Re: DXKeeper Failed to Launch after 180 seconds

Charles Morrison

FWIW, Don and Dave, I too noticed a slowdown in the load time of DXK
following each import from a contest. I just chalked it up to having
a bunch of qso's in the log. Last count I had close to 10k.

W5WMU has over 30k qsos in his and his is slow as well. I considered some of
your suggestions Dave, and checked hardware, available memory, AV products, etc.
Nothing really pointed to why my and Pat's logs took so long to load. Both he
and I are P4's with 2GB ram. He's on a laptop, Im on a desktop.

While not on the time of minutes, its not snappy as it was when there were less
qso's in the log. Im not at home to check, but I know that last test mine would
take on the average probably about 30 seconds to load. All other DXL apps work
fine.

I know for fact that Don and I share the bulk log loading from RTTY contests and
both of us use Writelog. Pat also uses Writelog and loads qso's hundreds at a time
as opposed to one'sees here and there. I also have mine set to auto backup on exit
to a thumb drive.

As Dayton draws near, I need to start getting cards ready for another application.

Charlie
KI5XP

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:16:20 -0500
"Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@...> wrote:
Performed some tests tonight. Each time DXKeeper 9.4.0.0 was started
from Windows Explorer after a restart of Windows and waiting
for CPU usage to drop to 0%.
Tried on my laptop first running Windows XP Media Center Edition
version 2002, SP3 with Intel T2300 @ 1.66GHz and 1 GB RAM:
Windows Normal Mode: 4 minutes, 10 seconds to open.
Windows Safe Mode no networking: Between 6 and 11 minutes (had to
leave the room).
Windows Safe Mode with networking: 4 minutes, 10 seconds.
Windows Normal Mode again: 4 minutes 0 seconds
Ran a backup and it took 4 minutes to complete.
On Desktop running Windows XP Pro version 2002, SP3 with Intel
Pentium 4 @ 2.66GHz and 1 GM RAM:
Windows Normal Mode: 8 minutes 15 seconds
Windows Safe Mode no networking: 8 minutes 10 seconds
Windows Safe Mode with networking: 7 minutes 45 seconds
The think the laptop has a dual core processor. Wonder if that's why
it takes only half the time as the Pentium 4.
I'm going to break down my exports from DXbase 2006 into smaller
files starting with years 1972-2000 (24,400 Qs), then by year 2000
(22606 Qs), 2001, etc and import each year separately to find out if
there's anything I'm importing that's corrupting the database
or something of that nature. I know when I ran EU scripts on the
original import that there were a lot of things that had to be
fixed.
I did do another raw import of my original DXbase 2006 export ADIF
file and it still takes the same amount of time to start DXKeeper
on the new log file. So scripts did not change the database to the
point where it's this slow.
I'll report back on my export/import job when it's completed. Maybe
tomorrow, but probably later this week.
BTW, it takes less than 20 seconds to change from one log (raw
import) to my AA5AU log file (after fixing busted contacts and
running Scripts) with same number of contacts. Also, it takes less
than 20 seconds to recover from a backup, if this helps. It
still takes over 4 minutes to run a backup.
73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com <http://www.aa5au.com/>
http://www.rttycontesting.com <http://www.rttycontesting.com/>
_____