From: Art
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 10:09 AM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Re: beacon spots- THEY ARE BACK

glhuber@... wrote:
Re: Beacon Spots.... I'm guilty of making a few Beacon Spots. But I do find them useful when trying to determine actual propagation conditions to a specific part of the World. I use the SH/MUF <prefix> on the DX Cluster, use PropView, and listen for the Beacon... I don't see the Beacon Spots having much value in the SpotCollector database though.

73 and DX,

Gary - AB9M
Gary
Re my email about "useless beacon spots" what I meant to say, and should
have, is they're not useful to me. Hopefully we all recognize they're
useful to SOMEone in radio land, else the beacons probably would not
exist! I use the NCDXF beacon network all the time these days on 12M,
because that is the only HF band left where I haven't yet reached 100
confirmed. I hear some beacons, but no DX. It's my choice not to spot
beacons heard since any interested party can tune them in as well, while
recognizing others like yourself may not feel the same. And, I probably
should act differently, for those who can't be near a receiver as in
when at work, who might find spots useful. I recall earlier days I went
home from work just to work a DX station back when we had the phone
spotting network.

Is CSM(r) what I think it means?

73 Art