Re: Importing a Large DX4Win Log

Joe Subich, W4TV

Rick,

The log is made up of combined logs from all my calls. Primary use
is award tracking - so for DXCC US locations were OK and I could pick
dates for 5BWAS.
Are all your calls from within the "lower 48" or do they include QSOs
made from multiple DXCC countries?

Does DX4Win include your callsign ("Station_Callsign") in its ADIF
export or is it a simple list of all QSOs?

If not, can you do multiple exports from DX4Win separating the data
by callsign?

1) myQTH ID does not have a date field. Is that important?
No. WAS and VUCC are based on distance among locations not by date.

2) When it is imported and I want to update the LoTW status of the
ENTIRE log, what is the best way? I have LoTW and paper QSL cards
for my Honor Roll and 8BDXCC.
There are two issues at play ... LotW (upload/confirmed/awarded) status
and DXCC credit status. There is documentation in "Getting Started with
DXLab Suite":
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted>
that will walk you through those issues.

The first step is to get your import done and properly categorized by
callsign and QTH:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper>

After that you will want to look at:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/AwardTracking>
particularly the section on "Managing DXCC Credits" for sorting through
the HR/8BDXCC credits.

The number one piece of advice (and I've intentionally "buried the
lead") is *BACK UP YOUR LOG AT EACH STEP ALONG THE WAY*. That way
if some import/update/modification goes wrong you can take a step back
and go a different direction (or ask for help).

On 2022-07-04 9:00 AM, Rick Heinrich wrote:
I remain a new user! I've been using DXKeeper for about three years and
have been working my way through a bunch of different learning curve issues.
But now it is time to bite the bullet and import my large DX4Win log. It
is about 120k QSOs.
The log is made up of combined logs from all my calls. Primary use is
award tracking - so for DXCC US locations were OK and I could pick dates
for 5BWAS.
So the initial question is what is the best way to import the log? I
realize there is a special DX4Win import which (I assume) recognizes some
of the field structures of DX4Win into DXKeeper. But here are some
specific issues/questions:
1) myQTH ID does not have a date field. Is that important? My award
selections for Callsign/QTH are date specific so it may not be. But if it
is pertinent then I have the complexity of having a call, changing the
call, and then reapplying for the original call several years later so I
have two date ranges for a single call sign with another call sign in
between. Should I break the imports in call/date specific segments. QTH
lat/long will vary for the same callsign.
2) When it is imported and I want to update the LoTW status of the ENTIRE
log, what is the best way? I have LoTW and paper QSL cards for my Honor
Roll and 8BDXCC. I've read many posts about size of files that seem to
choke LoTW and hit a policy brick wall. I am not trying to fool the
system, but want to get all the records straight.
I have been dragging my feet on this for over a year because I am
intimidated by the impact of missing a critical setting in the transfer or
misinterpretation of a setting or field. I don't want to screw up my
existing 3k QSO log that was started in DXKeeper in 2019.
Is there a "step-by-step" guide for "dummies"? ;) There is a lot of info
in 55 years of DXing and contesting. Some may not be recoverable if I
screw up because some of the original logs no longer exist or were done in
software that I may not have a loadable copy.
I graciously ask for the guidance from this key resource.
Rick N0YY