Re: Enhancement Request

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Sorry only catching up with this thread now – have been laid up with a nasty bout of ‘flu!!! (Plus a week of Rolling Blackouts have kept the email PC switched off!!)

During a recent exchange with LoTW Support over some problems with TU5PCT uploads (one of which was on 60m) I was quite shocked at their response and comments regarding 60m – it appears that the ARRL are TOTALLY oblivious to developments worldwide on this band!!!

These are their comments:

There are no awards or any plans to add awards to 60m for a variety of reasons.

  • The Amateur Radio Service is a secondary user on this band.  TRUE
  • Most 60m allocations were permitted to fill the void between 7 and 3.5 MHz to provide communications during emergencies and to enable government agencies communicate directly with operators from the Amateur Radio Service.  This was demonstrated most recently during the response to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.    NOT REALLY APPLICABLE OUTSIDE THE AMERICAS
  • Many countries are still trying to get a 5 MHz allocation.  Competitive activity would only hurt their chances to be granted access to 60m.  MOST COUNTRIES HAVE 5MHZ ALLOCATION ALREADY
  • Allocation on 5 MHz is channelized.  COMPLETELY FALSE OUTSIDE THE USA – ZS FOR EXAMPLE HAS 5350-5450 CONTIGUOUS.
  • Some countries are only permitted domestic communications on this band. NOT THE CASE IN THE VAST MAJORITY OF ENTITIES

And finally, there are not even 100 countries with a 60m allocation so earning DXCC is impossible. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH – I PERSONALLY HAVE 107 CONFIRMED VIA LoTW (119 WORKED), MANY OPS HAVE UPWARD OF 150 CONFIRMED. OZ1ABE reports 233 WORKED.

Really, 60m is a great band – especially via FT8. The ARRL however seem to have their own agenda regarding this band, and choose to keep their heads buried firmly in the sand. This is quite sad, but it is their prerogative. Dave has stated several times that until the ARRL change their stance 60m will not be supported within the Award Tracking of DXKeeper – he has however provided the tools to follow our activity via scripts.

Incidentally there are 60m Awards available via https://60metersonline.com …. As this is a very rudimentary website, don’t ever expect Dave to support these awards!!  (NOTE : despite my interest in 60m, I WHOLLY appreciate and support Dave’s stance this band!!!)

So, if you are into DXing for fun (not for DXCC / WAS etc) 60m is great – but if Awards are your sole interest this band is not for you!

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

EPC#0558 DMC#1690  30MDG#4081

DXCC HONOR ROLL (332/340)