Re: Multi radio user-defined controls

on6ml

Hi Guido,

Can be done. In a cookbook/recipe approach you do the following:

Start "Commander", click the "Config" button which brings you to a separate window "Commander Configuration".
Then click the tab "Multi Radio" and fill in items 1 and 2 for following groups:
group "Control"
: Radio 1 e.g. the TS870: Model = KENWOOD, leave CI-V Addr open, Interrogate selected, Interval = 200, Name = TS-870S, Enable selected;
: Radio 2 e.g. the K3: Model = K3, I guess CI-V addr may be left open, Interrogate selected, Interval = 200, Name = K3
Read the help file to see if you need to change the interval and/or Interrogate selection

group "CAT Serial port" = Radio 1 here corresponds to Radio 1 of "Control", radio 2 here to radio 2 of " controle, and also as such for the group "User-defined Control Sets"
: Radio 1 - here specify on which serial port number your transceiver is connected, specifyin the baudrate, wordrate, parity, number of stop bits, and if DateTerminalReady (DTR) and RequestToSend (RTS) is used. The baudrate is either settable in the transceiver or fixed in the transceiver. Word, parity, stopbits and DTR/RTS are normally fixed in the transceiver. Consult the manuals. For Kenwood TS870S they are DTR=Y and RTS=Y.
: Radio - do same but for K3
In any case you need the transceiver manuals !
Also make sure you assign the correct port number to the correct transceiver. It might be clever to remove temporary one port, check which one it is and configure it. After than restart the pc, insert second port, find out which port number and then configure the second radio. Otherwise some playing with serial port terminal (if still available on your operating system might do the trick of finding out who is where.

As you want to assign the transceivers to specific frequency bands I think you can already go to
group "Selection by band"
and select for each band in the drop-down box which transceiver goes with which band. After than you can click the Auto selection. If no transceiver shows it is possible that you first need the next group defined (I also am still learning the tricks of this trade...)

Next go to group "User-defined Control Sets" - this is the hard part.
For radio 1 click "Edit". This will show you teh "Commander User-defined Control Set Configuration" for the first radio (Kenwood in this case). This Control Set will tell the system which initialisation commands (Inital Command) and which initialisation file (Initial Command Sequence) must be applied and where the buttons and sliders definition are located that must be loaded for that specific radio (transceiver). I think it good practice to save this the first time immediately after creation with the button "Save". You will need to specify path and name for this "Control Set". I e.g. use C:\DxLab\Commander\Control Sets\TS-870\(CS)TS870.txt as name. Some explanations: C:\DxLab\Commander\ is where I installed the software and you need to change it for your case, Control Sets\ is a directory made by the software and (CS)TS870.txt is the name of the file. CS stands for Control Set and TS870 - well yes - stands for the Kenwood TS-870S.
For the moment you can close the first control set and do the same (Edit button) for radio 2 and you may save the file in (using my path as an example) C:\DxLab\Control Sets\K3\(CS)K3.txt.
You are of course free to use the naming you like, but be consistent because it can become quite quickly a real puzzle.
Both Control-Sets are quite empty for the moment, but don't worry.

Close the control set panel and look now to the "commander" panel itself. Under the main frequency display you should now see two "radio buttons" labeled "TS-870S" and "K3"
If you now select one of them the appropriate "control set" will be loaded; meaning execution of inital cat commands, initialization file and defined buttons and sliders for that transceiver. Not much for the moment, because we did not define any yet.
By the way, it might be smart to save already existing sliders and buttons first to disk (Save in the definition panel) and then load a blank definition. Loading of the control set will also occur if you change to a band served by another radio than the actual one.

Now you can start defining buttons and sliders. See the help files for details about that. If you need some examples I can provide them, but first read the help files and then ask.
Important: save the definition to a file. I make sure that the file name contains button or slider ID, transceiver ID and short usage identification.
So eg. Button corresponding to F5 for transceiver Kenwood TS-870 would have the name (F5)TS870_CQ_ON6ML.txt (it is used to send a cw cq call via the Kenwood interface). Slider 1 which sets cw speed has the name (S1)TS870_CW_SPEED.txt. Identical commands for the K3 would have been named (F5)K3_CQ_ON6ML.txt and (S1)K3_CW_SPEED.txt
Anyway, DO REMEMBER THE NAME you gave.

If you have defined a button or slider, you must have it appear in the appropriate Control-Set.
DO NOT CHANGE TRANSCEIVER OF BAND UNTIL FINISHED !
Click "Config", tab "Multi Radio" and the "Edit" button of the appropriate "User-defined Control Sets" radio.

The panel "Commander User-Defined Control Set Configuration" appears.
See if you have the correct one based on the name of the file in the "Control Set pathname". Better be safe than sorry.
Now click the "Select" button corresponding to the created button or slider in the "User-defined Controls" group. This will enable you to search and select the filename in which you have written the definition in the previous activity (say e.g. (F5)TS870_CQ_ON6ML.txt)
This filename will now appear after the corresponding "Sequence _ pathname" and will be loaded next time the transceiver is selected.
I prefer to "Save" the Control Set after each definition instead of waiting until everything has been defined.

You can go the same way for sliders. Do not forget to update the "User-defined" Controls group and save the "Control Set".

For the correct working of the buttons and sliders a initialization may be necessary. Can it be one by a simple CAT-command then you can put those commands in the "Inital Command" text field of the appropriate "Control Set".
Are there several CAT-commands or sliders initialisations then I prefer to use the "Initial Command Sequence" file (see group with same name).
STILL WITH SAME TRANSCEIVER SAME FREQUENCY
Click in the configuration panel (Control Set may be left open) on the tab "General" and click on "Edit" in the group "Initial Command Sequence".
This will open a new panel "Commander User-defined Command Sequence Initial Sequence" with 32 lines of notes and commands. Read the help file! As one of the commands I could have put for the TS-870 first slider following: <Slider 1,025> meaning that the cw speed slider S1 will be set to 25 wpm at start of transceiver.
Hint: in Note 32 I normally indicate for which transceiver this "sequence" is. Remember that you can destroy a transceiver with the power of software ( well... wrong commands...)
Do not forget to save this "sequence" file; I would use the "Control Sets" directory and name the file (IPL)TS870_INIT.txt

NEXT, go back to the "Commander User-defined Control Set Configuration" and "Select" the file you just have made/edited in the group "Initial Command Sequence". Do not forget to activate the "enabled" selection if you want the statements contained in it executed.

Do so for the remaining buttons and sliders and then select another transceiver and start the procedure anew.

I realise that you will need to reread this several times, confirming that a picture says more than thousand words. However that would have taken me also much more time to make. But who know, maybe there won't be that many sunspots and will I have some time to document this procedure with some graphics.

Good luck,

73s de Mike
ON6ML / OQ4A

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, Guido Rasschaert <on7gr@...> wrote:

Hi All,
I've got a configuration set up with a K3 and a first radio TS 870 as a second, multi-radio, and so this work well.
For practical reasons, currently I use the K3 from 160 to 17 and the TS870 from 15 to 10.
I have several user defined controls for both TX's.
My question is can I configure the commander that the user defined controls needed for the K3 only present if the K3 is active and that the controls for the TS870 are present if it is active.
I think this can be done via configuration commander, multi-radio, user-defined set of Control.
But here it is over for me. I do not know what I'm here and in the
Radio 1 and 2 edit to enter.
I've searched the help files but I'm not wiser.
Are there any examples available?

Thanks in advance

73 de ON7GR  Guido

excuse for my english