From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...]On Behalf Of
lratcliff lratcliff
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:45 PM
To: dxlab@...; N1MMLogger@...
Subject: [dxlab] OT desktop computer advise

I an thinking about getting a new desktop, as well as the netbook.

I will be running mostly ham radio programs (dxlabs, N1MM logger, Multipsk,
Airmail) but will also be the general all around house computer. I do some
picture editing (nothing intense), music, and of course the internet. Not
much into games, other than the older command and conquor games.

How much performance gain will I see with the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7500
(3MB L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB, over the Intel® Pentium® dual-core E5300
(2MB L2, 2.6GHz, 800FSB)? Everything else being equal.

From the data you've provided, about all we can say is "the E7500 won't
be slower than the E5300". The relative performance of two systems except
for their processor depends on the amount and speed of RAM, the motherboard,
and the seek time and rotational latency of the mass storage system. The
only way to know for sure is to build both systems, and then measure their
performance while running a representative benchmark.

The E7500's 3MB level 2 cache is 50% larger than the E5300's; this
difference will likely be more signficant than the ~10% faster clock rate.
Its important to balance the CPU with sufficient RAM. My impression is that
some users are beginning to bump against the 3GB RAM limit imposed by 32-bit
versions of Windows. If you're planning to use this system for awhile, you
might consider installing Windows 64, even if you start with 2GB of RAM; if
you go this route, be sure that

-- all of the applications you care about will run in this environment
(DXLab applications all run well in both the 32-bit and 64-bit flavors of
Windows 7)

-- 64-bit drivers are available for all of the hardware you care about (e.g.
serial port interfaces and usb-to-serial-port adaptors for transceiver
control, rotor control, and FSK)

-- the motherboard in the system you choose is expandable to at least 8 GB
of RAM

Will the Integrated Intel® GMA x4500 Graphics do 2 monitors, with the
desktop expanded across both monitors? Would I really gain anything with
the ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB? Unless I get new monitors also, I would be
useing VGA CRT monitors that I already have.

I have no experience with iether of these graphics adaptors. However, if
your existing monitors are truly VGA resolution (640x480), you will not be
able to run DXLab applications, as the minimum resolution required is SVGA
(800x600). I don't know where the "sweet spot" stands in LCD displays these
days, but MicroCenter is advertising an Acer 20" LCD with 1600x900
resolution for $120. Viewsonic and Samsung offer similar units for $10 or
$20 more.