DXKeeper Log Frequency Error

Bob WB2NVR

Hi Dave -

When I opened my log for VP5RZS to enter some QSL's, I noticed that the frequency was not displayed correctly for many (possibly all) Q's. I loaded a few backups, and they were all the same.

I'll email direct an ADIF export of the log, along with a number of backups and the Errorlog file. The backups don't have any additional Q's, just QSL information updates. DXKeeper version is 7.6.2.

If there is anything you can do to help resolve this, I'd really appreciate it. Other logs for other calls all seem to be OK.

Thanks for your help!

Bob WB2NVR

Dave AA6YQ

What do you mean by "the frequency was not displayed correctly", Bob?

I did look in the ADIF file you sent me. The very first QSO -- YE8A -- has a band of 10m and a frequency of 28025 Mhz, which is incorrect; the frequency should be 28.025 Mhz. Perhaps other QSOs have this problem as well.

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, "w2rzs" <wb2nvr@...> wrote:

Hi Dave -

When I opened my log for VP5RZS to enter some QSL's, I noticed that the frequency was not displayed correctly for many (possibly all) Q's. I loaded a few backups, and they were all the same.

I'll email direct an ADIF export of the log, along with a number of backups and the Errorlog file. The backups don't have any additional Q's, just QSL information updates. DXKeeper version is 7.6.2.

If there is anything you can do to help resolve this, I'd really appreciate it. Other logs for other calls all seem to be OK.

Thanks for your help!

Bob WB2NVR

wb2nvr <wb2nvr@...>

Correct - all of the Q's have the incorrect frequency listed in the log. In some cases, the frequency is missing. As of the last time I opened this log, and made a backup, everything was OK. I use the same DXK program with 5 other logs, and all of the other's are OK. I don't know what I might have done to cause this, but all of the backups that I opened displayed the same problem. Other call signs open OK. Frequency is set to 3 decimal places.

Is there any way to correct the frequencies? The original log was imported from N1MM, and I still have that log.

Bob

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave -

I just noticed in my W2RZS log, in DXKeeper, the frequency is shown as 18.13497. In the configuration, the frequency precision is set to 3. I don't think that was always the case. Also noticed the frequency listed in SpotCollector is 14,071.0, which doesn't appear to be in the same format as DXKeeper.

Does this give you any clue?

Thanks!

Bob WB2NVR

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, "wb2nvr" <wb2nvr@...> wrote:

[...]

One more observation. I just changed the frequency precision to 2, and the frequency on the log page changed to 10.121. I changed back to 3, and there was no change.

I just opened a .txt file for VP5RZS, and find that in most cases, a band was recorded, but not an exact frequency. There are some cases of 21025, 28.0, 28, 14175, etc. I still don't know why the frequency is displaying incorrectly, but think that if we can just delete the frequency, and leave the band info, we should be OK. I'll give that a try, but would appreciate your comments on what seems to have gone wrong.

[...]

AA6YQ comments below
--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, "wb2nvr" <wb2nvr@...> wrote:

Correct - all of the Q's have the incorrect frequency listed in the log. In some cases, the frequency is missing. As of the last time I opened this log, and made a backup, everything was OK.

Are you saying that your YE8A QSO's frequency was once correct in DXKeeper, but subsequently changed to 28025 MHZ?
I use the same DXK program with 5 other logs, and all of the other's are OK. I don't know what I might have done to cause this, but all of the backups that I opened displayed the same problem. Other call signs open OK. Frequency is set to 3 decimal places.

The "Frequency precision" setting governs how frequencies are displayed in the Log Page Display; it doesn't have any affect on how frequencies are stored in the log.
Is there any way to correct the frequencies? The original log was imported from N1MM, and I still have that log.

What frequency is recorded in the N1MM-generated ADIF record for your YE8A QSO?
Correcting frequency errors like that of your YE8A QSO require dividing the frequency by 1000; there is currently no way to apply such an action to all QSOs in the Log Page Display.
Are all of the incorrect frequencies similar -- off by a factor of 1000?
In those QSOs that are missing frequencies, are frequencies specified in the N1MM-generated ADIF file that you imported?

DXKeeper logs frequencies in megahertz because ADIF records frequencies in megahertz. Providing the option for DXKeeper to display frequencies in kilohertz is "on the list" -- but DXKeeper will continue to represent frequencies in the log file using megahertz.

The fact that DXKeeper can display frequencies with user-specified precision has nothing to do with your log containing QSOs whose frequencies are incorrect.

Please take a look in your N1MM-generated ADIF files at the QSOs in question to see what frequencies were imported into DXKeeper.

[...]

That's correct. The valid range for the Precision setting is 3 to 6. If you specify a precision of less than 3, DXKeeper uses 3. This is described in the documentation.

I just opened a .txt file for VP5RZS, and find that in most cases, a band was recorded, but not an exact frequency.

By ".txt" file, are you referring to the ADIF file generated by N1MM that you imported into DXKeeper?
There are some cases of 21025, 28.0, 28, 14175, etc.

In an ADIF file, frequency tags that specify 21025 and 14175 are incorrect -- they mean 21025 mhz and 14175 mhz respectively.
I still don't know why the frequency is displaying incorrectly, but think that if we can just delete the frequency, and leave the band info, we should be OK. I'll give that a try, but would appreciate your comments on what seems to have gone wrong.

If the .txt file you refer to above is the ADIF file you imported, then what went wrong is that N1MM allowed you to log invalid band-frequency combinations.
The next release of DXKeeper flags an imported QSO as Broken if its band and frequency aren't consistent.