Topics

call/county

Steve K8JQ

I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and recorded the calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three letters after the slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.

When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the call sign. And when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be interpreted as a suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is shown in DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.

The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete the /county annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.

Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county as it is but make DXKeeper happy and accurate?

The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be able to use it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper accommodate it.

Thanks.

Steve K8JQ

--
Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ Veritas vos Liberabit

N1BAA - Jose Castillo <n1baa@...>

Steve!
I recommend after you have imported the adif file from N1MM to filter the log for just those QSOs...
Then using the ADVANCED filter, change all the DXCCPREFIXes to "K" for the US....and also change the states to "FL".

This will cause the state and the country prefix AND state to be correct.

Jose - N1BAA

Steve wrote:

[...]
http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/> Veritas vos Liberabit

Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra@...>

Hi Steve,

From what you said I get the impression that you added the /HAM etc and that was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did, then IMO I think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No exceptions!

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com

[...]

Art,
Steve is correct, they were signing /HAM /NAS etc.... as does every mobile does in most State QSO parties.....

Would be nice if there was an automatic function for State QSO parties to take the /"county name" and have it populated into DXK seemlessly! <hint Dave><Smiling>

Jose - N1BAA

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

Hi Steve,

>From what you said I get the impression that you added the /HAM etc
and that
was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did, then IMO I
think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No
exceptions!
73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com
>I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and recorded the
> calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three letters after the
> slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
>
> When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the call sign. And
> when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be interpreted as a
> suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is shown in
> DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
>
> The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete the /county
> annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
>
> Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county as it is but
> make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
>
> The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be able to use
> it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper accommodate it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ
>
> --
> Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/>
Veritas vos Liberabit

When a QSO with Art is uploaded to LotW, is the callsign N4PJ or N4PJ/CLA?
If the latter, does this require Art to obtain an N4PJ/CLA certificate from
LotW?

73,

Daev, AA6YQ

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

Hi Steve,

>From what you said I get the impression that you added the /HAM etc
and that
was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did, then IMO
think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No
exceptions!

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com
>I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and recorded the
> calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three letters after
the
> slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
>
> When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the call sign. And
> when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be interpreted as a
> suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is shown in
> DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
>
> The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete the /county
> annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
>
> Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county as it is but
> make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
>
> The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be able to use
> it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper accommodate
it.

> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ
>
> --
> Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/>
Veritas vos Liberabit

6:32 PM

N1BAA - Jose Castillo <n1baa@...>

Will know in the morning! I have emailed a TOP NOTCH LOTW/MOBILE USER!!

Jose

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> >From what you said I get the impression that you added the /HAM etc
> and that
> was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did, then IMO
> think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No
> exceptions!
>
> 73 Art W2NRA
> "Keep to the Code!"
> w2nra.com
<mailto:steve65%40suddenlink.net> <mailto:steve65%40suddenlink.net>>

> >I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and recorded the
> > calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three letters after
the
> > slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
> >
> > When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the call sign. And
> > when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be interpreted as a
> > suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is shown in
> > DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
> >
> > The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete the /county
> > annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
> >
> > Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county as it is but
> > make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
> >
> > The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be able to use
> > it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper accommodate
it.

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Steve K8JQ
> >
> > --
> > Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> > http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/>
<http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/>>
> Veritas vos Liberabit

Rex

The reason for them sending their call as /HAM or /CLA is that there were many mobiles and when they changed counties they sent the county so that we outside FL would know that they were in a differant county. One station was planning for 40 counties this weekend.

Rex

[...]

Charles Morrison <cfmorris@...>

I've typed this email 3 times now, each time changing it.

I'd say off the bat, its probably not a good idea to submit the mobile
contacts to LOTW. Technically, it would require certificates for each of
the counties visited. Without that, each one will be signed using the home
(as I call mine) qth, and not the correct one. Adding the /county to the
end only confuses things more as the callsigns definitely wont match, since
Writelog will export the log as all saying W5WMU and not one with the /.

Jim WB5AAA raised the question about cards. I'd say that's one benefit of
sending the /county. If the out of state op logs the /county and submits
the call, Pat can easily find it and confirm that he was in that county at
that time.

Not sure what the correct answer is, just a few cents from the person who
will ultimately make the decision on W5WMU's LOTW submissions.

Charlie

KI5XP

[...]

4/24/2008
6:32 PM

9:39 AM

Rex

Part of the reason for putting the /CLA /BAY etc. is for the scoring of the station as not a DUPE in the log

Rex

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

Hi Steve,

>From what you said I get the impression that you added the /HAM etc
and that
was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did, then IMO
think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No
exceptions!

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com
>I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and recorded
the
> calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three letters after
the
> slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
>
> When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the call sign.
And
> when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be interpreted as
> suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is shown in
> DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
>
> The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete the /county
> annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
>
> Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county as it is but
> make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
>
> The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be able to use
> it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper accommodate
it.

> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ
>
> --
> Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/>
Veritas vos Liberabit

6:32 PM

Charles Morrison <cfmorris@...>

I had originally added this to my email as well, depends on the other
stations logging program whether or not it dupes it.

I agree with Art, log it as it's sent, but don't expect it on LOTW. If I
were to submit them, they'd all be without the /. It will however aid in
cards if they're desired.

Charlie

KI5XP

[...]

That sounds like an arbitrary software limitation, Rex. From a pure
information perspective, there is no difference between

(call/county = N4DX/CLA)

and

(call = N4DX, county = Lake)

If you can determine whether (call/county = N4DX/CLA) is a dup, you
can also determine whether (call = N4DX, county = Lake) is a dup.

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

Hi Steve,

>From what you said I get the impression that you added the /
HAM etc
and that
was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did,
then IMO
think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No
exceptions!

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com
>I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and
recorded
the
> calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three
letters after
the
> slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
>
> When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the call
sign.
And
> when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be
interpreted as
> suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is shown
in
> DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
>
> The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete the
/county
> annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
>
> Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county as
it is but
> make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
>
> The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be
able to use
> it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper
accommodate
it.

> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ
>
> --
> Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/
subscribe/>
Veritas vos Liberabit

4/24/2008
6:32 PM

Danny Douglas <n7dc@...>

The county should be placed within either the QTH or notes area of your logs, not in the callsign block. Most software is built to handle it elsewhere and not within the CALL box, as it confuses the issue when it tries to look up the country.
I did it that way in the Virginia QSO Party, and it works just fine.

Danny Douglas
N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB
All 2 years or more (except Novice)
Pls QSL direct, buro, or LOTW preferred,
I Do not use, but as a courtesy do upload to eQSL for
those who do.

> was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did, then IMO
> think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No
> exceptions!
>
> 73 Art W2NRA
> "Keep to the Code!"
> w2nra.com

One more Note on /BAY etc. In Most state QSO Parties the mobiles include the county with /xxx

Rex

Charles Morrison wrote:

[...]

Your correct however when I look at my dupe sheet during the contest I don't have time to go search the log to see if they were in xyz county. the /cty shows immediately with the /etc.
Thats why I include the /cty and I suspect most others. I'm TOO busy trying to dig calls out of the QRM .

The Mobile Op does it so me and the other tuner knows they are fresh meat again.

Rex

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

Hi Steve,

>From what you said I get the impression that you added the /
HAM etc

and that
was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you did,
then IMO

think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period. No
exceptions!

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com
>I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and
recorded
the
> calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three
letters after

the

> slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
>
> When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the call
sign.
And
> when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be
interpreted as
> suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is shown
in

> DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
>
> The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete the
/county

> annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
>
> Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county as
it is but

> make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
>
> The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be
able to use

> it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper
accommodate

it.

> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ
>
> --
> Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/
subscribe/>

Veritas vos Liberabit

6:32 PM

You are working around a deficiency in your contest software.

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

Hi Steve,

>From what you said I get the impression that you added the /
HAM etc

and that
was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you
did,
then IMO

think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period.
No
exceptions!

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com
>I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and
recorded

the
> calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three
letters after

the

> slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
>
> When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the
call
sign.

And
> when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be
interpreted as

> suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is
shown
in

> DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
>
> The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete
the
/county

> annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
>
> Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county
as
it is but

> make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
>
> The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be
able to use

> it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper
accommodate

it.

> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ
>
> --
> Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/
subscribe/>

Veritas vos Liberabit

Date:
4/24/2008
6:32 PM

Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...>

I would actually classify this issue as a deficiency in the lack of a standard. There has been a discussion on another reflector regarding this specific issue (uploading to eQSL and LotW and what callsign to use).

One position (which I support) is to strip the callsign down to it's FCC issued base. Then upload your log using that callsign. If you are a mobile station, within the tQSL application you setup the Station Locations for each county you activated. If you are a fixed station, the mobile callsigns would also be stripped to the FCC issued base.

The other position is to upload what is sent. This would require 25 certificate requests from ARRL if you visited 25 counties.

I operated the Florida contest this past weekend and listened to the mobile stations intently to see how they signed. There was a lot of inconsistency. Some mobiles would sign with a base call when QSOs were fast and furious, then they would throw in the /CTY designator on occasion. Other mobiles were very consistent using /CTY every time.

If you decide to upload what you logged (KØRC/CHS) instead of the base callsign (KØRC) a number of things quickly fall apart. The first is QRZ.COM is not going to provide a match. Second, with the double blind system of LotW you won't know how the mobile uploaded his log. The third has already been revealed that importing to a logging system will create DXCC identity issues.

I heard callsigns being transmitted as: KØRC, KØRC/M, KØRC/CHS, and KØRC/M/CHS. And one fellow called like this: CQ FQP DE KØRC KØRC/CHS The question is what would you log in that case?

The "saving grace" at this point is the LotW system cannot be used for county hunting awards. I believe a logging standard should be developed and recommended for these contests. This would bring a consistent method for dealing with the growing popularity of state QSO Parties and their unique logging situations.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Date:

Art Burke <aburkefl@...>

"You'll get no more rifles from Kincaid!"
Oops! Wrong movie!

This issue is a real bear. I am now in the process of
establishing "locations" in TQSL for every county I operated from
during the FQP this past weekend.

To get the data to match in LoTW you need to either (a) get a
certificate for every county from which you operated or (b) create
MyQTH locations and locations in TQSL to reflect the appropriate
county.

I operated from 22 different counties this weekend. I think it would
be burdensome to both me and the ARRL LoTW desk to obtain a
certificate for N4PJ/CLA, N4PJ/HAM, etc., than it would be to make
the administrative effort exclusively from my end.

My info at QRZ.COM reflects that if you want to match my records via
LoTW, you need only have N4PJ as the all. My data at the LoTW site
will accurately reflect the county from which I operated. Since CQ
does not yet accept county information via LoTW, it is mostly
irrelevant.

Part of the burden was/is on me anyway. For those seeking
verification of any of those counties, I wanted to have DXKeeper
retain the information for me and not have to refer to
additional "off-line" document for verification.

Not to mention the burden of logging N4PJ/CLA, N4PJ/HAM and trying
to keep track of what appear to be different calls.

I can just see the staff at the LoTW desk following a state QSO
party and requests come out of the woodwork for county location
certificates! Until the current system is vastly streamlined,
creating individual certificates does *not* appear to be the most
practical approach.

Art - N4PJ

--- In dxlab@..., Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

From what you said I get the impression that you added the /HAM
[...]

Tnx for all the Q's Quack! Nice to hear you on the air.
My personal record for Qs this past weekend goes jointly to
both K4PIC and K4LTA - they both worked me 17 times!

Art - N4PJ

--- In dxlab@..., "k7qq" <k7qq@...> wrote:

[...]

I addressed this in a previous response, but...

It requires some administrative effort on the part of the
originator, but it isn't all that bad.

Using my Cabrillo file (since it is in perfect chronological
sequence), I identified the counties where I worked and the time
ranges for each county. I created a QTH in DXKeeper for each of
those counties, filtered the log display so only those QSOs worked
from that county appeared and set the QTH to the appropriate county.
I had to do that 22 times (for 22 different counties, obviously).

I had 915 QSOs in those 22 counties (there were a few "repeats"
where I had to either backtrack or cross a county already
activated), yet it only took me about an hour to edit everything
(maybe a tad less than an hour) so all the QSOs are marked with the
appropriate county in the QSL section (where MyQTH appears).

So, the first part of the "battle" is settled. When someone requests
a QSL for a specific county, I don't have my log "junked up" with a
bunch of stuff like N4PJ/CLA and N4PJ/HAM, etc., yet it's still easy
to identify the proper county.

AND, AND, AND....

After building 22 new locations in TQSL it is almost trivial to
upload the data to LoTW and have the data reflect the proper county.
Not that anyone can use it for an award - who knows when CQ and ARRL
will finally get together AND CQ WILL PROVIDE SOME FUNDS TO SUPPORT
LOTW so it can be used for awards other than those solely from the
ARRL arena!

As I stated earlier, obtaining individual certificates for each
county operation is both onerous and burdensome for the operator and
for the LoTW staff. There are a few guys (6?) who have put out all
the counties on CW and a much larger number who have operated from
all the counties on SSB. For them (and multiple other mobiles who
are on the air on an almost daily basis) to have to obtain

--- In dxlab@..., "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@...>
wrote:

[...]

Date:
4/24/2008
6:32 PM

4/27/2008
9:39 AM

Art Burke <aburkefl@...>

I have written software applications, but nothing nearly as complex
as either DXLabs or N1MM.

Because of limitations discovered in N1MM, I used N3FJP this past
weekend for the FQP. I found some shortcomings there as well. The
problems with both (and with others?) is that the rover in the state
for the QSO party seems to be a forgotten issue!

The guys using N1MM are forced to create a separate database for
each operating county and change databases when they cross county
lines. Needless to say, this essentially precludes straddling the
county line. Some state QSO parties permit line-straddling, some do
not. I avoided it because of the various software issues. It is a
real bear to try to figure out how to mark an individual QSO with
more than one county. So I ducked that issue.

As only a casual programmer (*very* casual!) I don't know the
solution. Because of the other problems I experienced, I'm going
back to N1MM for next year!

Art - N4PJ

Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

Hi Steve,

>From what you said I get the impression that you added the /
HAM etc
and that
was not what the stations were signing. If that is what you
did,
then IMO
think you should log the QSOs the way they were sent, period.
No
exceptions!

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com
>I used N1MMLogger in the Florida QSO Party this weekend and
recorded
the
> calls of mobiles as N4PN/HAM, N4PJ/CLA, etc. The three
letters after
the
> slash indicate the county in which the mobile was located.
>
> When I export to a text file, the /county stays with the
call
sign.
And
> when I import into DXKeeper, the /county appears to be
interpreted as
> suffix to which a country is assigned. Thus N4PN/HAM is
shown
in
> DXKeeper as Hungary HA and N4PJ/CLA becomes Cuba CO.
>
> The obvious fix is to go through the text file and delete
the
/county
> annotations. A fair amount of work and hassle.
>
> Any alternatives that might allow me to leave the /county
as
it is but
> make DXKeeper happy and accurate?
>
> The /county logging technique is useful and I'd like to be
able to use
> it in future state/regional QSO parties and have DXKeeper
accommodate
it.

> Thanks.
>
> Steve K8JQ
>
> --
> Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
> http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ <http://PatriotPost.US/
subscribe/>
Veritas vos Liberabit

Date: