VP8ORK as VP8-F

Anthony W. DePrato

At 05:43 PM 1/31/2011, you wrote:
I did not see the earlier response by Joe on this subject, sorry. But
that still begs the question of how DXVIEW or SpotCollector interprets
the DXCC database as it does? I see nothing in there about all of the
VP8 calls being assigned to the Falklands.

I guess for now an override is the appropriate fix.

73
Pete K5GM

Pete
very few realize that the Post Master in Stanley is the issuing officer for ham calls. the Falklands for many years did not have telephone service between a lot of the camps and ranches on either the East or West Islands or the 20 some smaller islands surrounding them. you do not have to set a test in the Falklands but cause for years ham radio was used as the interisland telephone . many schools would hold class over the radio so that the kids out in the camps could have an education. for years i supplied crystals for a lot of the hams so they could put their radios on the interisland freq. at 2mhz. Since they figure that South Sandwich South George South Shetlands South Orkney ect. are all under the Protectant and part of VP8 one call works for all. To help keep the islands apart in your logging programs as each is a dxcc credit the programers came up with the VP8-F VP8-SG VP8-O VP8-SI VP8-SH . SO when you worked a VP8 and found out where he was you just checked which of the databases it fell into. other then base operations people on the islands that have military bases all the islands have no people living on them.
The bottom line is. if you work any VP8 it will be listed as Falklands unless you setup and exception .

73 Tony VP8BLZ