
each QSO that was rejected.
Except that QSO records have their eQSL_sent field set to 'R' after
export, so that statement is wrong because you need to change every
successfully uploaded QSO so that eQSL_sent is 'Y'. Otherwise I believe
that a subsequent batch queue operation for eQSL will attempt to resend
all the QSOs via the QSL queue.

Bill.

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
WADR Dave, I don't see anything in the docs about setting eQSL_sent
status to 'Y' when using the export to ADIF method, other than what is
implied by the following statement:
After logging into eQSL.cc, upload the file you just exported. Since
eQSL.cc does not presently provide a means of verifying that a QSO has
been successfully uploaded, you must inspect the upload report and
manually reset the eQSL Sent, eQSL Date Sent, and eQSL Rcvd fields for
each QSO that was rejected.
Except that QSO records have their eQSL_sent field set to 'R' after
export, so that statement is wrong because you need to change every
successfully uploaded QSO so that eQSL_sent is 'Y'. Otherwise I believe
that a subsequent batch queue operation for eQSL will attempt to resend
all the QSOs via the QSL queue.

You're right, Bill, the documentation is inconsistent with the
implementation. I'm thinking that it may be better to have the "Export to
eQSL.cc" option change each exported QSO's "eQSL QSL Sent" item to 'Y'
rather than leave it set to 'R'.

[...]

That does seem to be a reasonable implementation given that the majority of QSOs in the ADIF batch will successfully upload to eQSL and, as the docs currently state, the (few) failures will need to be backed out. This would seem to be least work for the user. It's a shame that eQSL don't provide a machine readable report from an ADIF upload that could be used to sync the outgoing status automatically.

I haven't tried a LotW ADIF upload, can I assume the same issues exist there too?

Bill.

Richard B Drake

I think it needs an update button similar to the one on the QSL card page. In this way one can easily update the eQSL/LoTW sent fields after a successful upload has been completed.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Dave AA6YQ wrote:

You're right, Bill, the documentation is inconsistent with the
implementation. I'm thinking that it may be better to have the "Export to
eQSL.cc" option change each exported QSO's "eQSL QSL Sent" item to 'Y'
rather than leave it set to 'R'.

+++ more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+++ No. The standard LotW interface is batch-oriented, and thus can be used
to upload as many QSOs as you like.

+++ The standard eQSL interface is more interactive, enabling individual
QSOs to be uploaded and providing immediate accept/reject feedback -- but if
you have a lot of QSOs to upload, the "export ADIF for eQSL.cc" is
recommended -- and currently requires the manual status update using the
Advanced window's "Modify QSOs" panel.

AA6YQ comments below
I think it needs an update button similar to the one on the QSL card
page. In this way one can easily update the eQSL/LoTW sent fields after
a successful upload has been completed.

That would require somehow remembering which QSOs were uploaded to eQSL.cc so that when the button your propose is clicked, DXKeeper would be able to update those QSOs. I think it's better to assume that all uploaded QSOs are accepted and let the user deal with exceptions (if any) manually.

Richard B Drake

The danger I see there is that the user may have never uploaded the ADIF file at all. I agree about dealing with exceptions but I have to say that DXKeeper does such a good job of checking for complete log entries that I rarely ever see an upload exception.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Dave AA6YQ wrote:

That would require somehow remembering which QSOs were uploaded to eQSL.cc so that when the button your propose is clicked, DXKeeper would be able to update those QSOs. I think it's better to assume that all uploaded QSOs are accepted and let the user deal with exceptions (if any) manually.

AA6YQ comments below
The danger I see there is that the user may have never uploaded the ADIF
file at all. I agree about dealing with exceptions but I have to say
that DXKeeper does such a good job of checking for complete log entries
that I rarely ever see an upload exception.

I could have "Export ADIF for eQSL.cc" set each exported QSO's "eQSL QSL Sent" to 'U' and provide a button that when clicked filters the Log Page Display for all QSOs whose "eQSL QSL Sent" is 'U' and then changes each 'U' to a 'Y'.