Topics

The YU's

Earl Needham <needhame1@...>

I have logged contacts with YU7GW, YU4EBL, YU1FJK, and YU2DV. All these were in 1983. These cards all say "Yugoslavia" on them, but QRZ and DXKeeper are telling me Serbia.

I admit that I am a big ignorant of Eastern European geography and politics -- is yesterday's Yugoslavia today's Serbia?

Thanks,
Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT

Joe Subich, W4TV

I admit that I am a big ignorant of Eastern European
geography and politics -- is yesterday's Yugoslavia today's Serbia?
For DXCC, Serbia is the "surviving entity" of what was formerly
Yugoslavia.

I have logged contacts with YU7GW, YU4EBL, YU1FJK, and
YU2DV.
The area represented by YU7 and YU1 is currently Serbia. YU2 is
now 9A (Croatia) and YU4 is now E7/T9 (Bosnia-Herzegovina).

I have logged contacts with YU7GW, YU4EBL, YU1FJK, and
YU2DV. All these were in 1983. These cards all say "Yugoslavia" on
them, but QRZ and DXKeeper are telling me Serbia.

I admit that I am a big ignorant of Eastern European
geography and politics -- is yesterday's Yugoslavia today's Serbia?

Thanks,
Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT

Yahoo! Groups Links

Earl Needham <needhame1@...>

At 09:38 AM 8/19/2007, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

I admit that I am a big ignorant of Eastern European
geography and politics -- is yesterday's Yugoslavia today's Serbia?
For DXCC, Serbia is the "surviving entity" of what was formerly
Yugoslavia.

I have logged contacts with YU7GW, YU4EBL, YU1FJK, and
YU2DV.
The area represented by YU7 and YU1 is currently Serbia. YU2 is
now 9A (Croatia) and YU4 is now E7/T9 (Bosnia-Herzegovina).

OOH!!! OOH!!!

Does this mean I can claim those countries on the basis of my confirmed contacts with those parts of Yugoslavia? Or is it just the one deleted entity?

Thanks,
Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT

Joe Subich, W4TV

Does this mean I can claim those countries on the basis of
my confirmed contacts with those parts of Yugoslavia? Or is it just
the one deleted entity?
No. When you worked them they were Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia became
Serbia as the other ethnic groups achieved independence (split
from) Yugoslavia. Any credits for Yugoslavia count for Serbia -
the government in Serbia still holds the old Yugoslav seat in the
UN and other international bodies.

If you've been around long enough, you may have Netherlands Antilles
credit for a contact in Aruba before 1986. If you were to work the
same station today, it would count for P4 Aruba. The situation is
the same (independence).

At 11:33 AM 8/19/2007, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Does this mean I can claim those countries on the basis of
my confirmed contacts with those parts of Yugoslavia? Or is it just
the one deleted entity?
No. When you worked them they were Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia became
Serbia as the other ethnic groups achieved independence (split
from) Yugoslavia. Any credits for Yugoslavia count for Serbia -
the government in Serbia still holds the old Yugoslav seat in the
UN and other international bodies.
Darn! I was hoping for a freebie!

If you've been around long enough, you may have Netherlands Antilles
credit for a contact in Aruba before 1986. If you were to work the
same station today, it would count for P4 Aruba. The situation is
the same (independence).
Guess I missed that one, but there's always hope that someone will get bored and send a card that I don't remember! <G>

Thanks for the help,