From: dxlab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxlab@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
g4wjs
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:36 PM
To: dxlab@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dxlab] DXLab Sometimes Breaks Windows Task Switching

Hi,

I notice that DXLab applications sort themselves in the active task list so
that Alt+TAB always goes to the next window for the application that has the
focus. I am finding that on a busy XP SP3 system sometimes this breaks the
system Alt+TAB task switching and I get stuck with only the windows of one
of the DXLab applications and cannot Alt+TAB to any other task. Also
sometimes the problem is even worse where the task bar itself becomes broken
and clicking items for tasks doesn't work. The problem has, so far, been
resolved by killing the active task and restarting it.

DXLab applications play no active role in determining their position on
the Windows task list; the "sorting" you mention above is accomplished by
Windows. If Alt+TAB is not functioning correctly on your system, that's most
likely due to a defect in Windows, perhaps exposed by a shortfall in needed
resources.

Richard B Drake

Closing the DXLab applications might free up enough CPU to allow your machine to recover but that's a result of the problem, not likely the cause of it.

The next time that happens to you try the following:

1) Open task manager (since the machine is unresponsive that might take a while).
2) Click on the "Show processes from all users" button.
3) Click on the CPU heading once or twice to sort the list in descending order by CPU usage.
4) See what process is chewing up most of your CPU

It might be task manager itself but we know that's overloaded so look for the next one down the list. Chances are it will be something that you don't know why it's there or what it's doing. There is a good chance that it is part of your anti malware program that has become confused and is beating up your machine. Search the Internet for a solution. You are undoubtedly not the only one who has had the same problem and there is a good chance you'll find a solution.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

AA6YQ comments below

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, Rich - W3ZJ <rich@...> wrote:

[...]

I think you are misunderstanding, I probably wasn't clear in my original post. The machine is not at all unresponsive in this case, task switching works instantaneously as normal but the switch just cycles around the windows of one of the DXLab applications that has two windows open. For example Commander or DXView. Also if it helps anyone diagnose this, it tries to switch to another task but seems to get rapidly switched back automatically to the original DXLab application. So for example I might see a flash of Spot Collector getting the focus, but it almost instantly jumps back to the application it is stuck on.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Regards
Bill
G4WJS.

Dave AA6YQ

+++ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+++ This is not something I will attempt to diagnose. The task switcher is a
part of Windows, and that is where the responsible defect most likely lies.

Richard B Drake

Yes, I did misunderstand your point. However, I just tried Alt-Tab here and it works as it should, cycling through each open window. However, I am on Windows 7 with Aero Glass enabled which works differently than Windows XP did. What OS are you using?

73, Rich - W2ZJ