Date   
Dx Lab website links

Jon Reeves
 

There are several links on the web site that still link to yahoo groups.  Could someone please correct them to groups.io?
here is example of one:

If you have questions or suggestions, please send them via email to the DXLab reflector.

Re: FW: [ARRL-LoTW] TQSL 2.5 Release now available

Peter Laws / N5UWY
 

"Once ARRL HQ staff pick up these images they'll be signed and published on the ARRL website. Windows users will be offered the update when it is published."

+ Rick's message includes URLs on his personal web page that allow you to upgrade TQSL to 2.5 now.

I'd rather do it through the program itself. Any ETA on when HQ might
figure out how to put this in the right place on their VAX?


--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Re: DXKeeper Log Panels

Rod Greene
 

Thanks to all who helped with this question. I have discovered the problem (I think).

I had imported a large log (via ADIF) from DXBase to DXKeeper. During that import, a few records ended up "Broke". Somewhere around 50 or so. So when I opened DXK, it was also opening the QSL panel to show me that I needed to fix Broken problem records. It did not show a specific one as there were actually many that needed repair.

Anyway, I learned a lot and am now in the process of fixing Broken records.

73 and Thanks again, Rod/w7zrc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 11:26:47 AM MST, Rod Greene via Groups.Io <w7zrc@...> wrote:


I must be missing something because I don't see any broken fields and there are no flashing labels. I've attached a screen shot if that's of any help. It's no big deal for me to uncheck the box each time I open DXK to turn off any panels that I don't need. Just seems there is something incorrect that I am missing.

Thanks for you help! 73, Rod


Re: How to write SQl expessions

iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:41 AM Dave Tucker Nu4N
<@DWT> wrote:

I am not very savy about SQL. Could someone know of a tutorial how to write SQL
There's some introductory information at
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm

SQL is a programming language - not really intended for end-user
consumption (in general). Exposure through the DXLab Suite
applications is quite powerful, but at the cost of complexity for the
user.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Re: Source of DXView Data

 

I am embarrassed to say it was even dumber than an old USAP database, I had the wrong location in the DXView configuration information.  I think when I changed it before, I forgot to save it. 

Thanks,

Bob AF9W

How to write SQl expessions

 

I am not very savy about SQL. Could someone know of a tutorial how to write SQL
73
Tnx in advance
--
 Dave NU4N

Re: Source of DXView Data

iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:23 AM Bob AF9W <@AF9W> wrote:

I just looked up my callsign on DXView and it shows my old location in Arizona (DM42nm), not my new location in Washington state CN87tw. I have been at this location since March of 2018 and QRZ, FCC ULS, and other locations are up to date. How do I get this fixed?
Sounds like you have an old USAP database.

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/Configuration.htm#Databases%20tab

Mine shows that you are in WA/CN87tx.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Re: DXKeeper Log Panels

Rod Greene
 

I must be missing something because I don't see any broken fields and there are no flashing labels. I've attached a screen shot if that's of any help. It's no big deal for me to uncheck the box each time I open DXK to turn off any panels that I don't need. Just seems there is something incorrect that I am missing.

Thanks for you help! 73, Rod

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 9:56:14 AM MST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:


+ AA6YQ comments below

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 06:19 AM, Rod Greene wrote:
1. Starting with all Suite applications closed (not just minimized but closed). I first open Commander and then DXK using Launcher.
 
2. After DXK opens, it is showing the QSL and Auxiliary panels. Note: I have not clicked on New nor do I have Capture open.
 
3. I uncheck the box for the QSL panel. I also check to make sure it is not checked in Config. I have only Auxiliary checked in both places at this time. I have not started any activity. Note: I have saved this layout and made sure the saved config file is the one showing selected in Config.
 
4. I close DXK.
 
5. I open DXK again via Launcher.
 
6. Now both the QSL and Auxiliary panels open with DXK.
 
Why does the QSL panel continue to open even though it has not been selected anywhere.
+ Because DXKeeper considers the QSO you've selected to be "broken", and has automatically displayed the QSL panel because the item in question is displayed in that panel. The item's label should be flashing in blue or red font.

        73,

               Dave, AA6YQ

Source of DXView Data

 

I just looked up my callsign on DXView and it shows my old location in Arizona (DM42nm), not my new location in Washington state CN87tw.  I have been at this location since March of 2018 and QRZ, FCC ULS, and other locations are up to date.  How do I get this fixed?

Bob AF9W

Re: Both QSL and Online QSL

iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 9:14 AM Jim NO0B <jnmeade@...> wrote:

I exchanged contacts with a station and it is a QSL in LoTW and so indicates in DXKeeper LoTW panel. The station sent a paper QSL card and requests one in return. I'd like to note that in the QSL card panel but can't get it to take any changes or additions. Note that the dates of the paper transaction would be different than the electronic one in LoTW QSL in DXKeeper and in LoTW.

Can I have two or more entries with different dates for the exact same contact? If so, how, please?
There are separate date sent/rcvd fields for each of (paper) QSL,
eQSL.cc and LotW.

What do you mean by "can't get it to take any changes"? What steps did
you follow, and what was the outcome?

73,

~iain / N6ML

Both QSL and Online QSL

 

I exchanged contacts with a station and it is a QSL in LoTW and so indicates in DXKeeper LoTW panel.  The station sent a paper QSL card and requests one in return.  I'd like to note that in the QSL card panel but can't get it to take any changes or additions.  Note that the dates of the paper transaction would be different than the electronic one in LoTW QSL in DXKeeper and in LoTW.

Can I have two or more entries with different dates for the exact same contact?  If so, how, please?
--
Jim NO0B

Re: TX7T Prefix unknown in Spot Collector but DXView is fine

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below


On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 08:39 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:06 PM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

This is just my opinion, of course... but I think it dilutes the value of getting overrides from Club Log if we have to go in and manually edit them to make them fully functional.

+ Yes, it would be nice if the information provided by Club Log and BigCTY include grid squares or latitudes and longitudes.


Could you describe a scenario where it would be bad to derive the azimuth from the entity specified in an override (without specific location information) ?

+ Consider the station BY0DX, whose home QTH location is indicated by the 0D portion of the callsign to be in XinJiang Uyghur province in western China, CQ zone 23.

+ An override for BY0DX downloaded from Club Log indicates operation from CQ Zone 24 in eastern or southern China for the next 30 days. How should DXView determine the location of BY0DX within CQ zone 24 so that an azimuth from my QTH can be computed?

+ From my QTH, the short-path azimuth to the western-most section of CQ zone 24 is 7; to the eastern-most section of CQ zone 24, the short-path azimuth is 343. That's a range of 24 degrees.
I would have thought that it would use the center of the DXCC entity
(BY). That would generally be "good enough" for (initial) antenna
pointing purposes. It's not like you're going to log inaccurate award
progress as a result of any inaccuracy ... unless there's a "worked
all azimuths" award that I've not heard of? :)

+ That's unacceptably inaccurate, in my view -- particularly for an override.


Also, why is it reasonable to DXView to derive the headings that way, but not reasonable for SpotCollector to do it?

% DXView's and SpotCollector's behavior is identical: if no override is defined for a callsign, they determine the location by analyzing that callsign - its prefix, its call area, and its suffix - and by consulting the DXCC and USAP databases. If an override is defined, DXView and SpotCollector use the location information specified in that override; if the override doesn't specify a grid square, neither application attempts to guess the location within the specified entity.

% There aren't that many DXPeditions using ambiguous callsigns that expecting users to specify a grid square when defining (or after downloading) an override should be problematic.
There are 1216 entries in my overrides database. That seems more than "not that many". Very few of them have grid squares.

+ There are not overrides for 1216 DXPeditions in your override database.
There are 1216 callsigns that could potentially be spotted. Doesn't
the problem pertain to all of them (that don't have grids) ?
+ At this time, neither Club Log nor BigCity provide lat/lon or gridsquare information; perhaps that will change in the future. For now, either don't download overrides from Club Log or BigCity, or manually update the (likely small) subset of downloaded overrides for stations you are pursuing and add gridsquares to those overrides.

        73,

               Dave, AA6YQ

           

Re: DXKeeper Log Panels

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 06:19 AM, Rod Greene wrote:
1. Starting with all Suite applications closed (not just minimized but closed). I first open Commander and then DXK using Launcher.
 
2. After DXK opens, it is showing the QSL and Auxiliary panels. Note: I have not clicked on New nor do I have Capture open.
 
3. I uncheck the box for the QSL panel. I also check to make sure it is not checked in Config. I have only Auxiliary checked in both places at this time. I have not started any activity. Note: I have saved this layout and made sure the saved config file is the one showing selected in Config.
 
4. I close DXK.
 
5. I open DXK again via Launcher.
 
6. Now both the QSL and Auxiliary panels open with DXK.
 
Why does the QSL panel continue to open even though it has not been selected anywhere.
+ Because DXKeeper considers the QSO you've selected to be "broken", and has automatically displayed the QSL panel because the item in question is displayed in that panel. The item's label should be flashing in blue or red font.

        73,

               Dave, AA6YQ

Re: DXKeeper Log Panels

iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

Hi Rod,

Did you examine the panels for fields that have red or blue flashing
labels, as described on the "BrokenQSOs" page that Dave provided a
link to?

73,

~iain / N6ML



On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 6:19 AM Rod Greene via Groups.Io
<w7zrc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dave and all - Thanks for the suggestions but none have worked. Here's what is happening:

1. Starting with all Suite applications closed (not just minimized but closed). I first open Commander and then DXK using Launcher.

2. After DXK opens, it is showing the QSL and Auxiliary panels. Note: I have not clicked on New nor do I have Capture open.

3. I uncheck the box for the QSL panel. I also check to make sure it is not checked in Config. I have only Auxiliary checked in both places at this time. I have not started any activity. Note: I have saved this layout and made sure the saved config file is the one showing selected in Config.

4. I close DXK.

5. I open DXK again via Launcher.

6. Now both the QSL and Auxiliary panels open with DXK.

Why does the QSL panel continue to open even though it has not been selected anywhere.

Thanks and 73, Rod/w7zrc

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 5:09:39 PM MST, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:


+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm sure this is a simple thing but one I cannot seem to find -

When I open DXK via Launcher, three panels open: QSO; Auxiliary; and QSL.

I only want QSO and Aux to open. I have saved my desired panel settings in the Config menu but the three still open instead of just two.

What am I missing?

+ That means you have selected the Log Page Display entry for a QSO that DXKeeper considers "broken", meaning that one or more of its items contain invalid data, or that one or more critical items are not specified. In this circumstance, DXKeeper automatically enables the panels necessary to draw your attention to the items in question by flashing their labels in blue or red font, depending on the severity of the situation. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/BrokenQSOs>


73,


Dave, AA6YQ



Re: TX7T Prefix unknown in Spot Collector but DXView is fine

iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:06 PM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

This is just my opinion, of course... but I think it dilutes the value of getting overrides from Club Log if we have to go in and manually edit them to make them fully functional.

+ Yes, it would be nice if the information provided by Club Log and BigCTY include grid squares or latitudes and longitudes.


Could you describe a scenario where it would be bad to derive the azimuth from the entity specified in an override (without specific location information) ?

+ Consider the station BY0DX, whose home QTH location is indicated by the 0D portion of the callsign to be in XinJiang Uyghur province in western China, CQ zone 23.

+ An override for BY0DX downloaded from Club Log indicates operation from CQ Zone 24 in eastern or southern China for the next 30 days. How should DXView determine the location of BY0DX within CQ zone 24 so that an azimuth from my QTH can be computed?

+ From my QTH, the short-path azimuth to the western-most section of CQ zone 24 is 7; to the eastern-most section of CQ zone 24, the short-path azimuth is 343. That's a range of 24 degrees.
I would have thought that it would use the center of the DXCC entity
(BY). That would generally be "good enough" for (initial) antenna
pointing purposes. It's not like you're going to log inaccurate award
progress as a result of any inaccuracy ... unless there's a "worked
all azimuths" award that I've not heard of? :)


Also, why is it reasonable to DXView to derive the headings that way, but not reasonable for SpotCollector to do it?

% DXView's and SpotCollector's behavior is identical: if no override is defined for a callsign, they determine the location by analyzing that callsign - its prefix, its call area, and its suffix - and by consulting the DXCC and USAP databases. If an override is defined, DXView and SpotCollector use the location information specified in that override; if the override doesn't specify a grid square, neither application attempts to guess the location within the specified entity.

% There aren't that many DXPeditions using ambiguous callsigns that expecting users to specify a grid square when defining (or after downloading) an override should be problematic.
There are 1216 entries in my overrides database. That seems more than "not that many". Very few of them have grid squares.

+ There are not overrides for 1216 DXPeditions in your override database.
There are 1216 callsigns that could potentially be spotted. Doesn't
the problem pertain to all of them (that don't have grids) ?

73,

~iain / N6ML

Re: Question about missing data in DXCC database

Salvatore Besso
 

ok, I assumed it.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Re: Question about missing data in DXCC database

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

is it normal that some records in the DXCC database are missing the
IOTA reference?
Yes.

Australia
Multiple (very many) groups - not all callsigns
qualify for IOTA.

Turks & Caicos Islands
multiple groups (NA-002, NA-003)

Marshall Islands
multiple groups (OC-028, OC-029, OC-087, OC-263, OC-278)

Pitcairn Islands (while Ducie has the IOTA reference)
multiple groups (Pitcairn, Henderson).

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2019-11-12 9:01 AM, Salvatore Besso wrote:
hello all,
is it normal that some records in the DXCC database are missing the IOTA
reference? Some examples:
Australia
Turks & Caicos Islands
Marshall Islands
Pitcairn Islands (while Ducie has the IOTA reference)
Thank you.
73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Re: DXKeeper Log Panels

Rod Greene
 

Dave and all - Thanks for the suggestions but none have worked. Here's what is happening:

1. Starting with all Suite applications closed (not just minimized but closed). I first open Commander and then DXK using Launcher.

2. After DXK opens, it is showing the QSL and Auxiliary panels. Note: I have not clicked on New nor do I have Capture open.

3. I uncheck the box for the QSL panel. I also check to make sure it is not checked in Config. I have only Auxiliary checked in both places at this time. I have not started any activity. Note: I have saved this layout and made sure the saved config file is the one showing selected in Config.

4. I close DXK.

5. I open DXK again via Launcher.

6. Now both the QSL and Auxiliary panels open with DXK.

Why does the QSL panel continue to open even though it has not been selected anywhere.

Thanks and 73, Rod/w7zrc

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 5:09:39 PM MST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:


+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm sure this is a simple thing but  one I cannot seem to find -

When I open DXK via Launcher, three panels open: QSO; Auxiliary; and QSL.

I only want QSO and Aux to open. I have saved my desired panel settings in the Config menu but the three still open instead of just two.

What am I missing?

+ That means you have selected the Log Page Display entry for a QSO that DXKeeper considers "broken", meaning that one or more of its items contain invalid data, or that one or more critical items are not specified. In this circumstance, DXKeeper automatically enables the panels necessary to draw your attention to the items in question by flashing their labels in blue or red font, depending on the severity of the situation. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/BrokenQSOs>


    73,


            Dave, AA6YQ



Question about missing data in DXCC database

Salvatore Besso
 

hello all,

is it normal that some records in the DXCC database are missing the IOTA
reference? Some examples:

Australia
Turks & Caicos Islands
Marshall Islands
Pitcairn Islands (while Ducie has the IOTA reference)

Thank you.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Re: Sync With LoTW

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below.

I want to print QSL labels from DXKeeper. I only want to print labels for contacts that are not QSL in LoTW. Many of the contacts in DXKeeper show "R" in QSL rec'd even though they are QSL in LoTW.

+ That's plausible. A QSO's "QSL Rcvd" item indicates the status of its confirmation via a paper QSL card.

I've Sync LoTW QSO and Sync LoTW QSL and nothing changes the "R". I even tried to update one record and it didn't work. I'm totally confused. How do I make a contact that is QSL in LoTW also show as QSL in DXKeeper?

+ DXKeeper maintains separate items for confirmation status by QSL card, by LoTW, and by eQSL AG. A QSO's LoTW Confirmation status has no impact on its QSL card confirmation status. A QSO's LoTW confirmation status is maintained in the its "LoTW Rcvd" item".

+ If your objective is to print labels for QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress, then assuming you've configured DXKeeper with you award goals, clicking the "Add Needed" button on the Main window's QSL tab will populate the QSL Queue accordingly; no labels will be printed for QSOs already confirmed via LoTW.

+ If your objective is to print a label for every QSO not already confirmed via QSL card or LoTW, then

1. filter the Log Page Display with the SQL expression

(QSL_RCVD not in ('Y','S','V')) and (APP_DXKEEPER_LOTW_QSL_RCVD not in ('Y','S','V'))

2. on the Main window's QSL tab, populate the QSL Queue by clicking the "Add All" button

73,

Dave, AA6YQ