Topics

The YU's

Earl Needham <needhame1@...>

I have logged contacts with YU7GW, YU4EBL, YU1FJK, and YU2DV. All these were in 1983. These cards all say "Yugoslavia" on them, but QRZ and DXKeeper are telling me Serbia.

I admit that I am a big ignorant of Eastern European geography and politics -- is yesterday's Yugoslavia today's Serbia?

Thanks,
Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT

Dave AA6YQ

Yes. When Montenegro split away from DXCC entity #296 (then known as
Yugoslavia), the DXCC decided to change the name of entity #296 to
Serbia.

At 10:53 PM 8/18/2007, Dave Bernstein wrote:

Yes. When Montenegro split away from DXCC entity #296 (then known as
Yugoslavia), the DXCC decided to change the name of entity #296 to
Serbia.
Thanks for the help on BOTH lists, Dave.

Sorry for the multiple posts here, my email program was telling me the message didn't go through.

I found out yesterday morning that DXCC cards would be checked today in Albuquerque, at the Duke City Hamfest, so I hastily assembled a submission and drove up there. Found a few problems, like my QSL card for 3A2LJ was overstamped with a G3???/MM, rendering the card useless for DXCC, although it's still a nice memento of days gone by. Truthfully, it might have been a MM that I contacted, it was 20+ years ago and I simply don't remember. There was also a card for YU7GW, but the card wasn't from YU7GW, it was from an SWL in Lithuania telling that he had heard us, and I had counted the card for Lithuania. Got that fixed, and now I am down to 98 confirmed, but cards should be on the way from N8S, KH0N, WH0C, and SZ6P, so I should have enough shortly.

For some reason, the card record sheet listed Hawaii twice, and continental United States on 6 meters twice, once for SSB and once for CW. Is there something I may have set wrong to make this happen? Dave, for a basic DXCC, I go into DXKeeper, configure/awards, and check NOTHING under DXCC/Top Bands and Modes, right? I had CW checked before when I generated the submission.

Tnx es 7 3
Earl

P.S. -- although I didn't get my DXCC today, I DID take second place in the QLF competition, and won an MFJ coffee cup for it. The had this HUGE straight key, made of plywood & various other stuff, connected to an old CPO. Of course, during the warm up, I had to send "VVV VVV DE KSM KSM KSM", but nobody seemed to realize it! <G>

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, Earl Needham <needhame1@...> wrote:

snip<
Sorry for the multiple posts here, my email program was telling me
the message didn't go through.

No problem, Earl. Yahoo did not convey messages posted Saturday
afternoon and evening (east coast time); then just after midnight, it
began displaying these messages.

snip<
For some reason, the card record sheet listed Hawaii twice,
and continental United States on 6 meters twice, once for SSB and
once for CW. Is there something I may have set wrong to make this
happen? Dave, for a basic DXCC, I go into DXKeeper,
configure/awards, and check NOTHING under DXCC/Top Bands and Modes,
right? I had CW checked before when I generated the submission.

Yes, unchecking all the band and mode boxes in "DXCC/Top Bands and
Modes" is correct. I'm not clear on whether you had the CW box
checked when you generated the card record sheet. My advice is to
regenerate the card record sheet now that you have all the band and
mode boxes in "DXCC/Top Bands and Modes" cleared. If there are still
what appears to be two Hawaiian and US QSOs on the record sheet, then

1. open DXKeeper's Main window's "Log QSOs" tab

2. enable the Aux panel so you'll be able to see the full name of the
currently-selected QSO's DXCC entity

3. examine the two Hawaiian QSOs that appear in on the record sheet;
what DXCC entity is shown for each?

4. examine the two US QSOs that appear in on the record sheet; what

At 11:49 PM 8/18/2007, Dave Bernstein wrote:
I'm not clear on whether you had the CW box
checked when you generated the card record sheet.
I did have it checked, dunno why, though.