From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...] On Behalf Of
af7s@...
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:55 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: [dxlab] Re: MAc Advice

If you have other reasons to change to a MAC, such as you're involved in
photograph or graphic arts or video production or the like where the Mac
excels, then great.

I'm in that industry, and although they're great machines, I still use PC's
because I can buy twice or three times the PC for the same price as a MAC,
and I'm not reliant on one vendor.

But for general use as a computer in an amateur station, it doesn't seem
like a very good fit. All the best programs are written specifically for
PC's

Since you already have a PC, why not then just dedicate it to the ham
station, and use your MAC for the other purposes for which you might be
buying it.

--- In dxlab@... <mailto:dxlab%40yahoogroups.com> , "Joe Subich,
W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

On 4/24/2011 10:01 AM, Neil Zampella wrote:
That said, moving to a MAC is much easier now as there are programs
that do (or are better than) the same as Windows programs.
The one place that's not the case is amateur radio software. Although
Don Agro's MacLogger DX is a fine program it is not as good as DXLab
Suite and beyond MLDX there isn't another day-to-day logger for Mac
that I would even consider. The same can be said for contesting soft-
ware ... Tom Linder's RUMLog/RUMPed are good but the are not nearly as
functional as N1MM Logger or WriteLog. Chen's cocoaModem is a superb
digital package but its user interface is quirky ... fldigi has a mac
version but it is hampered by its developers' refusal to support
Applescript for integration with other software (MLDX, uH Router,
etc.).

On 4/24/2011 10:01 AM, Neil Zampella wrote:
That said, moving to a MAC is much easier now as there are programs that
do (or are better than) the same as Windows programs.

In addition, running Windows programs on the latest Macs are much easier
since they're using Intel chips, and the Windows emulators have a lot
less chip functions to emulate.

On 04/24/11 08:35 am, Rich - W3ZJ wrote:
See: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DXLabMacintosh

But personally I wouldn't do it. Stick with a PC and Windows 7 if only
because it is the most popular OS in the world and thus has more user
support and more available native applications. I know I'm going to get
some flack over that statement but it's my opinion and that of most
other PC users.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

ve1sk wrote:
Hi All, I am looking at moving to a Mac from a PC but I don't want to
chance logging software. I see that you can run dxlab in Parallels. Can some
one give me a brief run down on the process to get Dxlab running on a Mac?

Thanks Steve, VE1SK