DXView Ctrl-enterturns rotor on low bands

Chuck, WS1L

My usualy method of checking calls for need has been to enter them in the
capture window and then see what DXView has to say. I recently decided to
try entering the call in DXView and control-entering. This should give me a
propagation lookup as well as a callbook lookup and populate the capture
window. It does all that, but it also turns my rotor to the proper heading.

All well and good, but the rig was on 160, and the beam is not that big!

So, I checked DXView config, made sure rotor control was set to only accept
directives for 20-10 meters. It was.

I guess DXView doesn't know what band I'm on, so it turns the rotor. I like
the ability to get everything ready for a station, but turning the rotor
this way and that might be a bit much. I see shift-enter does a qrz lookup.

Is there a way to get the benefits of qrz, propagation, and capture pre-fill
without the rotor needlessly hunting? Priority for me would be:

Capture pre-fill
rotor if 20-10 meters
Propagation
qrz lookup

Not a big deal, and others may use the features differently so may have
different needs.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

--

===================
Chuck Chandler

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
[...]

The "CTRL-Enter to rotate antenna" option was implemented long before the
"Directive Acceptance by Band" panel was added to the Configuration window's
"Rotator Control" panel. When the "Directive Acceptance by Band" panel was
added, I didn't think to have the "CTRL-Enter to rotate antenna" option
check this panel.

Anyone see a problem with making it do so?

AA6YQ comments below
[...]

After thinking about this a bit more, I don't think consulting the
"Directive Acceptance by Band" panel when the user strikes CTRL-Enter in the
Main window's Callsign box is appropriate.

There are times when one is chasing DX on a band whose antenna is not
rotatable. If a needed station is announced on a band whose antenna is
rotatable, it's desireable to initiate the rotation without having to first
QSY.

Referring to your priorities above, you can accomplish these by typing a
callsign and either striking the Enter key (if you don't want rotation) or
striking CTRL-Enter if you do want rotation.

Chuck, WS1L

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

AA6YQ comments below
There are times when one is chasing DX on a band whose antenna is not
rotatable. If a needed station is announced on a band whose antenna is
rotatable, it's desireable to initiate the rotation without having to first
QSY.
I agree. If I am tuning around on 160 and see a spot for a new one on 15,
then shift-entering that call will rotate. That is a good thing.

Referring to your priorities above, you can accomplish these by typing a
callsign and either striking the Enter key (if you don't want rotation) or
striking CTRL-Enter if you do want rotation.
Is there a way to get no rotation but still get the capture window
pre-filled? I guess my objective is to not have to enter the call in
DXView, then if it is needed enter it again in Capture.

Of course, simply doing what I have been doing, entering it in Capture, does
the DXView thing to see if it is needed, and I can Control-enter or
alt-enter to rotate as needed. I guess the bottom line is that for my needs
I have been doing it the right way so far. I had this idea in the back of
my head that it was more 'proper' to use DXView for this purpose.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Reply to sender<aa6yq@ambersoft.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bdxlab%5D%20DXView%20Ctrl-enterturns%20rotor%20on%20low%20bands>| Reply
to group<dxlab@yahoogroups.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bdxlab%5D%20DXView%20Ctrl-enterturns%20rotor%20on%20low%20bands>| Reply
3)
Recent Activity:

- New Polls<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dxlab/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJnc3ZnaWlmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMDc4MzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3Zwb2xscwRzdGltZQMxMjk2MjUxNzI5>

Switch to: Text-Only<dxlab-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
Daily Digest <dxlab-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>
of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
.

+++ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+++ You're right that by depressing the CTRL key after typing a callsing in
DXView, you can both rotate your antenna to its short-path heading and
populate DXKeeper's Capture window by strikign CTRL-Enter instead of Enter.
But rather than add more options to DXView to "disconnect" populating the
Capture window from antenna rotation, I suggest that you continue to use the
Capture window, as it provides all the functionality you seek.