Date   
Re: Commander and N1MM

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Hi Chris. I run the two together with no problems. I first set up a pair of virtual com ports to provide a path between N1MM and DXLab Commander. In my case, the pair is COM14 and COM15. COM14 is defined in N1MM Configure ports as a TS-480 with parameters 38400,N,8,1. Enable both HW and SW PTT is checked. COM15 is then defined in Commander config as the Secondary CAT Port with same parameters. Check the enable box. Choose Kenwood as rig protocol. Select "follow and lead primary". That path allows N1MM to access the frequency info from Commander. One thing not supported that way: if you have a macro in N1MM to set the transceiver RIT to zero, that is not passed to Commander and will be lost.

+ This is the first I've heard that N1MM will happily run when connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Re: Commander and N1MM

ve3ki
 

If you are specifically interested in doing FT8 from WSJT-X with N1MM+ doing the logging (contest operation), I suggest you consult <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=WSJT-X+Decode+List&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation>, and in particular FAQ 5.1. This is probably not worth the bother for normal non-contest operation, but during a contest the duplicate and multiplier checking from N1MM+ is very worthwhile.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 02:43 PM, Chris wrote:
I'm sure I'm missing something either in DXLabs docs or in the 900 page N1MM manual.  Today I installed N1MM according to their instructions but when I tried to run N1MM with the DXLab Suite running, up popped the error message that "COM4 is in use by another program".  That's very true and obviously N1MM and Commander can't share.  So the question is, how does one get around this situation?  WSJT seems to handle it by allowing Commander to do the controlling but that option doesn't seem to be available in N1MM.  I have a suspicion that this is just the beginning of the challenge or running N1MM with DXLab.  I've got the Gateway installed but that seems to address a different operation.

Thanks for any daylight Dave or another user can shed to get me started down the path.

Chris NØCC

Re: Commander and N1MM

Chris
 

Good info, Rich, thanks. That will be another layer in the operation.

Chris NØCC


On Apr 20, 2019, at 3:23 PM, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

If you are specifically interested in doing FT8 from WSJT-X with N1MM+ doing the logging (contest operation), I suggest you consult <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=WSJT-X+Decode+List&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation>, and in particular FAQ 5.1. This is probably not worth the bother for normal non-contest operation, but during a contest the duplicate and multiplier checking from N1MM+ is very worthwhile.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 02:43 PM, Chris wrote:
I'm sure I'm missing something either in DXLabs docs or in the 900 page N1MM manual.  Today I installed N1MM according to their instructions but when I tried to run N1MM with the DXLab Suite running, up popped the error message that "COM4 is in use by another program".  That's very true and obviously N1MM and Commander can't share.  So the question is, how does one get around this situation?  WSJT seems to handle it by allowing Commander to do the controlling but that option doesn't seem to be available in N1MM.  I have a suspicion that this is just the beginning of the challenge or running N1MM with DXLab.  I've got the Gateway installed but that seems to address a different operation.

Thanks for any daylight Dave or another user can shed to get me started down the path.

Chris NØCC

Re: Win 10 ?????

n4qwf .
 

Thanks Mike, That sounds like a viable solution. I will keep it in mind for the future.

73<<John

Re: Commander and N1MM

Floyd Sense
 

I'm using VSP Manager from K5FR.  If you're a licensed ham, k5FR will send you a free copy.  You could also use VSPE and there are a couple of others as well.

Re: Commander and N1MM

Floyd Sense
 

Yes - works just fine.   It would be perfect if Commander would only pass the RIT reset command through to the connected transceiver via the secondary CAT port.  Any chance of that?

Re: Commander and N1MM

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

On 2019-04-20 3:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ The only way to have more than one application control the same transceiver is by using a CAT port sharing application. I'm only aware of two reliable implementations of CAT port sharing:
Win4IcomSuite and Win4YaesuSuite:

<https://icom.va2fsq.com/>

<https://yaesu.va2fsq.com/>
Also Win4K3Suite for Elecraft K3, K3S, KX3 and KX2 ...

https://va2fsq.com/

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2019-04-20 3:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I'm sure I'm missing something either in DXLabs docs or in the 900 page N1MM manual. Today I installed N1MM according to their instructions but when I tried to run N1MM with the DXLab Suite running, up popped the error message that "COM4 is in use by another program". That's very true and obviously N1MM and Commander can't share. So the question is, how does one get around this situation? WSJT seems to handle it by allowing Commander to do the controlling but that option doesn't seem to be available in N1MM. I have a suspicion that this is just the beginning of the challenge or running N1MM with DXLab. I've got the Gateway installed but that seems to address a different operation.
Thanks for any daylight Dave or another user can shed to get me started down the path.
+ The only way to have more than one application control the same transceiver is by using a CAT port sharing application. I'm only aware of two reliable implementations of CAT port sharing: Win4IcomSuite and Win4YaesuSuite:
<https://icom.va2fsq.com/>
<https://yaesu.va2fsq.com/>
+ LP Bridge claims to provide this capability for Elecraft radios, but has proven to be unreliable.
+ Low-level port sharing applications like com0com are ignorant of CAT protocols, and thus cannot be used for this purpose.
+ Why do you want to run DXLab and N1MM simultaneously?
+ During contests, many ops run DXKeeper, and use the N1MM-DXKeeper bridge so that QSOs are logged to N1MM are also logged to DXKeeper.
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm>
+ You can also run DXLab components like SpotCollector, DXView, and PropView in parallel with N1MM, though any function dependent on Commander running will not be available.
73,
Dave, AA6YQ

Re: Win 10 ?????

Floyd Sense
 

A clean install is the best thing to do.
Nothing at all wrong with a clean install, but I wouldn't agree that it's the best thing to do.  My Win 10 system started out as a Win 7 system years ago and I've done nothing but upgrades to the system over that time.  I allow Windows to manage the updates and apply them as they come out.  My system is rather complex and in all that time I've had just a single problem and that was a short time ago when an update added the feature of restricting application access to sound cards.  Other than that, there have been zero problems.  I've run most of the common and a few uncommon radio applications with no glitches.  Could be I'm just incredibly lucky, but I think most radio folks are needlessly clinging to the past Windows versions.  It would be interesting to know exactly what the leftover trash is that people often mention.  I routinely manage what's installed on the system and remove any programs I don't want or need and clean the Registry every now and then.

RE Win 10 free upgrade

Phil Cooper
 

Hi all,

 

As far as I know, the free update IS still available, providing you have a valid Win 7 key.

You can download the Win10 package and use your Win7 key to activate it. The only condition is that you get the same version of Win10 as you have of Win7.

 

This is how I recently got a Win10 machine with my Win7 key.

 

73 de Phil GU0SUP

 

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Rhodes
Sent: 20 April 2019 19:56
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Win 10 ?????

 

John,
  I could be wrong but I don't think the free upgrade to Win10 is available anymore. If not, I would suggest investing in new or reconditioned hardware (including Win10) rather than putting out over $100 for Win10 alone. You can get a reconditioned I5 or I7 based computer, again, with Win10, for a couple hundred dollars. Got my last one thru Walmart and couldn't be happier. I upgraded it to a SSD and maxed the RAM but wouldn't of had to do either.

Mike / W8DN

On 4/19/2019 5:15 PM, n4qwf . wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like a clean install would be the way to go. I will still likely wait until I have no choice but move to Win 10. When Dave says he is still holding on to Win 7 that sure impresses me.

 

When I got the Flex Radio I set it up using a computer that was built especially for the system. It has always preformed excellently. It has handled PowerSDR, DXLab, WSJT-X, N1MM all running at the same time without issue. I do not use it for email and other internet chores even though it is connected to my in house network and the internet.

 

I guess for now I will follow the advise "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

 

Thanks <<John N4QWF

 

Re: Can't Upgrade Most DXLab Suite Apps

KE0CP
 

Cliff comments below

+ Please reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking". Then start the Launcher, and attempt to upgrade one of your DXLab applications. Does the upgrade succeed?

Yes that worked! What is the problem that requires the Safe Boot?

Thanks,
Cliff

Re: Can't Upgrade Most DXLab Suite Apps

Dave AA6YQ
 

Most likely, the problem is that one of your anti-malware apps is not configured to allow the Launcher to access the internet.

     73,

           Dave, AA6oYQ

Re: RE Win 10 free upgrade

Stan Gammons
 

After downloading the ISO from MS a few weeks back and using a Win 7 key, it worked for me.  I did the upgrade though, not a clean install.  Probably should have done a clean install.


73

Stan
KM4HQE


On 4/20/19 4:20 PM, Phil Cooper via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi all,

 

As far as I know, the free update IS still available, providing you have a valid Win 7 key.

You can download the Win10 package and use your Win7 key to activate it. The only condition is that you get the same version of Win10 as you have of Win7.

 

This is how I recently got a Win10 machine with my Win7 key.

 

73 de Phil GU0SUP

 

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Rhodes
Sent: 20 April 2019 19:56
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Win 10 ?????

 

John,
  I could be wrong but I don't think the free upgrade to Win10 is available anymore. If not, I would suggest investing in new or reconditioned hardware (including Win10) rather than putting out over $100 for Win10 alone. You can get a reconditioned I5 or I7 based computer, again, with Win10, for a couple hundred dollars. Got my last one thru Walmart and couldn't be happier. I upgraded it to a SSD and maxed the RAM but wouldn't of had to do either.

Mike / W8DN

On 4/19/2019 5:15 PM, n4qwf . wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like a clean install would be the way to go. I will still likely wait until I have no choice but move to Win 10. When Dave says he is still holding on to Win 7 that sure impresses me.

 

When I got the Flex Radio I set it up using a computer that was built especially for the system. It has always preformed excellently. It has handled PowerSDR, DXLab, WSJT-X, N1MM all running at the same time without issue. I do not use it for email and other internet chores even though it is connected to my in house network and the internet.

 

I guess for now I will follow the advise "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

 

Thanks <<John N4QWF

 


Re: Commander and N1MM

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm using VSP Manager from K5FR. If you're a licensed ham, k5FR will send you a free copy. You could also use VSPE and there are a couple of others as well.

+ Neither of the should be used to connect two transceiver control applications to the same transceiver. They are fine for connecting Commander's Secondary CAT port to another application or to a panadapter or to a receiver.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Re: [FlexRadio Systems] Re: MOX/Transmit not stopping/releasing after WSJT-X transmits

K4PX K4PX
 

Eric
My 6400Maestro is not keying correctly under V3 either.  Can that also be a DX Commander issue or something else?  Never an issue working CW on V2.4x.
Thanks
Joe 

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019, 1:39 AM Eric Wachsmann (FlexRadio Systems) <support@...> wrote:
## Please do not write below this line when replying ##

Your request (#30177) has been updated.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, follow the link below:
http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/requests/30177

You can also add a comment by replying to this email.

Eric Wachsmann (FlexRadio Systems)

Apr 20, 12:39 AM CDT

Joe,

Just like you can't disable the multiple users option on your PC, the multiFLEX option cannot be disabled in v3.0.  Having said that, you can prevent access to the radio via SmartLink credentials and access to the network.

We are working with Dave and are homing in on the issue.  I expect that we should have an answer soon.

Eric Wachsmann, KE5DTO
VP of Software Engineering

FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Suite 1-150
Austin, TX 78728

Joe Hill

Apr 19, 10:40 PM CDT

Please let me know will the software patch from Dave is available

Joe Hill

Apr 19, 8:42 PM CDT

Eric
How do you turn multiflex off in v3?
Thanks
Joe

Eric Wachsmann (FlexRadio Systems)

Apr 19, 4:27 PM CDT

Joe,

Unfortunately, all software sales are final per our Terms and Conditions.  We are aware of an issue with unkeying the radio that we are working with DX Lab on.  Until then, one easy fix would be to setup WSJT to talk through SmartSDR CAT.  I have attached a couple of screenshots of how I have that setup.

Another option is to revert to v2.4.  If you do that, make sure that you perform a factory reset and import your settings that you exported from v2.4 before you updated.  Let me know if this addresses you questions.

Eric Wachsmann, KE5DTO
VP of Software Engineering

FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Suite 1-150
Austin, TX 78728

Attachment(s)
Untitled2.png
Untitled.png

Joe Hill

Apr 19, 2:45 PM CDT

Eric:

I am using DX Labs so DX Commander is the "radio" selected. And yes, CAT is selected under PTT. I have not changed anything at all in my setup since upgrading to v3 SmartSDR, and have never had one RF issue. Any other ideas? Was working perfectly on FT8 until V3 loaded. I think I would like to roll back to v 2.4x and get my $199 back...how can we do that? Thank you.

73,
Joe

Eric Wachsmann (FlexRadio Systems)

Apr 19, 12:57 PM CDT

Joe,

How do you have the PTT control setup in WSJT?  I would recommend using a setup similar to the attached screenshot (you'll need to match this with the ports created on SmartSDR CAT).  If this is a control problem, it is probably related to that.

It could also be an RFI issue with RF power getting into the network system and causing it not to respond to the RX command.  You can check this by turning the power down to 0 and see if it stops happening.

Let us know what you find.  We're here to help.

Eric Wachsmann, KE5DTO
VP of Software Engineering

FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Suite 1-150
Austin, TX 78728

Attachment(s)
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png

Joe Hill

Apr 19, 12:50 PM CDT

New issue with v3.0.1.9 as follows. When I call a station on FT8 using WSJT-X of course, when the 6400/Maestro MOX red light on Maestro and the red on/off 6400 button get "stock on"...in other words they do not release and return to receive. I have to press the MOX button on the Maestro a couple of times to stop the transmit mode. HELP!
Thanks,
Joe
K4PX

This email is a service from FlexRadio Systems. Delivered by Zendesk.
[ERKR26-962O]

Re: Commander and N1MM

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Yes - works just fine. It would be perfect if Commander would only pass the RIT reset command through to the connected transceiver via the secondary CAT port. Any chance of that?

+ That's a slippery slope. The purpose of Commander Secondary CAT port is to support frequency and mode tracking. If I extend this to better support N1MM for one transceiver model, I'll eventually have to extend it to support every transceiver model.

+ How would your needs not be satisfied by using the N1MM-DXKeeper bridge and letting N1MM exclusively control the transceiver?

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm>

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Re: Win 10 free upgrade

Phil Cooper
 

Stan,

I believe there is a way to do the clean install with the ISO and the Win7 key. Can't recall the steps right now.

73 de Phil GU0SUP

-----Original Message-----
From: "Stan Gammons" <sg063015@...>
Sent: Sunday, 21 April, 2019 01:21
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] RE Win 10 free upgrade

After downloading the ISO from MS a few weeks back and using a Win 7
key, it worked for me.  I did the upgrade though, not a clean install. 
Probably should have done a clean install.


73

Stan
KM4HQE

Re: PropView band selection

Andy k3wyc <a.durbin@...>
 

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 01:56 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ Before generating a "To the DX Station" prediction, specify the appropriate Takeoff angle and Power in the "Your Station" panel on the Main window's Parameters tab.
Seems a bit clumsy but, yes, that does work.  Wouldn't a Freq selection under the mode selection of Parameters/Conditions be more convenient?  The available choices would be Rig and all the bands that are populated in "frequency dependent settings".   Setting would default to Rig at program start.

However. given the number of replies to my original post,  I doubt there is enough interest to justify the effort.

73,
Andy, k3wyc

Re: Win 10 free upgrade

Danny Douglas
 

Wish I could remember what I did with the W7 number issued 10 years ago. sigh


N7DC@...
Ex WN5QMX,WA5UKR,ET2US,ET3USA,SV0WPP,VS6DD,N7DC/YV5/G5CTB
QSL Bureau, DIRECT, LOTW Preferred, eQSL used but upload at a courtesy only, as do not use the system for awards.

On April 21, 2019 at 3:21 AM "Phil Cooper via Groups.Io" <pcooper=suremail.gg@groups.io> wrote:


Stan,

I believe there is a way to do the clean install with the ISO and the Win7 key. Can't recall the steps right now.

73 de Phil GU0SUP

-----Original Message-----
From: "Stan Gammons" <sg063015@...>
Sent: Sunday, 21 April, 2019 01:21
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] RE Win 10 free upgrade

After downloading the ISO from MS a few weeks back and using a Win 7
key, it worked for me.  I did the upgrade though, not a clean install. 
Probably should have done a clean install.


73

Stan
KM4HQE






Re: PropView band selection

Dave AA6YQ
 

* AA6YQ comments below

+ Before generating a "To the DX Station" prediction, specify the appropriate Takeoff angle and Power in the "Your Station" panel on the Main window's Parameters tab.

Seems a bit clumsy but, yes, that does work. Wouldn't a Freq selection under the mode selection of Parameters/Conditions be more convenient? The available choices would be Rig and all the bands that are populated in "frequency dependent settings". Setting would default to Rig at program start.

However. given the number of replies to my original post, I doubt there is enough interest to justify the effort.

* Better automation for the "generate a propagation prediction for Band A while the radio is on Band B" scenario is certainly possible, but my suspicion is that its use would be so infrequent that few would remember how to employ it. Typing in a take-off angle and power output isn't that clumsy...

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Re: [FlexRadio Systems] Re: MOX/Transmit not stopping/releasing after WSJT-X transmits

davidg7hjx@...
 

Similar issue here, all was working perfectly with previous version, WSJT, FLDigi and MRP40 all playing nicely with Commander. After updating SmartSDR anything triggering the PTT via Commander made it stay on until MOX was pressed. Even using Commander itself had the same effect. Only workaround I have found is to set the radio in Commander to Kenwood, only issue is mode switching doesn’t work as Kenwood don’t have a DIGI-U mode.

Hope this helps till a new version of Commander comes out.

de Dave G7HJX