From: dxlab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxlab@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
wj_henderson
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 10:38 AM
To: dxlab@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dxlab] New PC Needed

Not really off topic, but maybe stretching it a little.

I'm getting fed up with my PC. I seem to be lurching from one crisis to
another. Yesterday, and again this morning, the thing refused to wake up. It
needed another poke in the ribs and a severe talking to before it would
stir. It's time to start again with a shiny new one.

I've trawled the web, and looked in shops, but the more I look the less I
understand. I use a PC for going on line, emails and letter writing,
keeping household accounts and watching YouTube videos. I can't see me
getting involved editing films or playing arcade games. Of course its main
use would be to house DXLabs.

What should I be looking for?

What make and model PC do you have now, Bill? How much RAM is installed?
How big is it's hard drive?

Before giving up on your current system, you might consider doing the
following:

1. backup your log and all other critical information (email, letters,
accounts, etc)

2. download the freeware version of "Advanced SystemCare", and run through
its diagnostic and repair procedures. In particular

- minimize the Windows "startup list" to those applications you always use

- free-up disk space

- defragment the hard drive

If that's not effective, you could (after verifying that everything is
backed up and that you have access to all of the applications you use)
perform a clean installation of Windows, perform all of the Windows updates,
and then install your applications.

While the above steps are time-consuming, they have the benefit of
costing nothing.