I've misplaced my QSOs

WA2BCK

Dear All,
After downloading several updates to DXkeeper, I seem to have lost my log
book. The .mdb file contains zero QSOs. Does anyone have any idea what
happened and how to recover my log?

I would like to be able to revert back to a release toward the end of May
which is the latest known app version that I saw my 2500 or so QSO's. I am
currently at version 6.9.3. Can you help revert with a procedure on how to
go backwards in app version? Thanks for all help!

Tom
WA2BCK

Dave AA6YQ

Reverting to a previous release will not restore QSOs to your log
file.

Regarding "After downloading several updates to DXkeeper...", did you
use the DXLab Launcher to update DXKeeper, or did you do it manually?

Please open the Log tab of DXKeeper's Config window. In the "Log
File" panel at the top, what is the log file pathname shown there?

What version of Windows are you running?

--- In dxlab@..., "WA2BCK" <wa2bck@...> wrote:

Dear All,
After downloading several updates to DXkeeper, I seem to have lost
my log
book. The .mdb file contains zero QSOs. Does anyone have any idea
what
happened and how to recover my log?

I would like to be able to revert back to a release toward the end
of May
which is the latest known app version that I saw my 2500 or so
QSO's. I am
currently at version 6.9.3. Can you help revert with a procedure
on how to
go backwards in app version? Thanks for all help!

Tom
WA2BCK

Ken - K4XL

WA2BCK wrote:
Dear All,
After downloading several updates to DXkeeper, I seem to have lost my log
book. The .mdb file contains zero QSOs. Does anyone have any idea what
happened and how to recover my log?
Did you keep a backup of your log in the DXKeeper Backup directory? If you aren't sure where they might be, go to DXKeeper's Config/Log tab. There you will find the directory locations listed for your log and the backups.

Have you done a search for *.mdb for all the drives on your system? With any luck, you will find a copy of wa2bck.mdb that will have your log info intact.

I would like to be able to revert back to a release toward the end of May
which is the latest known app version that I saw my 2500 or so QSO's. I am
currently at version 6.9.3. Can you help revert with a procedure on how to
go backwards in app version? Thanks for all help!

Tom
WA2BCK

You might try using Windows wonderful "Restore" function if you discover that your log contents have truly disappeared and you neglected to have a backup.

Once you have your logbook data back, instead of reverting to an earlier version of DXKeeper, you should upgrade to the latest version which will allow you to have a backup of your logbook created once each day that you open it.

I hope that you recover your data without too much difficulty.

Ken K4XL
k4xl@...

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr

rojomn <rojomn@...>

Windows restore will not help. It applies only to system files and does not
touch any user data.

Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
N 44.082147 W 92.513085 1050' EN34rb
Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

[...]

6:04 AM

Ken - K4XL

rojomn wrote:
Windows restore will not help. It applies only to system files and does not
touch any user data.

Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
N 44.082147 W 92.513085 1050' EN34rb
Hierro Candente, Batir de repente
Of course, you are right, Gil. I have been using Ghost for so long instead of Restore that I forgot how limited it was.

Ken K4XL
k4xl@...

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr

rojomn <rojomn@...>

I also use ghost and it has saved my rear end many times.

Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
N 44.082147 W 92.513085 1050' EN34rb
Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

Windows restore will not help. It applies only to system files and does
not
touch any user data.

Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
N 44.082147 W 92.513085 1050' EN34rb
Hierro Candente, Batir de repente
Of course, you are right, Gil. I have been using Ghost for so long
instead of Restore that I forgot how limited it was.

Ken K4XL
k4xl@...

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr

6:04 AM

CSM&#92;(r&#92;) Gary Huber - AB9M

While RESTORE may bring back the MDB files, its going to also restore many other files. Make sure you save your recovered log file in a safe place. If you have the same VISTA experience as I, most likely you'll wind up uninstalling DXLab Suite from all folders of your computer and then find you can't reinstall it because there are recovered uninstall files now in place. But there is a solution, Dave has put a link to a freeware uninstaller at the wiki site.

Gary - AB9M

[...]

I just remembered it was NOT System Restore but Back-up Restore from a USB Simple Drive that caused my problem with VISTA. Still the complete uninstall of DXLab (after saving the log file) and a clean install in the ADMIN folder made everything work. While I agree with others comments about the security issues / risks of running under ADMIN, I'll accept the risks in order to use all the features of DXLab.

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Rd
Bloomington, IL 61705
(309-662-0604)
www.csm-gh.com
glhuber@...
gary.huber@...

[...]

Thank you for trying to help me out here. Here is some more information.

I run N1MM logger for contesting and my general station log is DXKeeper. Both logs use WA2BCK.mdb as the name of the database. I am using Windows Vista. When I update anything in the DXLabSuite, I log in as administrator, open up Launcher and then update from there using the update button. The log file path name is C:&#92;ProgramFiles&#92;DXLabSuite&#92;DXKeeper&#92;Database&#92;WA2BCK.mdb.

Does this info help? Thanks again.

Tom
WA2BCK

Reverting to a previous release will not restore QSOs to your log
file.

Regarding "After downloading several updates to DXkeeper...", did you
use the DXLab Launcher to update DXKeeper, or did you do it manually?

Please open the Log tab of DXKeeper's Config window. In the "Log
File" panel at the top, what is the log file pathname shown there?

What version of Windows are you running?

--- In dxlab@..., "WA2BCK" <wa2bck@...> wrote:

> Dear All,
> After downloading several updates to DXkeeper, I seem to have lost
my log
> book. The .mdb file contains zero QSOs. Does anyone have any idea
what
> happened and how to recover my log?
>
> I would like to be able to revert back to a release toward the end
of May
> which is the latest known app version that I saw my 2500 or so
QSO's. I am
> currently at version 6.9.3. Can you help revert with a procedure
on how to
> go backwards in app version? Thanks for all help!
>
> Tom
> WA2BCK

Dave AA6YQ

As long as your logging into the "account named Administrator", that all
sounds reasonable, Tom.

Please log into the "account named Administrator", and use Windows Explorer
to navigate to

C:&#92;Program Files&#92;DXLab Suite&#92;DXKeeper&#92;Databases

Assuming the file name WA2BCK.mdb is present there, please place it in a zip
archive, attach that zip archive to an email message, and send it to me at
aa6yq@... . Thanks!