Re: WW with Flex 6000 , sidetone ?

dxradio33

Joe, the scenario you describe below will work just fine. (Although I cannot speak for WK mini) Just another way to do it. The problem however, is still the sidetone in the way you would probably use it in a contest environment and that and that would be probably wearing headphones. Local Winkeyer's will provide a sidetone but it is from piezo device within the box. Not quite what you want when you have earphones on. In addition, you need a windows computer running at the radio location to host WKRemote which adds more complexity and overhead to the equation. In any event , this does work but requires two Winkeyer's and PC's at both ends. I have personally done this with WKRemote but is still not satisfactory for quick exchanges over the WAN. The additional overhead of PtoP application plus latency = problematic operation at CW contesting speeds.

73's

Joe K8FC

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2022 17:20
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] WW with Flex 6000 , sidetone ?

On 2022-05-29 3:45 PM, dxradio33 wrote:

My view was towards using N1MM+ or any other application utilizing
> Winkeyer connected via a serial port as the cw generating application.

Look into K1EL's WKRemote and a second Winkeyer (even WK mini). I'm
not quite sure how the three (WKremote, 2 x Winkeyer and N1MM) would
work together but it should be possible.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-05-29 3:45 PM, dxradio33 wrote:
Yes, I should have been a bit more specific. My view was towards using N1MM+ or any other application utilizing Winkeyer connected via a serial port as the cw generating application. In addition , if you are using Commander and WW to send CW, your only choice is keyboard and you still have no access to a paddle if your radio is in a remote location on the LAN. Also, Commander and WinWarbler are not usable over the WAN. I did say below "when keying the radio using a virtual serial port created in CAT"
I am not advocating my suggestion only offering it as an alternative to the sidetone issue.

Joe K8FC
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2022 13:46
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] WW with Flex 6000 , sidetone ?

+ AA6YQ comments below

Sidetone is not conveyed to SmartSDR when keying the radio using a virtual serial port as created in CAT. It is only available if you use CWX keyboard keying feature of SmartSDR or a Maestro.

+ When WinWarbler is configured to send CW via "XCVR Ctrl App" and Commander is controlling a Flex Signature radio via a LAN, WinWarbler sends the text be transmitted to Commander, which conveys it to SmartSDR using the CWX command.

Dave, AA6YQ

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.