SpotCollector - Spot Origin?

wj_henderson

Hi

This is so obvious that it has bound to have been requested before but
I couldn't find it.

In SpotCollector when you hover over Callsign with your cursor you are
told which continent the spot came from. Hovering over Pfx tells you
the name of the entity of the spotted call.

Could you do the same for the Source as for Pfx? As you hover over the
Source's callsign your told which entity the spot was made from.

Yes, this is trivial but it would make me happy (hi).

73

Bill

Dave AA6YQ

This could be implemented, but would increase the processing required for
each new spot database entry.

Why is the spotting station's DXCC entity of interest?

This is so obvious that it has bound to have been requested before but
I couldn't find it.

In SpotCollector when you hover over Callsign with your cursor you are
told which continent the spot came from. Hovering over Pfx tells you
the name of the entity of the spotted call.

Could you do the same for the Source as for Pfx? As you hover over the
Source's callsign your told which entity the spot was made from.

Yes, this is trivial but it would make me happy (hi).

73

Bill

N1BAA - Jose Castillo <n1baa@...>

Bill,

I am not sure there is adequate "value added" to this compared to the increase in processing required.

Jose - N1BAA

Dave AA6YQ wrote:

This could be implemented, but would increase the processing required for
each new spot database entry.
Why is the spotting station's DXCC entity of interest?
This is so obvious that it has bound to have been requested before but
I couldn't find it.
In SpotCollector when you hover over Callsign with your cursor you are
told which continent the spot came from. Hovering over Pfx tells you
the name of the entity of the spotted call.
Could you do the same for the Source as for Pfx? As you hover over the
Source's callsign your told which entity the spot was made from.
Yes, this is trivial but it would make me happy (hi).
73
Bill

wj_henderson

Hi

Thanks to both of you for getting back so soon.

When working the likes of 80m or 40m it's often useful to know where the
spot came from to help you decide whether or not a contact is likely. I
don't want to limit SpotCollector to Europe or Africa because the situation
is different on higher bands - as is the time of day or time of year or time
of 11 year solar cycle...

However if processing time is an issue then maybe it's not worth doing.

Thanks for considering it; much appreciated.

Am I allowed another question on another topic? Does DxLabs cater for DXCC
Satellite. I just had my fist 2 way qso via satellite this afternoon (hi).

Vy 73

Bill

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
Thanks to both of you for getting back so soon.

When working the likes of 80m or 40m it's often useful to know where the
spot came from to help you decide whether or not a contact is likely.

The ODX column in the Spot Database Display shows the distance between
your QTH and the spotting station; this is quite helpful in judging the
"relevance" on the spot. The Band filter optionally lets you specify a
"maximum distance to closest spotting station" for each band.

I don't want to limit SpotCollector to Europe or Africa because the
situation
is different on higher bands - as is the time of day or time of year or time
of 11 year solar cycle...

The Band filter optionally lets you establish "begin" and "end" times for
each band, and if desired tie these to local sunrise and sunset times.

Am I allowed another question on another topic? Does DxLabs cater for DXCC
Satellite. I just had my fist 2 way qso via satellite this afternoon (hi).

Congrats on the Satellite QSO! Yes, you can log Satellite QSOs and upload
them to LotW; you should appropriately set the Propagation Mode, Satellite
Name, and Satellite Mode on the Config window's Defaults tab prior to
working a Satellite pass; then you return to ionospheric QSOs, restore these
settings.

To assess your DXCC Satellite process, filter the Log Page Display with

PROP_MODE='SAT'

and then generate a DXCC progress report.

wj_henderson

Dave

Thanks for getting back to me with your suggestions.

If the truth be told I've just wasted your valuable time. Time you
could have put to better use.

Your programmes do so much for their user that he or she expects them
to do everything. Anything not covered becomes a glaring omission;
some feature that becomes hard to live without. In this case
the "missing" feature was to tell me the name of the spotting entity.
I can look it up on a list or look at the spot on DXView's map. Time
for me to take myself aside and give myself a good slap.

Satellites: thanks for the info.

vy 73

Bill

AA6YQ comments below