Re: free off-site backup

Steve K8JQ

For what it's worth . . . I've used the free 2GB Mozy service for several months. Seems to me that it works as advertised.

Like Dave, I have no affiliation with Mozy other than being (so far) a satisfied user.

Steve K8JQ

Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Awhile back, I mentioned that I'd begun using "SOS Online Backup", an
off-site backup application that charges $20 annually for 2 GB of offline
storage and $30 annualy for 5 GB of offline storage. I set this up to
perform daily backups on my DXLab Development, Digital Photography, and XYL
PCs. While all of these systems are backed up nightly to a server, my data
was still vulnerable to a single catastrophe.

Unfortunately, "SOS Online Backup" has problems. The "client" application
that runs on each PC has resource leaks, takes forever to start up (around 2
minutes on my DXLab PC), and doesn't accurately report the amount of storage
in use. When I reported these problems to the company, they eventually sent
me a new version of the client that while improved in some dimensions is far
less reliable; it's great if you're a collector of stack traces.

I have begun evaluating Mozy (www.mozy.com) and find it to be both reliable
and useable. Initially, I was put off by the fact that files within

c:\program files

could not be selected for backup, but there's a configuration option that
overrides this. The free version of Mozy gives you 2 GB -- likely more than
enough for your email, personal documents (not images), and log files. In

<http://mozy.com/home>

and look for the "MozyHome Free" box along the left margin.

For those needing more than 2 GB, unlimited storage will cost you $5/month
for one PC.

I have no affiliation with Mozy beyond being a satisfied (so far) user.

Read The Patriot Post
hppt://PatriotPost.US/Subscribe/ Vetitas vos Liberabit