Re: RTTY setup problems

Joe Subich, W4TV

I cannot seem to find a WW setup that works properly. With WW set
up to put the rig in RTTY mode I can key the rig and hear the audio
but only get a carrier. No other tones.
Signalink USB is not a RTTY (FSK) interface it is *ONLY* a soundcard.
If you are going to use Signalink USB, you must operate RTTY as AFSK.
With Icom, Kenwood and TenTec transceivers that means LSB (normal) or
USB (REV) - not RTTY which is FSK and requires a separate FSK (shift)
keying signal. With Yaesu transceivers Signalink requires operation
in the PKT (normally LSB) or DATA (newer rigs like the FT-8x7, 450,
etc.) modes.

Remember, except for the Elecraft K2 and Kenwood TS-440 the if a rig
has a dedicated "RTTY" mode it is FSK which requires a FSK signal.
The FSK signal is a KEYED (contacts open/closed or TTL High/Low)
signal - not an audio tone.

If I switch the settings to LSB Digital I can apparently key the
rig, but hear no tones in my speaker. It appears that unless I set
the rig up in RTTY mode only the wide filter is usable. The
narrower filters are not centered around the mark and space
indicator lines in WW. What am I doing wrong?
That is the nature of Icom transceivers. The narrow filters are not
available in AFSK (LSB_Data) modes ... they are only available in the
true RTTY (FSK) mode.

On 12/25/2010 10:31 AM, wc5m wrote:
Dave,

I was having this trouble a week or two ago and still haven't resolved the problem.

Until recently I ran RTTY on my Icom 746Pro with a Kantronics KAM PLUS TNC set up for FSK keying. The TNC alway gave me intermittent problems so I decide to switch to WinWarbler's MTTY engine for transmit. I am using a Tigertronics Signalink USB interface for keying the transmitter via the 6-pin data port.

I cannot seem to find a WW setup that works properly. With WW set up to put the rig in RTTY mode I can key the rig and hear the audio but only get a carrier. No other tones.

If I switch the settings to LSB Digital I can apparently key the rig, but hear no tones in my speaker. It appears that unless I set the rig up in RTTY mode only the wide filter is usable. The narrower filters are not centered around the mark and space indicator lines in WW. What am I doing wrong?

Mark WC5M